Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

7 posts in this topic
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

3,048 posts 569 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-27-2023, 12:03 PM -
Interesting game.....

So, Bryce Young.... Better this time. It remains to be seen how he will show against first line defenders. Almost every team was slow-rolling their Offenses and Defenses this past week. You can bet everyone will be waiting for a chance to bust up the Panthers party. The Falcons will get the first opportunity. And then the Saints will take up the challenge. First two weeks of the season, and two Division rivals. We BETTER be ready. Seriously.!! 

One thing I noticed (and I hope I'm wrong) was that neither Young nor Dalton were really "ready" to play. Having lots of "snaps" against your own guys just doesn't get it done. Practice is good, don't get me wrong. It's just that there were no "headhunters" grinning at you or bearing down on you just waiting for any opportunity to make you eat a little dirt. It will be an altogether different mentality come game time.  'Hide and Watch'.

Last thing. Ikem Ekwonu. 1st round pick last year. My choice, I admit it. I was happy with the pick. He started off very slowly last year. His Pass-pro was abysmal early last year, gradually getting a little better as the season got close to the mid-point. Now this year... I am NOT impressed. There is no doubt that he is a VERY capable LT in run situations, just like last year. I've said it several times here (and elsewhere). Ekwonu has lazy feet. It's best described as the difference between being PRO-active and RE-active. As a run-blocker he has a definite assignment (PRO-active). Get on your guy and block ahead in a certain direction. Move your guy in a certain way to open a hole and protect the runner going toward a certain spot. Pretty cut and dry.... In passing situations, it's different. You have a job, but it's completely dependent on what the opposing defense does. You have to be REactive. Be aware. Observe. React to the Defense and block however necessary to counter your man and protect the QB. You have to be ready to counter any move and any player. And therein lies the problem.... Ekwonu has lazy feet. He doesn't react. Not with any sense of urgency.  I keep hoping he'll get better. PLEASE...
Praying
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFICIAL WEEK THREE PRESEASON 2023 GAMEDAY THREAD - LIONS @ PANTHERS - by Hobbit99 - 08-27-2023, 12:03 PM