Started by Hobbit99

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

23 posts in this topic
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,770 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
11-11-2022, 12:54 PM -
(11-11-2022, 11:25 AM)Firstchance Wrote: If I were in charge and I know I’m not, I will be getting Freeman signed to a two or three year deal and extend Luvu. As far a PJ, I’m still not a buyer. He has done decent at times with what I consider perfect game plans from McAdoo and not so perfect at other times…and quite frankly just about anyone in division football “could” be able to carry out those game plans in the same way PJ has, both good and bad. Those game plans take the air out of the ball and creates play action opportunities. Now if we can’t be aggressive and successfully run the football then we and PJ will be in big trouble. So with that said I will also give a big shout off to the oline. I expect our opponents to make adjustments and try to shut down our run game and if that happens I feel PJ will have major issues.

With all that said, agree or disagree, it just my opinion.

Regarding who plays, I think it will be PJ. Baker is done! We will accept losing a 5th round pick verses a 4th rounder if he gets enough snaps. Darnold might get some time, with the hope someone signs him and we can get a compensatory pick…otherwise we move on from them both.

I assume First was talking about Foreman, not "Freeman", and I agree with him. I've said several times that I thought Walker was just a place-holder, a backup QB in the NFL. It's not that he doesn't have some talent. He does (SOME..). The problem is he is inconsistent. With a good game plan he can manage a game. But like First said, almost any QB in the league can do that given a well-designed game plan. It's what happens when things start to go wrong that counts.

I think there are TWO factors under consideration with Mayfield. One, as First alluded to, is the compensation to the Browns, where there is a 5th rounder going to them (or a 4th if playing time is met..). Obviously, the Panthers would rather it was a 5th, so there is some thought to holding Mayfield down a little to avoid triggering the 4th.  The second factor under consideration is compensation to Mayfield. His contract agrees to a 'significant' cut in pay.....with an option to "earn back" a big bunch of the original contact amount as a "performance bonus". Obviously, the Panthers don't want to pay Mayfield the "performance bonus" either. If they can save that money, it can be carried forward to add to our available "CAP" number for next year. Right now, we're on the hook for Mayfield's entire contract (18 Mil..) if he performs to a standard. If the "performance standard" is NOT met, we will save up to 13 Mil to be added back to our available CAP at the end of the contract. That 13 Mil is just as important (..???) as the difference in draft picks.
So, if we can "save" both of those things...... Yep. That's right.

So, I see PJ playing, and probably Darnold as well. Yes, Mayfield will play some more, but he will stay below the 70% of 'snaps' by the end of the year.....And he won't make the "performance bonus" either. At least that's the way I see it.  OTOH... What do I know..???  Huh

Messages In This Thread
RE: WEEK 10 THOUGHTS -- BEFORE & AFTER THE GAME - by Hobbit99 - 11-11-2022, 12:54 PM