Free Agents
Started by Josh21

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

66 posts in this topic
Firstchance

715 posts 81 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-05-2022, 01:12 PM -
Not sure I like or dislike this move. First it does free up $11 million BUT that comes with the expense on covering over the next few years, making him the fifth highest paid RIGHT tackle in the entire league while also crippling your cap numbers over those same years. And it still begs the question who want to come other than for the money. Seems like a last ditch effort by Rhule and staff to HOPE that something good can come of this. And hope is never a good strategy.

Now I am not trying to be a Debbie Downer, just a realist who sees exactly where this team is, the horrible decisions and moved that have been made, enjoy those number two and three draft picks this year, and what should be done to better prepare for the future as quickly as possible. This road we continue to travel in getting us…frankly to same same ending location we have been at for years.

It’s just my my personal thought process that you decide now that we are rebuilding and you act like you are rebuilding verses rebuilding and acting like you are not. Rebuilding in the NFL takes three years. It takes draft picks. It’s trading current assists for future assists. It takes understanding that and getting on with it. What are you playing for, another five or six win season or a championship, which means maybe you only win three or four next week. Option one is insane and never works, option two is a little more painful but gets you on a path for success… is there really that much difference in winning three games with a clear plan or continuing to be stuck in winning five games, maybe.

Now criticize all you want.
This post was last modified: 03-05-2022, 07:51 PM by Firstchance.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,764 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-05-2022, 07:44 PM -
Hey First..
I don't think anyone is going to be particularly critical.... Opinions vary widely about the advisability of restructuring contracts. ONE thing is certain.... The Panthers are not plowing virgin ground. ALL teams do this for various reasons. Most of the time it is to free up space THIS YEAR in exchange for pushing the 'burden' forward a year or two.

Personally, I would like to see how the restructure was shaped. How it's divided. How much in which year, etc., etc.  Eleven million moved forward COULD, MIGHT be quite a burden in the future, Maybe.... Depends on the year and how much other cap money is, or will be, available at that time.
I don't know..... I am not a cap expert.

¿Quien sabe?
This post was last modified: 03-05-2022, 07:45 PM by Hobbit99.
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,192 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-05-2022, 09:10 PM -
Helps us now. Moton still gets paid. Good move. Best ol we got.

Build that line up. I like Brady n brown. Give me at least 3 more!
This post was last modified: 03-05-2022, 09:13 PM by Josh21.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

03-08-2022, 05:01 PM -
OKAY.... Here is a question for you guys. Forgetting QB for a moment..... Who would you like to see the Panthers pick up in Free Agency for the O-Line.?? Try to keep it REAL.!! I am not certain at this point. I will do some review and post my choices after...
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,192 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-08-2022, 11:10 PM -
Heck, who’s affordable? We need a lt (depending on Christianson), n maybe a g( depending on BC’s placement) or two. A c would b nice. Other than that we’re fine. Just need lb depth, dl depth, db depth, n a qb. Simple. We’ve got some front line starters, just missing pieces. If cb, dl, lb, n OL can take a step up, 7-9 wins. Know that’s hopeful, but if Rhule’s not competitive we have a new coach next year. We were more competitive last year. With a worse defense. Figure that.
This post was last modified: 03-08-2022, 11:12 PM by Josh21.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

03-09-2022, 12:54 PM -
Hobbit99
(02-11-2022, 12:59 PM)Hobbit99 Wrote: SO, Here are the Panthers Free Agents for 2022. Interestingly enough, there are twenty-two FAs in 2022.

I will try to keep this current as we go forward. As the news breaks, I'll update this list with who is staying, and who isn't. It'll be interesting to see which and how many of these guys stay around.

UPDATED TO INCLUDE STATUS OF Zane Gonzalez and Julian Stanford

Ameer Abdullah--
Juston Burris--
Jermaine Carter Jr.--
Sean Chandler--
Lachlan Edwards--
Alex Erickson--
Stephon Gilmore--
Zane Gonzalez--RETAINED/RESIGNED/EXTENDED SEE HERE: Panthers Extend Zane Gonzalez (Official Announcement)
Marquis Haynes Sr.--
Donte jackson--
J.J. Jansen--RETAINED/RESIGNED/EXTENDED SEE HERE: Panthers Agree to Terms With Jansen (Official Announcement)
DaQuan Jones--
Frankie Luvu--RETAINED/RESIGNED/EXTENDED SEE HERE:  Panthers Retain Luvu (Official Announcement)
Raashan Melvin--
John Miller--
Cam Newton--
Matt Paradis--
Haason Reddick--
Trent Scott--
Julian Stanford--RETAINED/RESIGNED/EXTENDED SEE HERE:  Panthers Extend Stanford (Official Announcement)
Ian Thomas--RETAINED/RESIGNED/EXTENDED SEE HERE:  Panthers Resign Thomas (Official Announcement)
Brandon Zylstra--

UPDATED THURSDAY, 3-09-2022
This post was last modified: 03-09-2022, 09:48 PM by Hobbit99.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

03-09-2022, 09:27 PM -
(03-08-2022, 05:01 PM)Hobbit99 Wrote: OKAY.... Here is a question for you guys. Forgetting QB for a moment..... Who would you like to see the Panthers pick up in Free Agency for the O-Line.?? Try to keep it REAL.!!  I am not certain at this point. I will do some review and post my choices after...

