GM -- TRACKING THE CANDIDATES
Started by Hobbit99

Rate this topic
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

23 posts in this topic
Ladypanther

481 posts 77 threads Joined: Oct 2023
01-12-2024, 06:30 PM -
Panthers interviewed him before Fitt hire....prolly did not want to be Rhule's assistant.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,764 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
01-12-2024, 06:42 PM -
(01-12-2024, 06:30 PM)Ladypanther Wrote: Panthers interviewed him before Fitt hire....prolly did not want to be Rhule's assistant.

Thumbsup
Headbang
Can't blame him for that..!!
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"
Ladypanther

01-12-2024, 07:08 PM -
(01-12-2024, 06:42 PM)Hobbit99 Wrote:
(01-12-2024, 06:30 PM)Ladypanther Wrote: Panthers interviewed him before Fitt hire....prolly did not want to be Rhule's assistant.

Thumbsup
Headbang
Can't blame him for that..!!

Tepper got outplayed by a guy with well less than half his wealth.  Hope that hurts Dave.  Panther fans have been hurting since 2018.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

01-12-2024, 08:59 PM -
(01-12-2024, 07:08 PM)Ladypanther Wrote: Tepper got outplayed by a guy with well less than half his wealth.  Hope that hurts Dave.  Panther fans have been hurting since 2018.

Have you heard something about this that I've missed.??  As far as I know Peters wasn't "on the list" to be interviewed this time.  Probably should have been, but wasn't....  What do you mean by "outplayed".?? I've probably missed something...
Ladypanther

01-13-2024, 11:35 AM -
(01-12-2024, 08:59 PM)Hobbit99 Wrote:
(01-12-2024, 07:08 PM)Ladypanther Wrote: Tepper got outplayed by a guy with well less than half his wealth.  Hope that hurts Dave.  Panther fans have been hurting since 2018.

Have you heard something about this that I've missed.??  As far as I know Peters wasn't "on the list" to be interviewed this time.  Probably should have been, but wasn't....  What do you mean by "outplayed".?? I've probably missed something...

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2021/0...ch-tracker

Carolina Panthers

Mike Borgonzi, Chiefs player personnel director: Rumored candidate
Nick Caserio, Patriots VP of player personnel: Interviewed
Ed Dodds, Colts assistant GM: Interviewed; name withdrawn from search
Scott Fitterer, Seahawks VP of player personnel: Hired
Champ Kelly, Bears assistant player personnel director: Interviewed
Omar Khan, Steelers VP of football and business administration: Interviewed
Jeff Ireland, Saints assistant GM: Interviewed
Kwesi Adofo-Mensah, Browns VP of football operations: Interviewed
Monti Ossenfort, Titans player personnel director: To receive second interview
George Paton, Vikings assistant GM: Rumored candidate; withdrew name from consideration
Adam Peters, 49ers VP of player personnel: To receive second interview
Ryan Poles, Chiefs assistant player personnel director: Received second interview
Jerry Reese, former Giants general manager: Interviewed
Joe Schoen, Bills assistant GM: Interviewed
Pat Stewart, Panthers player personnel director: Interviewed
Samir Suleiman, Panthers director of player negotiations: Interviewed
Brandt Tilis, Chiefs football administration director: Interviewed

Tepper had 17 people on that list.  A lot of people at the time said Peters was the pick of the litter.  I could be wrong but I think he eventually dropped out.  Tepper is just lousy at football decisions.  The Washington guy comes in and nails it pretty quickly.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

01-14-2024, 12:02 AM -
(01-13-2024, 11:35 AM)Ladypanther Wrote:
(01-12-2024, 08:59 PM)Hobbit99 Wrote:

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2021/0...ch-tracker

Carolina Panthers

Mike Borgonzi, Chiefs player personnel director: Rumored candidate
Nick Caserio, Patriots VP of player personnel: Interviewed
Ed Dodds, Colts assistant GM: Interviewed; name withdrawn from search
Scott Fitterer, Seahawks VP of player personnel: Hired
Champ Kelly, Bears assistant player personnel director: Interviewed
Omar Khan, Steelers VP of football and business administration: Interviewed
Jeff Ireland, Saints assistant GM: Interviewed
Kwesi Adofo-Mensah, Browns VP of football operations: Interviewed
Monti Ossenfort, Titans player personnel director: To receive second interview
George Paton, Vikings assistant GM: Rumored candidate; withdrew name from consideration
Adam Peters, 49ers VP of player personnel: To receive second interview
Ryan Poles, Chiefs assistant player personnel director: Received second interview
Jerry Reese, former Giants general manager: Interviewed
Joe Schoen, Bills assistant GM: Interviewed
Pat Stewart, Panthers player personnel director: Interviewed
Samir Suleiman, Panthers director of player negotiations: Interviewed
Brandt Tilis, Chiefs football administration director: Interviewed

Tepper had 17 people on that list.  A lot of people at the time said Peters was the pick of the litter.  I could be wrong but I think he eventually dropped out.  Tepper is just lousy at football decisions.  The Washington guy comes in and nails it pretty quickly.

