8-21...good day of practice for the offense and Bryce
Started by Ladypanther

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

3 posts in this topic
OceanPanther

151 posts 17 threads Joined: Mar 2020
08-22-2024, 07:34 AM -
(08-21-2024, 03:55 PM)Ladypanther Wrote: Bryce Young is stacking strong practice performances as the Panthers enter the home stretch of their preseason schedule. The second-year quarterback had another swell outing on Wednesday, as Carolina practiced in full pads. Last year’s top pick made a handful of heaves that led to highlight plays for the offense, including a pair of long touchdowns completions. 

Young’s first play of team drills featured a pass across the field to No. 1 wide receiver Diontae Johnson. The ball was delivered perfectly toward the sideline, and Johnson snatched the pass for a gain of roughly 20 yards. Later, Young tossed a deep ball down the seam to wideout David Moore for a touchdown. It was difficult to track the distance of the throw from the opposite end of the field, but Young fired the ball a rather long distance to find Moore as the receiver streaked into the end zone.

Young had a pair of connections with rookie tight end Ja’Tavion Sanders. The initial play was an over-the-middle target to the fourth-round pick, who caught the ball cleanly and picked up roughly 20 yards on the reception. Later, Young was flushed out of the pocket and forced to improvise, so the offensive playmakers began a scramble drill. Young was eventually able to find the tight end wide open down the seam for another near-20-yard gain. “I’m honestly not really sure what happened,” left tackle Ikem Ekwonu said about the scramble-drill play after practice. “I was blocking as long as I can, and just when I saw Bryce scramble, I kind of just (adjusted) as quick as I can, and Bryce made a great play, and so did (Sanders). It’s kind of one of those things — I’m not really sure where the breakdown is. Sometimes, the defense — you know, they get paid, too — they just are locking up some guys or have a great scheme going, and you’ve got to improvise. “And I feel like that’s one of Bryce’s greatest strengths.” 

Young also took advantage of a coverage breakdown in 11-on-11 reps to find first-round pick, wide receiver Xavier Legette, all by his lonesome for a long touchdown completion. Overall, Young threw the ball well and protected it, too. 

RUNNING GAME LOOKS GOOD 

The Panthers aren’t tackling to the ground in practice, but there was a bit of bravado on the ground on Wednesday.  With Taylor Moton sitting out of team drills, unofficial offensive line sixth man, Brady Christensen, worked at right tackle for the starting group. Left guard Damien Lewis, who returned to team drills Tuesday, was among the four other projected starters on the line. With most of the first-team offensive line intact, the Panthers’ running game had a really nice practice. Projected starter Chuba Hubbard broke away for a massive gain early in 11-on-11 drills. Backup Mike Boone, who has had a really strong camp, also had a couple of nice runs. 

Overall, the line looked good, even with Moton on the sideline, and the running backs benefited from having the starter-level talent leading the way. “I think it just goes back to the details — the little things,” Ekwonu said. “Footwork, hitting our landmarks on runs. The whole offense moving as a unit, and I just feel like, the reps we get together, the more flow we have in the game. And I think it’s starting to show a lot more.”

Read more at: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports...rylink=cpy

Don't know if I heard anything this positive last year.  Sounds like maybe things are coming together??  Can only hope.  All the press seemed positive today.

Fingers crossed he's hitting the landmarks on pass blocking too .  GOOOO PANTHERS

Messages In This Thread
RE: 8-21...good day of practice for the offense and Bryce - by OceanPanther - 08-22-2024, 07:34 AM