Okay.... I've looked around a little. Here is what I've come up with... Understanding that there are some HIGH-priced guys out there, but I've intentionally stayed away from names like Terron Armstead, Orlando Brown Jr, Eric Fisher, Brandon Scherff...etc., etc..
***These guys are in NO particular order..Just the way I discovered them.***

Morgan Moses (Tackle) (Jets) Graded @ 71.0 Currently at about 3.5 Mil --- expected to go up some from there.

Brandon Shell (Tackle) (Seahawks) Graded @ 67.0 -- possible injury issues-- Currently @ about 5 Mil counting signing bonus.

Eric Fisher (Tackle)  (Colts)  Graded 68.2 -- Currently @ 6.5 against the cap

Connor Williams (Guard) (Cowboys) Graded @75.2 -- Currently @ about 1.4 Mil BUT expect that to go WAY up.

Ben Jones (Center) (Titans) Graded @ 76.4 -- 32 y.o. -- Some experience at Guard-- Currently @ about 7 Mil.

Andrew Norwell (Guard) (Jaguars) Graded @ 66.7 -- 31 y.o. -- Pretty expensive, but I left him here because of his history with the Panthers.

Trai Turner (Guard) (Steelers) Graded @ 68.1 -- 29 y.o. -- History with Panthers -- Panthers contract, 1st Renewal.. Was about 11 Mil/yr. Went to Steelers last year one year contract for 3 Mil. In between he played for the Chargers.

These are some of the O-Line guys that might make a difference for the Panthers. There are others out there. Don't know what they would cost. I expect Turner would NOT come so cheap this year. I also expect Connor Williams to go up exponentially.  But, who knows.?? Have to inquire to find out.!!
This post was last modified: 03-10-2022, 03:56 PM by Hobbit99.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

03-10-2022, 03:39 PM -
If you've been following along, you will notice the "chart" posted above has been updated several times over the past couple of weeks. The latest update shows the Panthers signing two more of their own Free Agents. The original list of twenty-two FA players is now down to seventeen (17..).  The latest players to fall prey to the Panthers charms are Kicker, Zane Gonzalez and LB & ST player, Julian Stanford.

Gonzalez was brought on board after a multi-week, terrible, mind-bending, breath-holding experiment that lasted through a bunch of kickers. I don't remember how many for certain, but you can't count them on one hand.!! In any event, Gonzalez stepped in and took over. His numbers for the year showed him at 90%(+) on FG kicks and PATs (X-tra Pts..). His only "downside" was a perceived lack of distance on FGs. He ended the year with a long of 57 yds (I think..??). Never attempted a 60 or longer. So--- while I would prefer a kicker who could handle 60-65 yd kicks, Gonzalez makes up for the length deficit with his accuracy. I'm totally satisfied for now.

Julian Stanford has made his way and continues to do so by being ready and playing Special Teams. He's played in spots, but is part and parcel to our ST efforts. Stanford has been with the Panthers for the past two years and led the team in ST tackles for both of those years. He finished last year with eleven (11) ST tackles and one forced fumble.

More signings to come I'm sure.!!
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

03-12-2022, 08:32 PM -
***Pat Elflein***

The latest news before the new league year is about G/C Pat Elflein. Reports circulating are saying the Panthers and Elflein have agreed to restructure his contract. So....some additional cap space is projected.

Here are the notes.....
Cat Scratch Reader--- Panthers-Elflein agree to Restructure

PANTHERS--- PANTHERS Restructure Elflein contract
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

03-14-2022, 07:54 PM -
***Incoming Free Agents***

With the legal tampering period now underway, the Panthers have "apparently" Agreed To Terms with O-Line stalwart Austin Corbett and Safety Xavier Woods. Corbett is from the LA Rams and fresh off of a Super Bowl win. Corbett started all 17 games for the Rams last year and played over a thousand snaps (1081..). He had two penalties and three sacks allowed for the entire year.
Woods is from the Vikings. He was a 6th round pick by the Cowboys in 2017. He played one year for the Vikings.

NBC Sports Edge: Announcement for Corbett to Panthers
PANTHERS: Panthers announce "targeting" Corbett

NBC Sports: Announcement--Woods to Panthers
PANTHERS: Panthers pursuing Woods
This post was last modified: 03-14-2022, 10:06 PM by Hobbit99.