Ahhh.. I understand now....  You're talking about LAST hiring cycle.  I was thinking about NOW.  Sorry. I misunderstood.  SMDH ... Should be more observant, I guess.
Confused Confused
Ladypanther

01-15-2024, 04:55 PM -
Update here:

https://nfltraderumors.co/panthers-inter...tes-today/
Ladypanther

01-16-2024, 08:25 AM -
Here is an evaluation of the teams looking for a GM and the attractiveness of the job:

Carolina:

The Panthers dismissed Scott Fitterer after three seasons, but by now we all know what we are dealing with inside the walls of any building where owner David Tepper resides. The view from the outside is one of an impulsive and sometimes overbearing personality who might insert himself and his opinions into any decision and situation, even if not qualified.

This is not just my opinion. Others have said that listening to people who might be more qualified than him isn’t exactly Tepper’s strong suit. He might be the kind of guy who would call Tom Landry or Don Shula on the phone … and then do all the talking. He seems so lacking in self-awareness. Because of his deep pockets, which brought him this team, he wakes up on third base in the football world each morning and thinks he hit a triple to get there.

In a business where decisions are best when backed by lifetimes of perspective and experience, a self-proclaimed instant expert makes me nervous.

However, the positives are there as well. Tepper provides unlimited financial support, which means the GM will always have the freedom to structure contracts to spend more cash than cap to keep quality players and ample depth on the roster. As a GM, this gives you a chance. If you can evaluate and value pieces of the team-building puzzle correctly — and keep Tepper’s insistence to give his opinions under control — you might be able to re-stock a roster that is devoid of talent.

The Panthers have $37.3 million in available cap space for 2024, according to Over the Cap, which is better than most. They also have no first-round pick (they’re sending the No. 1 pick to the Bears as part of the Bryce Young acquisition) in the draft and are committed — because of the prior regime’s level of investment — to a quarterback whom some of us would struggle to build around. The negatives outweigh the positives.

https://theathletic.com/5202080/2024/01/...-panthers/
This post was last modified: 01-16-2024, 08:27 AM by Ladypanther.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

01-19-2024, 09:09 PM -
One of the prospective candidates is off the board...

Just announced. The Washington Commanders have hired Adam Peters for GM. Peters comes by way of the SF 49ers where he was ASSISTANT GM.

COMMANDERS.COM:  Commanders hire Adam Peters For GM Position
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

01-21-2024, 04:02 PM -
SOME INTERESTING STUFF HAPPENING HERE...

Has anyone been wondering what (exactly) is going on with the GM search and interviews..???  I know I have.  Apparently, the Panthers have been quietly moving forward with the process without releasing notes about the interviews.  I am not certain 'why', but there have been a number of interviews completed and some candidates are being asked to participate in second interviews, and yet little or no information has appeared from Panthers Central.

According to CBS Sports 'insider', Jonathan Jones, the Panthers "have "quietly entered" the second round of interviews..." and are moving forward with the process.

PANTHERS WIRE:  Panthers Have "Quietly Entered" The Second Round Of GM Interviews..

According to Sports Illustrated, quoting Tom Pellisaro, the Panthers have begun second interviews for GM. Names include Brandon Brown, Alex Halaby, and Dan Morgan. Others apparently remain on the list not having completed 'first' interviews yet .... OR possibly "opting out."

SI.COM:  Panthers Moving Into Second Round Of GM Interviews

Clutch Points is also quoting Pellisaro, saying that some GM candidates have already completed second interviews.

CLUTCH POINTS.COM:  Panthers Moving Forward With GM Search

Pro Football Rumors echoes the interview process, but includes a more current (apparently) list of candidates.

PRO FOOTBALL RUMORS.COM:  Panthers GM Search Continues...

So, regardless of what we think or believe (or WANT to believe), it appears that the Panthers are moving forward with the GM search process. There were 10-12 candidates originally mentioned. Up to (maybe..?) seven of them have completed initial interviews. There is some indication that a couple of them (maybe..?) have dropped out. No indication officially about any of this, or who might be the leading candidate. Dan Morgan remains frequently mentioned...