Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

66 posts in this topic
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,764 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
02-25-2022, 06:01 PM -
(02-17-2022, 01:45 PM)Hobbit99 Wrote:
(02-11-2022, 12:59 PM)Hobbit99 Wrote: SO, Here are the Panthers Free Agents for 2022. Interestingly enough, there are twenty-two FAs in 2022.

I will try to keep this current as we go forward. As the news breaks, I'll update this list with who is staying, and who isn't. It'll be interesting to see which and how many of these guys stay around.

So, the word is out. The first FA staying (at least for awhile..) is  J.J.Jansen.....

Ameer Abdullah--
Juston Burris--
Jermaine Carter Jr.--
Sean Chandler--
Lachlan Edwards--
Alex Erickson--
Stephon Gilmore--
Zane Gonzalez--
Marquis Haynes Sr.--
Donte jackson--
J.J. Jansen--RETAINED/RESIGNED SEE HERE: Panthers Agree to Terms With Jansen (Official Announcement)
DaQuan Jones--
Frankie Luvu--RETAINED/RESIGNED/EXTENDED  SEE HERE:  Panthers Retain Luvu (Official announcement)
Raashan Melvin--
John Miller--
Cam Newton--
Matt Paradis--
Haason Reddick--
Trent Scott--
Julian Stanford--
Ian Thomas--RETAINED/RESIGNED  SEE HERE:  Panthers Resign Thomas (Official Announcement)
Brandon Zylstra--

UPDATED THURSDAY, 2-25-2022
This post was last modified: 02-25-2022, 06:08 PM by Hobbit99.
Firstchance

715 posts 81 threads Joined: Dec 2019
02-27-2022, 12:54 PM -
Only a free agent who cares only about money would come here. Just the type individuals we need. Two straight 5 win seasons, the 28th worse team ranking going into this season. No QB no NFL head coach. Really who would want to come here except for the dollar. Let’s face it until king Rhule is gone and we can get a real NFL head coach, we will be nothing more than the new Cleveland Browns and the joke of the league. Get a real head coach and even then we will be at least two years digging out of this grave.
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,157 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
02-27-2022, 07:40 PM -
(02-27-2022, 12:54 PM)Firstchance Wrote: Only a free agent who cares only about money would come here. Just the type individuals we need. Two straight 5 win seasons, the 28th worse team ranking going into this season. No QB no NFL head coach. Really who would want to come here except for the dollar. Let’s face it until king Rhule is gone and we can get a real NFL head coach, we will be nothing more than the new Cleveland Browns and the joke of the league. Get a real head coach and even then we will be at least two years digging out of this grave.

Heyyyy.... That's what I was gonna say lol

Big Grin
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

02-28-2022, 12:41 PM -
Well, you guys can just go jump inna ...... you can take your mean self and go be, be......... uh, ... negative if you wanna.  I hope your hat falls off in a mud puddle.! I hope a big ol' dog comes by and mistakes your best overalls for a fire plug before church. I hope you step inna puddle and water FLOODS inside your almost new sneakers you just picked up from the re-purpose store. I hope....... I hope you're uhh...  I hope you're WRONG.!!!

There.. Take THAT. How ya like them apples.??  Can ya hear me NOW.??

Pfffft..   Angry1 PissedOff
This post was last modified: 02-28-2022, 12:43 PM by Hobbit99.
PantherFan007
Administrator

02-28-2022, 01:22 PM -
And risking being a Debbie Downer, another issue with the free agents who are already here are that we have some good talent on the team which has been under utilized, or has in other ways been cast into a dark shadow by virtue of being on a team that stunk the past few seasons. That doesn't make players want to come here, either. Like said above, it not for the money, it surely isn't because they want to be on a blossoming playoff team.
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,192 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-02-2022, 11:13 PM -
Anybody thinking a 1 yr deal for Trubisky? Worth a shot if contract works out. Any other fa qbs u guys like for a year?
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

03-03-2022, 06:11 AM -
(03-02-2022, 11:13 PM)Josh21 Wrote: Anybody thinking a 1 yr deal for Trubisky?  Worth a shot if contract works out.  Any other fa qbs u guys like for a year?

Truth is.... There's not much available on the FA market. I am NOT enamored with Trubisky. Sorry. Can't say why, just doesn't seem to be any value there. He took 33 snaps last year in six games, threw for 43 yds.....with a AAV of 2.5 Mil.

There are a 'few' other guys that have a so-so record that I would look at first, I think.

1) Colt McCoy has a good record as a backup and fill-in but he's 35 y.o. now I think.
2) Trevor Siemian has done a few good things.
3) Jacoby Brissett has had a little success.
4) I actually like Marcus Mariota. He's had some tough times too.

None of these guys (with the POSSIBLE exception of Mariota..) have any real upside except as a fill-in.  If I NEEDED a QB in a hurry for a while, I'd probably choose Colt McCoy. If I wanted to take a flyer or needed a backup with some future potential I'd probably choose Mariota. Siemian and Brissett might be OK for short-term emergency use if you had a better option coming in or working back from injury --- maybe.  There is no Free Agent QB out there I would want for a year unless there was no other option.

There are three others I would probably prefer....Dwayne Haskins; Josh Rosen; and Kyle Allen.  BUT... All three of those guys are Restricted FAs and probably not available unless you wanted to get in a bidding war... All on rookie contracts (I THINK..??) and have AAV of $850,000.
This post was last modified: 03-03-2022, 04:31 PM by Hobbit99.
PantherFan007
Administrator

03-03-2022, 06:41 AM -
Yeah, I honestly wasn't impressed with Trubisky at UNC. But, what do I know? Still, I'd rank Sam Darnold (gulp) over Trubisky at this point in their careers.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

03-03-2022, 04:43 PM -
(03-03-2022, 06:41 AM)PantherFan007 Wrote: Yeah, I honestly wasn't impressed with Trubisky at UNC.  But, what do I know?  Still, I'd rank Sam Darnold (gulp) over Trubisky at this point in their careers.

ABSOLUTELY correct. Trubisky just does not impress me at all.

I don't know how Darnold fits (or where..). I just know that you don't get drafted #3 overall for no reason. Darnold NEEDS a team that believes in him, can protect him, and has a supporting cast of players. He has shown an ability to move with the ball and is pretty fearless. He has a good arm and a terrific attitude. I don't know if that's enough around PantherLand-----We'll see.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

03-04-2022, 06:48 PM -
TAYLOR MOTON--RESTRUCTURE

Well.... The latest news is about the "Restructure" of Taylor Moton's contract. The Panthers facing a major exodus of talent in Free Agency decided to "do something" before the new year begins and freed up a chunk of money by moving part of Moton's contract dollars into future plans. All the total $$ stays the same. It's merely an accounting move designed to "buy now--pay later". The downside is a potential problem with future cap numbers when the Panthers have to "pay the piper".

The only advantage may be bigger annual cap numbers each year and possibly some dead cap money coming off the books shortly. An additional advantage may be incurred if the Panthers have fewer UFAs in the next couple of years, requiring less money to re-sign or extend.

The initial numbers show an 11 Mil cap relief this year from Moton's restructure. So... 11 Mil moved into "bonuses" or something in future years.  That's BIG money for this year---especially since we still have 19 UFAs ready to depart into FA neverland on Mar 16.

The details are courtesy of Cat Scratch Reader: MOTON Restructure--CSR
This post was last modified: 03-04-2022, 06:49 PM by Hobbit99.