Started by PantherFan007

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

7 posts in this topic
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,770 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
04-14-2023, 01:35 PM -
(04-14-2023, 08:27 AM)PantherFan007 Wrote: David Tepper strikes me as someone who might grate against my own personality.  A sort of "My way or the highway" kind of guy.  Maybe I'm completely wrong, who knows?  But I get the feeling he's a, "I'll hear your opinions, but it's MY decision to make".

Yes... I would guess that you're correct. He is THE owner of a multi-Billion dollar 'Sports and Entertainment' enterprise. There are NO venture capitalists.; There are NO partners. There are NO Minor Ownership people involved. He built his wealth by being a successful 'manager.'  He understands risk vs. reward and how to maximize ROI. And he has prior NFL experience in Pittsburgh.  I guess you could say he is sort of an anomaly in major-league sports.

So.... I can see where he might want to exert some control. He has proven over and over that he understands what it takes to be successful. It's HIS business. It's HIS money.  Why shouldn't he exert some control.?? As a franchise owner, the only person or entity he answers to is THE LEAGUE.

But I also believe that he is a realist. He has a good team of executives to do the work. He is a MAJOR contributor to local charities and supports the Carolinas. He has had to learn some lessons, but I THINK (???) he has done so.  He didn't get where he is by being stupid.

As far as his 'management style' is concerned...... who knows.??  He is a rather "brash" individual. Always has been if you can believe what you read. Sort of a "no need to sugar-coat it, just get the job done" kind of guy. OR... "If you want to play on MY team, just realize that it's MY ball."  So yeah, he probably does irritate some of the executives. Those executives need to understand that they "are playing with someone else's money." Tepper doesn't answer to shareholders or a Board of Directors. It's his team and his money. The responsibilities are his, and so are the decisions.

Right way.??  Wrong way.??  You can argue that point. And some folks will always insist that they know how to run things better.... that Tepper is a bungling idiot.  But I sincerely doubt that.... He WANTS to succeed here. And my guess is, he will.  With apologies to Voltaire (I think it was Voltaire.??) "I may not agree with your 'decisions', but I'll defend your right to make them...".....  (I really shouldn't modify historical quotes like that to suit my purposes, but..... Oh well.)
Tongue

Messages In This Thread
RE: PANTHERS' VP OF FOOTBALL OPERATIONS RESIGNS - by Hobbit99 - 04-14-2023, 01:35 PM