Started by PantherFan007

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

21 posts in this topic
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,158 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
09-04-2023, 03:07 PM -
You know, I'm not sure how I feel about this.  But, he is STILL under contract this year and is STILL being paid.  In my world, you don't get paid if you don't work, and if you don't work, you lose your job.   

Panthers' Brian Burns not practicing amid contract stalemate (msn.com)

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Two-time Pro Bowl selection Brian Burns sat out his second straight scheduled practice Monday, and there are no guarantees the Carolina Panthers outside linebacker will be on the field for Sunday's opener against the Atlanta Falcons if he doesn't have a new contract.

Coach Frank Reich, once again, called Burns choosing not to practice a "personal matter'' just as he did Thursday before the team took a three-day break.

But when asked what changed with Burns between Wednesday, when he did practice, and now, Reich said, "I'm not involved in the contract negotiations. At all. I have zero [input].''

Reich added that owner David Tepper and general manager Scott Fitterer asked for his "certain views'' on the situation, which he expressed.

"I'm just worried about getting my team ready to play Atlanta,'' Reich said. "Do I hope he is there? Absolutely, I hope he is there. If he's not there, I'm not worried about it. Just move forward."

Burns, 25, is scheduled to make $16 million this season after the Panthers picked up his fifth-year option as the 16th pick of the 2019 draft. He is seeking a long-term deal that will make him among the top paid edge rushers in the NFL.

He was at Bank of America Stadium for team meetings Monday, just as he was Thursday, making this more of a hold-in than a holdout. Approached during the media's open locker room session, Burns said, "I ain't got nothing to tell you.''

His decision not to participate in the last two practices came after he participated in all offseason workouts and training camp.

Messages In This Thread
BRIAN BURNS SITTING OUT PRACTICE AMIDST CONTRACT CONCERNS - by PantherFan007 - 09-04-2023, 03:07 PM