Time to start talking college QB’s
Started by Firstchance

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

6 posts in this topic
Firstchance

716 posts 81 threads Joined: Dec 2019
11-18-2022, 11:57 AM -
As I mentioned, when watching all these games I try to translate how their game/play would relate to the next level. Not just QB’s but on many positions. However, with our need of a real QB for the future my emphasis has been more on them than other positions. With that said here are the items that I look for…arm strength, accuracy (and down the field not this Mickey Mouse short dump off let your receivers get yards and your completion percentage increases, those guys just don’t fit) mid level down field and most importantly how accurate they are at throwing the out. Their pocket presence. Their ability to see the field. The ability to not stare down and lock on to that one receivers. Their ability to be mobile but not necessarily as a runner. Their leadership as I perceive it. Their release, throwing motion and their follow through, do they step into to throws or throw off the back foot…do they throw off the back foot when needed but not as a standard procedure.

Now why I am registering all these items in my mind and not writing down notes I can remember them, even in my old age, to a high degree.

First let’s take Drake Maye off the table since he can’t come out. I’m pretty sure all the others “can” but might not as another year of college could help them. I hope it doesn’t hurt Maye because that kid has it all… the only thing I would possibly question is his overall leadership which may come along with being a redshirt freshman. Even though I see him improving and being “more into it” as each week passes.

I will over the next short period of time try to explain what I have seen, liked, disliked and the inbetween on the others.

Penix, First thing that sticks out is that he is a lefty, not sure that is either good or bad but he reminds me of a guy by the name of Steve Young. Yes I said it. He has the velocity and most importantly is that he throws strikes to each level. But what I have also noticed is that he doesn’t give away his throw, he has doesn’t stare down receivers. He’s a rather big guy, 6’3” give or take., has a good pocket presence, has a good pocket presence, hangs in there rather well, steps up and move laterally…. A little surprised that while he is mobile he doesn’t run a lot, that might be a byproduct of his coach because he is mobile. This kid has the tools…it is obvious… the only thing negative is like Maye he doesn’t appear to be that leader so to stay, I think he is a transfer in and still a new kid on the block… but in his last game you could see a little more come out in him. At this point in my book Penix is the man, the number one guy. However, being on the west coast he has had a couple games that I have not been able to see or record, like this w/e they okay on the pac network and I don’t get that. But the following week they play Washington St who has Cameron Ward, who I also like just not nearly as much as Penix at this point. Hopefully that game will be on Fox.
This post was last modified: 11-18-2022, 12:21 PM by Firstchance.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Time to start talking college QB’s - by Firstchance - 11-18-2022, 11:57 AM