Started by PantherFan007

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

10 posts in this topic
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

3,041 posts 566 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-05-2024, 02:26 PM -
(03-05-2024, 11:22 AM)Josh21 Wrote: Well, he’s tagged…now what?

OKAY.....

I think we may have discussed this earlier, but just in case.....  For clarity then, when folks talk about "tagging" a player there are three potential scenarios. Lots of folks don't realize that and fewer still actually understand the intricacies and the differences.  So, quickly then, there are three different Franchise Tag possibilities. First is the "Transition Tag"; Second is the "Exclusive Tag"; And third is the "Non-exclusive Tag". The Panthers have placed the "Non-exclusive Tag" on Brian Burns. The 'Exclusive' tag and the 'Transition' tag do not apply in this case. There are some significant differences between the three "tags", most of which are with respect to the amount of money owed to the player, and the player's ability to negotiate a contract when the "tag" is in place. Since the Transition Tag and the Exclusive Tag do not apply, I'll just skip them for now.

In this case, the Panthers have decided to use the NON-exclusive tag on Burns. This was the only smart thing to do under the circumstances. THIS tag will pay Burns about $24M for one year. (I think it's actually just slightly less than $24M..). Burns will be obligated to play for one year at the contract amount. Burns retains the right to negotiate with other teams while he is under the tag. IF another team offers Burns a contract, the Panthers have the right to "match" the contract and Burns would remain a Panther. If the Panthers choose NOT to match the contract, Burns would go to whichever team made the contract offer and that team would owe the Panthers TWO 1st round draft picks.  The Panthers could also TRADE Burns to any other interested team. This "trade" could occur any time before the trade deadline and the 'tag compensation' would not apply. In that case another team could offer draft picks, other players, or "other" forms of compensation to the Panthers just like a regular trade. In Burns case, the amount offered in trade would **probably** be one 1st Rd. draft pick and a lesser pick or two, as well as an additional player possibly.

All of this is contingent upon Burns 'signing' the tag. If Burns chooses to NOT sign the tag, then he will not be allowed to play this year at all (unless he signs with another team..). The Panthers also have the right to rescind the tag at any time before it is signed....(remember Josh Norman..??). Now, there are two 'hard' dates involved with the "TAG". The first is Tuesday, March 5th (TODAY), at 4:00 PM when the tag has to be placed (IT WAS PLACED),  and the second is the date by which it has to be signed by the player which I believe is July 15th. (I'm not absolutely sure about that date...).  The first date is TODAY.... And Burns has been tagged.

SO.... Will Burns sign the tag..?????   WHO KNOWS..??!!!??!!!???  The absolute best result for the Panthers (IMHO..) would be for Burns to negotiate a deal with another team for a long-term contract. Official negotiations open on the 13th, with the "tampering period" opening on the 11th.  If Burns gets a contract offer the Panthers SHOULD let him sign it and leave. The Panthers would then get TWO 1st Rd picks --- and all would be well in PantherLand. If the Panthers match the offer, they would then be on the hook for the contract amount offered by the other team. (TERRIBLE idea..!!). Alternatively, if Burns doesn't get a contract offer that he likes, the Panthers could still trade him at any time up to the trade deadline.... but would receive less for him (probably).

Anyway, as you can see, there are multiple possibilities. How it will play out, no one knows. As FC mentioned in another thread, it could drag out for awhile especially if Burns doesn't get any offers he likes.....

***I think all of this is pretty much correct. But I can also be wrong, and sometimes I am....***
This post was last modified: 03-05-2024, 02:32 PM by Hobbit99.
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"

Messages In This Thread
RE: PANTHERS STOP CONTRACT TALKS WITH BRIAN BURNS - by Hobbit99 - 03-05-2024, 02:26 PM