Started by Hobbit99

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

18 posts in this topic
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

3,048 posts 569 threads Joined: Dec 2019
10-03-2023, 05:03 AM -
So, Josh called me out because I had not contributed to this thread.  And he was right to do so.  So, what do I think..???

Well, first things first. Note that I have set up a "signature line" at the bottom of my posts. It represents my core belief when it comes to discussing any topic that might be controversial. "A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind." To me, that means I have to think about what I'm saying. Exercise good judgement, and be willing and able to back up what I say with adult-style reasoning. That 'Tag Line' has stopped me from making a fool of myself many times, so I adhere to it....especially in a public forum.  That process has slowed my responses to this topic. I readily accept the fact that I could be wrong. I also acknowledge that I CAN and WILL change my mind, especially when someone shows me why I'm wrong. Do that, and I'll admit my error and gladly support your position.

So.... Here is what I think.

I think the Panthers are 'stagnating'. We are going nowhere fast. We are currently heading into a seething mass of mediocrity. That is not to say that we can't or won't change. Just that right now, the future doesn't look good. As a general outlook, I think that describes my feelings toward the Panthers potential this year. I've heard all of the "hopeful" stuff. But as my "grandpappy' used to tell me.... "Hope in one hand and crap in the other.... then see which one fills up first."

When Steve Wilks took over the team last year, I think that all of us believed that the season was in the crapper. And it was.... However, the team turned around and played inspired football for awhile. No big long winning streak, but it relieved the pain and suffering and gave us a little hope for this year. I was a little surprised when Wilks wasn't given the job. Not a LOT surprised, but a little surprised. So I was a somewhat ambivalent when it was announced that Frank Reich was going to be the new HC. I know Reich has some bonafides and knows a lot of the coaching personnel around the league, so after thinking it over, I was happy to give him my support. When some of the names of the coaching staff were announced, I was getting happier. No reason NOT to support this staff.  Well, NOW, after a few months of moderately revealing experiences, I have to admit that I am "not sure" about the choice.

Right now, I think we are just barely "holding on." Our record shows us "sliding" and that is the truth. It's also true that there have been a lot of coaching "errors" or let's call them "coaching 'growing pains'" that have contributed to the current situation. Those kinds of errors are readily 'fixed' if the staff will just acknowledge the errors and look for solutions. Coaching 'attitudes' leave a lot to be desired. The rest of the year could be more of the same or it MIGHT improve some. But, let's face it, it can't get any worse (statistically, W-L speaking..). One of my major gripes is ..... the tendency of the Coaches to constantly, and I mean CONSTANTLY, speak to the "process" and remark that "...we're playing the personnel that gives us the "best chance to win"."  That is a bunch of crap. THIS HC is totally wrapped up in HIS players. If they weren't his choice, they're either gone, practice squad, or demoted to lesser slots. This is just another example of nepotism showing it's ugly head. I'm tired of this crap.!!

Okay, so let's talk personnel.... This could make up an entire post by itself. I'll just touch on some generalities and then expand on it later (maybe..). Other than the coaching staff which I think might be a little suspect right now, let's move on. To begin, let's all imagine what it would be like to walk down the street shaking hands with people in "small-town" USA. Every family you meet, you hand them a check for a Million dollars. (I know, it's hard to imagine..). Well, in my town, you could cover the whole town and outlying towns too. After you've met and gifted a thousand families (that's maybe 3500 people.??), you start over and seek out another thousand families and repeat the process. Then you do it AGAIN and AGAIN..... Wait.. would you really be willing to give away that much money.??  Probably not..... Still, when you consider the Panthers, and the Charlotte FC and necessary expansion and reno, that represents the money David Tepper has invested here. I don't know the exact totals of course, but it has to be over 4 Billion dollars. That's Billion, with a "B". Four thousand 'millions' ..... that's a LOT of money. Now understand, Tepper does NOT have an "ownership" group. He did this by himself. All of it. Do you really believe that he is pushing the Panthers toward failure.??  REALLY.???
I would contend that he MIGHT be a little too involved. But when you're the MAN and you have no backup, I expect him to be involved. I cannot fault him for that.  I don't want to speak ill here of Jerry Richardson, but hear this..... I COULD.!! So, let's stop putting Richardson on a pedestal and denigrating Tepper. It's a fool's errand.

Okay... I'm stopping here.  There's more to be said, but I'll pick it up tomorrow (well, "tomorrow" is today, I guess..). So, more later.
Bag
This post was last modified: 10-03-2023, 05:07 AM by Hobbit99.
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"

Messages In This Thread
RE: PANTHERSFANZ -- 2023 SEASON FEELINGS & EXPECTATIONS - by Hobbit99 - 10-03-2023, 05:03 AM