Started by Hobbit99

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

9 posts in this topic
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,769 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
10-22-2021, 10:09 AM -
(10-19-2021, 11:09 AM)PantherFan007 Wrote: First and foremost, I love CMC, but the knock on him prior to being drafted was people saying he would not be able to hold up to the physical demands of being an every down back.  From the way it looks, they are unfortunately correct.

Secondly, I'm about to fall off the Sam Darnold bandwagon.  He seriously ISN'T that good.  He "could" be good, but he isn't.  He can't see downfield.  There were several opportunities to hit a WR wide open downfield when he threw the ball away, or checked it down to somebody behind the line of scrimmage.  Just not a good decision maker at all so far.

And what's worse is Robbie Anderson.  It looks like he couldn't catch a cold if he was buck naked in January in a swimming pool full of covid patients.  Give him a huge contract and he suddenly can't catch a football.

WELL.....  Let me say This about That..

I too love CMC  (and you know I luv you too, BUT...)  The "knock" on CMC was not his "holding up". It was all about his size and not being able to "run between the tackles."  And yes, that DOES correlate (somewhat..) to physicality. However, CMC proved himself (and the naysayers wrong...). He can and DOES run just about wherever he wants to, whenever he wants to.!! He's incredibly smart and incredibly agile and the workload is only a minor issue that the COACHING staff should be able to manage. At this point in this epic post, I will take the time to remind you (everyone..) about another player who was doubted. Remember TD (Thomas Davis..) who was thought to be 'history', 'done', 'WASHED UP' after not one, not two, but THREE ACL injuries and operations. He came back and finished out his time playing the best football of his career.!! CMC's injuries have been minor. He has a LOT of miles and a LOT of yardage left in his game. We just need a coaching staff who knows how to manage, monitor and regulate playing reps.

Now, about Sam Darnold.... Sam was (and still is..) our best opportunity at the position. He was drafted third (3rd..) OVERALL in 2018. You don't get that draft position for no reason.!! Sam has a terrific arm and an really quick release. His early career has been a real mess. NO chance to learn anything with the Jets. Just like they manage all their draft picks. Darnold has a LOT of upside. He will be a really good QB given a little time to mature in OUR system. Truthfully, he's had a lot of things working against him. New coaching staff and team (thankfully..), new playbook, new supporting players, new receivers..... I didn't really expect him to come out burning things down. I WAS hopeful, and still am. The biggest part of the 'problem" he's having is the play calling forcing him to hold the ball longer than is wise. Remember back at the end of last year and this spring and early part of this season..... Everyone was 'talking' and "calling for' long plays downfield. "Taking a shot" so to speak. The talk was everywhere.!! SURE... it looks good to the fans.!!  But those plays take time to develop. You just can't get receivers 30-40 yards downfield after being 'tagged', 'bumped' at the LOS, within a "normal" window of time. ANYTIME we call plays that take a long time to develop or routes that have "double moves" or change of direction.... well, there is a SIGNIFICANTLY increased chance of getting your QB hit, sacked, mauled.....  Sure those plays LOOK good for the fans and TV, but they are not good for QBs. QB needs to deliver the ball in three seconds or less. The really "GOOD" ones average around 2.5 seconds or less. You can't do that and wait on deep routes or receivers against 'man' coverage getting held up at the LOS. It just isn't going to happen. 

The last "remembrance" I'll mention here is last year and this year after the draft. ALL of you guys were saying it'll take three to four years to become viably competitive. Maybe the playoffs in three, a "deep run" in four.  Here we are in year TWO and everyone is complaining because we don't have a team full of pro-bowlers and we lose a few games.!! It WILL take a little time. Better get used to it.!

Messages In This Thread
WTH.... Seriously..!!! - by Hobbit99 - 10-16-2021, 06:29 PM
RE: WTH.... Seriously..!!! - by Josh21 - 10-16-2021, 11:33 PM
RE: WTH.... Seriously..!!! - by Hobbit99 - 10-17-2021, 01:30 AM
RE: WTH.... Seriously..!!! - by Josh21 - 10-17-2021, 04:10 PM
RE: WTH.... Seriously..!!! - by Hobbit99 - 10-17-2021, 05:57 PM
RE: WTH.... Seriously..!!! - by Josh21 - 10-17-2021, 06:37 PM
RE: WTH.... Seriously..!!! - by Hobbit99 - 10-17-2021, 10:20 PM
RE: WTH.... Seriously..!!! - by Josh21 - 10-18-2021, 11:43 PM
RE: WTH.... Seriously..!!! - by PantherFan007 - 10-19-2021, 11:09 AM
RE: WTH.... Seriously..!!! - by Hobbit99 - 10-22-2021, 10:09 AM