2022 DRAFT--ITS TIME...
Started by Hobbit99

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

31 posts in this topic
coffee

238 posts 24 threads Joined: Dec 2019
04-29-2022, 08:03 AM -
I'm thrilled!  As far as I'm concerned, it couldn't have fallen to us any better.

Sure, it would be fun to have more picks.  But I only wanted to trade down if we couldn't get our franchise T.  ("Bird in the hand"). The fact that we know we got our absolute choice of the top 3 makes this well on it's way to being a successful draft in my book.  The fact that we got BPA AND filled one of our biggest needs is spectacular.

Once we knew how bad of shape we were in last year, it was bittersweet to win games and frustrating to think of how the 3-0 start hurt our draft spot.  As it turned out, we knew we needed offense and we had literally every offensive player in the draft available to us ... at pick six!  Wow!

(I also still look at CJ Henderson as our 3rd- round pick this year)

This post was last modified: 04-29-2022, 08:08 AM by coffee.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,764 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
04-29-2022, 11:45 AM -
(04-29-2022, 08:03 AM)coffee Wrote: I'm thrilled!  As far as I'm concerned, it couldn't have fallen to us any better.

Sure, it would be fun to have more picks.  But I only wanted to trade down if we couldn't get our franchise T.  ("Bird in the hand"). The fact that we know we got our absolute choice of the top 3 makes this well on it's way to being a successful draft in my book.  The fact that we got BPA AND filled one of our biggest needs is spectacular.

Once we knew how bad of shape we were in last year, it was bittersweet to win games and frustrating to think of how the 3-0 start hurt our draft spot.  As it turned out, we knew we needed offense and we had literally every offensive player in the draft available to us ... at pick six!  Wow!

(I also still look at CJ Henderson as our 3rd- round pick this year)

Well said, Coffee..... And I agree.
My 'discomfort' is mostly because I hate to sit idly by watching nothing happen. Unless something happens, we will have skipped all of the rest of the 1st, ALL of the 2nd, ALL of the 3rd, and ALL of the 4th down to the VERY LAST PICK before we get a chance to pick again. The Panthers are picking at #6. How did we end up with the 32nd pick in the 4th.?? That pick SHOULD belong to the RAMS.!! ---- NEVERMIND---- I looked it up. SMH...SMH.  Anyway, the truth of the numbers is..... we will skip 131 picks (from #6 to #137..). 131 picks is more than FOUR rounds of picks at 32 picks per round.  YES, I realize there are some compensatory picks thrown in there. SO...We have six total picks this year. After Ekwonu, we have five remaining. That means we have five picks spread around the 5th, 6th, and 7th rounds. WOW--Good for us.!! Terrific news.!! Five essentially surplus picks with no prospect of playing effectively anytime soon.!!  Depressed Fbcry

BUT, back to reality. I too look at CJ Henderson as a 3rd this year. And he SHOULD be a valuable 3rd (hopefully..). He was picked at #9 in 2020, so a potential 1st round talent for a 3rd round pick. He's going into his third year of his rookie contract. So we have him for three years if we pick up his 5th year option. THAT is a good deal...as long as he stays healthy. He already spent a bunch of his rookie year on IR with a groin injury. So, let's keep our fingers crossed that he stays healthy.!!

And yes.... We were both lucky and happy about how the 1st played out. Ekwonu is a PERFECT choice for us. By far my favorite Tackle in this draft.
Firstchance

715 posts 81 threads Joined: Dec 2019
04-29-2022, 12:26 PM -
Just have to hope 4,5 and 5 are absolutely strong picks and at needed positions. Can’t afford to not nail these on the head.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

04-29-2022, 03:22 PM -
(04-29-2022, 12:26 PM)Firstchance Wrote: Just have to hope 4,5 and 5 are absolutely strong picks and at needed positions. Can’t afford to not nail these on the head.

