Started by PantherFan007

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

21 posts in this topic
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

3,048 posts 569 threads Joined: Dec 2019
09-07-2023, 01:10 PM -
(09-07-2023, 05:37 AM)PantherFan007 Wrote: Short of being able to push a fire truck to Maui, I don't think anyone is worth $170M for five years.  Just saying......

EXACTLY.....

Still, it's not really a 'thing'. If he is getting $120 M (guaranteed) over 5 years, that's way too much (IMHO). That would amount to $24 M per year (guaranteed).  Who wants to bet that he is still playing (UNhurt) and at the same level five years from now.????  Definitely NOT me.  I don't wish bad luck on any player. --- But, it's NOT a safe bet.

I would say that around $20 M per year is about maximum.  AND, I don't believe I would guarantee it for 5 years either.!!!!!  I would say 3 years then 2 additional years IF (and only IF) certain performance standards are met.  OR, make it a "graduated" contract.  $20 M in years 1 & 2; then $23 M in year 3; $24 M in year 4; and $25 M in year 5. ALL dependent on hitting performance objectives.

What kind of "performance objectives".??  Glad you asked.  Maybe *** Play 70% of Defensive snaps;  ***60 total tackles (solo + assisted);  ***10 sacks;  ***xxx number of QB 'hurries' or 'pressures'; ***15 TFL;  ***xxx Passes Defensed;  ----  Those kind of things.

OR alternatively,  A LOWER base salary with guaranteed "bonuses" for certain levels of performance.

Lots of ways to do it.  One thing for certain --- NO Golden Parachutes. NO rewards for "sitting out". No play = No pay.  No sitting around BS-ing. No 'giving up', 'dogging it', lack of effort.  If you want to be "appreciated" and "PAID", then you have to PERFORM. 

Pretty Simple .....
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"

Messages In This Thread
RE: BRIAN BURNS SITTING OUT PRACTICE AMIDST CONTRACT CONCERNS - by Hobbit99 - 09-07-2023, 01:10 PM