BlackCatzFan

370 posts 43 threads Joined: Dec 2019
04-29-2022, 11:05 PM -
Matt Corral I’m not mad
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,157 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
04-30-2022, 03:24 AM -
I am thrilled to have Ickey at #6, something we have needed a bunch, and to get Matt Corral in the late third round is crazy good for us. Keep Pounding!
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,764 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
04-30-2022, 05:47 AM -
I think, in general, that the QBs have realigned to where their true value lies. We’ve known for some time that the Panthers were going to grab another QB. The only question was when and who. I am EXTREMELY pleased that the “when” was in the draft, but NOT an early round “reach”. I think it’s a much better idea to ‘draft and develop’ a talent than try to pick up a QB from another team (over and over again..). The draftee has four years to settle in as long as he shows promise and progress. We will see how Corral works out.!!
Firstchance

715 posts 81 threads Joined: Dec 2019
04-30-2022, 07:35 AM -
Don’t mean to be a Debbie Downer, but I can also remember the “excitement” when ole Will Grier was drafted…. In what? … the third round. Which in itself means nothing and I hope he works out well. Personally I had as my number four QB right in front of Picket. So really glad I hate the Steelers.
This post was last modified: 04-30-2022, 09:00 AM by Firstchance.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

04-30-2022, 11:42 AM -
(04-30-2022, 07:35 AM)Firstchance Wrote: Don’t mean to be a Debbie Downer, but I can also remember the “excitement” when ole Will Grier was drafted…. In what? … the third round. Which in itself means nothing and I hope he works out well. Personally I had as my number four QB right in front of Picket. So really glad I hate the Steelers.

I hear you, brother...and I understand. I won't argue the merits of Will Grier, although I could make a case for him instead of PJ Walker who took his place. So be it.....

Like I said, up there ^^^, I think the QBs in this draft just realigned closer to 'value' instead of pontificator's 'hype'. Pickett was obviously the most "ready", so he got the early pick. The rest of the guys slid down the board. Did they slide too far... as in below their value.?? Who knows.?? Will one or more of them turn out to be a decent #1 QB.??  Maybe.??  Although Malik Willis and Desmond Ritter came off the board a couple of picks earlier, I like Corral as much as I do either of them. So, what does that mean.? Maybe nothing.
Certainly, Corral is NOT a "sure thing" pick. If we can't make a QB1 out of him, we haven't lost a 1st round pick. So, how does the saying go.... "Nothing ventured, nothing gained". The one thing I'm sure about is..... I am NOT sure about it.  Tongue

FIRST.... I grew up in the era of the "Fearsome Foursome" and the "Steel Curtain". I'm not a Steelers fan either, but I can relate to both of those defenses.  I LOVE your sentiment though.!! Thumbsup
This post was last modified: 04-30-2022, 11:43 AM by Hobbit99.
BlackCatzFan

370 posts 43 threads Joined: Dec 2019
04-30-2022, 05:28 PM -
My top two QBs were Corral and Howell. Based on body of work and arm talent. I really like howell’s potential. But I’m not mad at Corral’s accuracy and release. Howell also has quick release, and probably the best arm strength in this draft. Pickett Will be an interception machine. Instead of throwing his receivers open, and putting velocity on his throws, he throws behind and has slow travel from point A to B. So I’m not mad at who we got. I like Willis well enough. But I’m not a fan of his run first/ scrambling style. I’d like to see us morph more from a traditional RPO. (Good luck right??). And I honestly know NOTHING about Desmond ridder.
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,192 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
04-30-2022, 10:45 PM -
I like our draft haul.

Eckwonu makes or breaks it.

He a lt? Him or Christianson. Either way we got a better line w Corbett n Bozeman w Moton at rt. Finilaly more than decent. Go our qb!
This post was last modified: 04-30-2022, 10:53 PM by Josh21.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

05-01-2022, 05:25 AM -
(04-30-2022, 05:28 PM)BlackCatzFan Wrote: My top two QBs were Corral and Howell.  Based on body of work and arm talent.  I really like howell’s potential. But I’m not mad at Corral’s accuracy and release. And I honestly know NOTHING about Desmond ridder.

Hey BCF... Well, it's obvious you think about this stuff anyway.  I think about it also. I don't really follow college ball as much as I should, but there's only so much time available. I watched more film this year (hours and hours of it..) than any other year in recent memory.
One of my real surprises this year was Nevada QB, Carson Strong. Strong went UNDRAFTED. I was completely shocked.  Huh 
Unbelievable.!! Strong is the QB who has the arm. !!  His only real problem (as far as I could see..) was his injury. A couple of  knee surgeries earlier, including one at the end of 2020. He came storming back last year after surgery and put up fantastic numbers while playing with a knee brace. Strong threw for over 4100 yards last year. 36 TDs against only 8 INTs and over 70% Completions. He played in the Mountain West Conference. Against Fresno State last year he threw 50 completions for almost 5oo yards  (over 80%..), a Nevada single game record. He was compared to Josh Allen and projected to go 2nd round (maybe 3rd..). Prototypical size (6'3"--225..) and tremendously strong arm.------- UNDRAFTED. --- SMH...SMH.  That's what injuries can do I guess..... Anyway, I understand the Eagles signed him as a UDFA after the draft.

Oh well.  C'est la vie.....
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

05-01-2022, 09:33 AM -
(04-30-2022, 10:45 PM)Josh21 Wrote: I like our draft haul.

Eckwonu makes or breaks it.

He a lt?  Him or Christianson.  Either way we got a better line w Corbett n Bozeman w Moton at rt.  Finilaly more than decent.  Go our qb!

Yep... Ekwonu lives at Left Tackle. He's also taken some snaps at Left Guard.  We also picked up another Guard, Cade Mays in round 6. Supposed to be very decent on the inside. Allowed only five (5) pressures and ONE (1) sack for 272 pass-blocking snaps last year. There's no way to know how these guys transition to the next level  AND  no way to know how the new FA guys will do either. However, we are definitely in a much better position than we were last year. We actually have good depth to go with the established guys. Lets hope for a season with no (or very few..) INJURIES.!! Praying
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

05-01-2022, 03:03 PM -
Initially I had thought our draftees from day three were a bit, I don't know, ho-hum---***yawn***, or something.   I took a little time and reviewed all six. You know, the totality of this draft class looks pretty good, I am happy to say.!! The more you look around and read and think about where we were last year, then compare it to our new look this spring with this class of draftees....
I'm actually pretty happy.!! CoolDance Clap3
I have to admit our draft team did a very good job. Overall, I'd give them a B+/A-   Worship 

We've added a lot of speed, especially in places you wouldn't expect. Fastest Defensive Lineman since 2003 (Amari Barno..)  and the fastest player at the combine this year and the fastest EVER by a defensive player (Kalon Barnes -- 4.23..). Our Linebacker is quick too (Brandon Smith..) who seems destined to move around to different positions. Then throw in another O-Lineman (Cade Mays..) who can play several positions across the line, and you have a decent group. These guys are trying to break into the 53 to go along with our first two days picks, Ikem Ekwonu and Matt Corral.

Yep, I'm pleased to say I have changed my mind (mostly..).  We DONE good.!!