Boy, did you say a mouthful First.!! And I AGREE.  I see only one real problem there. As I mentioned earlier, the 4th round pick you mention could really be called another 5th rounder if you wanted to. Because of trades, we ended up with the Rams' 4th rounder......which is the bottom of the barrel.!! Number 32 in the 4th round. One pick away from being a 5th rounder.!!  STILL...It's better than the rest of the 5th round picks (and the 4th round compensatories..).

I've never been too enthused with the late round picks. They are mostly developmental players at best. And a bunch of them never make it to the second or third year. It's like you rent them for a couple of years, then quietly dump them.  Once in a while a worthy candidate shows up though. So its worth it to "take a shot" at the best of whomever is left at that time.  I'm with you. I really hope for a couple of strong developmental players there. And with a little luck, maybe we find a gem.!!
This post was last modified: 04-29-2022, 03:24 PM by Hobbit99.
coffee

238 posts 24 threads Joined: Dec 2019
04-29-2022, 04:55 PM -
(04-29-2022, 11:45 AM)Hobbit99 Wrote:

Well said, Coffee..... And I agree.
My 'discomfort' is mostly because I hate to sit idly by watching nothing happen. Unless something happens, we will have skipped all of the rest of the 1st, ALL of the 2nd, ALL of the 3rd, and ALL of the 4th down to the VERY LAST PICK before we get a chance to pick again. The Panthers are picking at #6. How did we end up with the 32nd pick in the 4th.?? That pick SHOULD belong to the RAMS.!! ---- NEVERMIND---- I looked it up. SMH...SMH.  Anyway, the truth of the numbers is..... we will skip 131 picks (from #6 to #137..). 131 picks is more than FOUR rounds of picks at 32 picks per round.  YES, I realize there are some compensatory picks thrown in there. SO...We have six total picks this year. After Ekwonu, we have five remaining. That means we have five picks spread around the 5th, 6th, and 7th rounds. WOW--Good for us.!! Terrific news.!! Five essentially surplus picks with no prospect of playing effectively anytime soon.!!  Depressed Fbcry

BUT, back to reality. I too look at CJ Henderson as a 3rd this year. And he SHOULD be a valuable 3rd (hopefully..). He was picked at #9 in 2020, so a potential 1st round talent for a 3rd round pick. He's going into his third year of his rookie contract. So we have him for three years if we pick up his 5th year option. THAT is a good deal...as long as he stays healthy. He already spent a bunch of his rookie year on IR with a groin injury. So, let's keep our fingers crossed that he stays healthy.!!

And yes.... We were both lucky and happy about how the 1st played out. Ekwonu is a PERFECT choice for us. By far my favorite Tackle in this draft.

Good points.

I would probably feel the same if it was a year-after-year thing (trading away too many picks).  But I'm looking at the whole rebuild.  Average last year's draft with this one.  Seems we've gotten a pretty balanced system going:  A bunch of picks (put to good use) last year.  Then this year getting hopefully a franchise LT and a 1st round talent CB.

If we averaged that kind of production every two years, I'd be thrilled with it.
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,192 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
04-29-2022, 07:34 PM -
At this point I don’t think we miss on getting a qb at some point. Maybe not even trading up. Saying this at pick 50. :)
Josh21
Posting Freak

04-29-2022, 08:58 PM -
73 picks now it happened. Here we go, do it or not, it’s close but who do we want, if any?

Got a big span of qb compitent teams -1, or two.
This post was last modified: 04-29-2022, 09:03 PM by Josh21.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

04-29-2022, 09:09 PM -
I'll have to watch the rest of it tomorrow. I already quit for tonight. My DVR will let me pick up where I left off.!!

Sorry to miss all of the excitement......
Josh21
Posting Freak

04-29-2022, 09:14 PM -
I’ll b quiet.
This post was last modified: 04-29-2022, 09:14 PM by Josh21.
Josh21
Posting Freak

04-29-2022, 10:17 PM -
We got somebody…