Started by Ladypanther

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

17 posts in this topic
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,770 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
12-23-2023, 02:53 AM -
I thought I would take this opportunity to add a few thoughts to this thread. Without getting too maudlin, there are some things that I recognize as  important and should be said. 

First, as LP mentioned, this is a happy time of year but can also be a time when things start to pile up and raise a little havoc with our psyche. Shorter days, less sunshine, cool temperatures all contribute to lowered expectations and increased levels of depression. For some these feelings are momentary and transient. For others they are more despairing and difficult. It is important that we recognize what is a "normal" condition for our loved ones, and what is something more bothersome. Lending a helping hand or ear can often make a great difference in a friend's outlook. Treat your family and friends with care.

I want to take a moment here and wish all of my "forum friends" a very Merry Christmas. I sincerely hope your holidays are full of joy. If you find yourself with "plenty" this year, stop for a minute and contemplate those who have far less and are struggling. If you have more than you really 'need', share that bounty with others who are less fortunate. You don't have to wait to pay someone back. Instead, "pay it forward". What you share may make someone's holiday a lot brighter. You will probably never know how much difference it makes. But know this. What you share this season may be shared "forward" again and again. Truly a gift that continues to give.

Next, I want to remind everyone here ..... It doesn't matter "WHAT or IF" you believe. I refuse to get into adversarial discussions about belief structures. Whether you believe in monotheism, polytheism, agnosticism, or atheism, it doesn't matter. Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Hindism or any other religion, it doesn't matter. What I want to say is this. Christmas is a holiday here in the U.S. and is recognized around the world, even where Christianity does not exist. The Christian bible is real. It exists. The people in it really lived and walked the earth thousands of years ago. It doesn't matter if you have questions about deities. It doesn't matter if you believe in the Holy Trinity or simply one god or none at all. Here are the facts. The Bible exists. It was written many years ago about people and times before our understanding. The early writings exist. The Bible is the largest, most printed, most used, most read, most popular piece of literature in the history of the world.

Why is this important.? I'm glad you asked. Because Jesus Christ walked the earth a couple of thousand years ago. The Christ child was born a human. Regardless of what you believe about the conception story .... again, it is not important to this telling. What IS important is the fact that he lived and died and was revered as a man and a teacher. AND TODAY, we celebrate his birth with a "holiday" because he was important back then and He is even more important today. For the same reason we celebrate birthdays of our children, parents, siblings, other family members, historical people (like certain presidents..??) and many others, we celebrate the birth of the Christ child.

One last thing to remember... Christ was most probably not born on December 25th. And, once again, "it doesn't matter". Christmas, December 25th, is NOT the birthdate of Christ. We could celebrate his birth in March or August just as easily.  December 25th, is merely the day we choose to celebrate his birth. It's a day of happiness and family and fun. Its a day of introspection and celebration. And it's a day of giving and love and quiet certitude.  And for all of these reasons it's important. Around the world. Everywhere. It's important.

Merry Christmas everyone. My wish for you is happiness. Share the joy.  May God bless you abundantly.
This post was last modified: 12-23-2023, 06:18 PM by Hobbit99.
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"

Messages In This Thread
RE: Almost Christmas, Green Bay week, random thoughts - by Hobbit99 - 12-23-2023, 02:53 AM