Started by Josh21

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

30 posts in this topic
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,299 posts 742 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-09-2024, 07:05 AM -
In all fairness, though, we were not playing any starters, and using our 3rd string guys. The problem with that is the other teams' 3rd stringers are always better than our 3rd stringers lol
Ladypanther

611 posts 115 threads Joined: Oct 2023
08-09-2024, 07:53 AM -
(08-09-2024, 07:05 AM)PantherFan007 Wrote: In all fairness, though, we were not playing any starters, and using our 3rd string guys.  The problem with that is the other teams' 3rd stringers are always better than our 3rd stringers lol

Yea...depth seems to have always been a problem here and at best will take some time to fix.  I think 30 starters did not dress. This week the joint practices with the Jets should help the team.  

I was hoping the oline would do a little better with run blocking....even though 2nd & 3rd stringers.

I don't think that Plummer got the 2.7 memo.

Some of the D players looked good...played with a little fire.

Looks like it will take a miracle for this team to be ready for the opener.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

3,001 posts 559 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-09-2024, 10:10 AM -
(08-09-2024, 07:05 AM)PantherFan007 Wrote: In all fairness, though, we were not playing any starters, and using our 3rd string guys.  The problem with that is the other teams' 3rd stringers are always better than our 3rd stringers lol

(08-09-2024, 07:53 AM)Ladypanther Wrote: PantherFan007

Yea...depth seems to have always been a problem here and at best will take some time to fix.  I think 30 starters did not dress. This week the joint practices with the Jets should help the team.  

I was hoping the oline would do a little better with run blocking....even though 2nd & 3rd stringers.

I'll mention a few things here.... Then I'll shut-up about this. --  Everyone knows there was precious little in this game to generate a positive outlook.

First, let me say -- REMEMBER: We are "playing" from a 90 man roster. So what.??  Well, I'm glad you asked. In a couple of weeks a LOT of these guys will be cut. Thirty seven (37) of them to be exact. Last night we had 33 inactive 1st and 2nd string players. That leaves 20 players from last night who will be available to us when the season starts. Then subtract 4 ST guys (2 kickers, LS, & P) and you can count a total of 16 players from last night who will be on the roster when the season starts. Of those 16, a lot of them are 3rd and 4th level guys and "camp fodder" players who were on the field because we opted to hold out 33 starters and first-line backups. So ..... Nothing that occurred last night (OK, 'very little' that occurred..) was indicative of anything that might occur in the regular season. DEPTH.??  Nope, not an issue either. Remember, most of our 2nd level players didn't play either (SOME of them played a little..).  Just like "Iron sharpens iron", the opposite is also true. 2nd and 3rd level players playing with a team of 'fluff' players will NOT look good.  It's just not possible.

Next, let me say, there were a few bright spots mixed in with the chaff. Plummer held the ball too long (certainly). But he also had NO help from receivers who dropped more balls than they caught. He also showed that he has a very strong arm. Overall.... not bad. The rest of the Offense was pretty poor, as might be expected from a bunch of 3rd and 4th level guys. One disappointing effort was from Cade Mays. Shockingly, he looked totally unprepared. Defensively, there were a few guys who came to play. A couple of CB plays looked good (Lamar Jackson and ??). Also Eku Leota was a CONSTANT presence in the Patriots backfield. Multiple stops behind the line. So, Leota CAN get some pressure.

Last thing... I don't understand the "WHY" of holding out all of these players. I know we must decide on the ones who make the roster, but playing a BUNCH of guys who have NO CHANCE to make it .... Just seems a little strange to me.

OK, so that's it. Nothing to panic about. The lack of inspired football was to be expected. I wonder though, if the starters and 1st line backups don't need a little "prep" work too...???
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"
OceanPanther

151 posts 17 threads Joined: Mar 2020
08-09-2024, 12:06 PM -
That was a dreadful game to watch from a Panthers prospective .. Whew. Glad that's over.

O line.. I'm not sure if any of those guys will be on the roster ( except Christiansen ) . Poor Mike Boone ,, 5th string running back,, but he wasn't bad.

There are some players from the defense that will play.

If we sorta start the same type line up against the Jets , I'll probably not watch. And after we have live scrimmages with them this week,, I could see us not starting some starters again.

We can not afford injuries based on what we saw last evening.. Very hard to watch.
Ladypanther

08-09-2024, 01:29 PM -
(08-09-2024, 10:10 AM)Hobbit99 Wrote:

(08-09-2024, 07:53 AM)Ladypanther Wrote: PantherFan007

I'll mention a few things here.... Then I'll shut-up about this. --  Everyone knows there was precious little in this game to generate a positive outlook.

First, let me say -- REMEMBER: We are "playing" from a 90 man roster. So what.??  Well, I'm glad you asked. In a couple of weeks a LOT of these guys will be cut. Thirty seven (37) of them to be exact. Last night we had 33 inactive 1st and 2nd string players. That leaves 20 players from last night who will be available to us when the season starts. Then subtract 4 ST guys (2 kickers, LS, & P) and you can count a total of 16 players from last night who will be on the roster when the season starts. Of those 16, a lot of them are 3rd and 4th level guys and "camp fodder" players who were on the field because we opted to hold out 33 starters and first-line backups. So ..... Nothing that occurred last night (OK, 'very little' that occurred..) was indicative of anything that might occur in the regular season. DEPTH.??  Nope, not an issue either. Remember, most of our 2nd level players didn't play either (SOME of them played a little..).  Just like "Iron sharpens iron", the opposite is also true. 2nd and 3rd level players playing with a team of 'fluff' players will NOT look good.  It's just not possible.

Next, let me say, there were a few bright spots mixed in with the chaff. Plummer held the ball too long (certainly). But he also had NO help from receivers who dropped more balls than they caught. He also showed that he has a very strong arm. Overall.... not bad. The rest of the Offense was pretty poor, as might be expected from a bunch of 3rd and 4th level guys. One disappointing effort was from Cade Mays. Shockingly, he looked totally unprepared. Defensively, there were a few guys who came to play. A couple of CB plays looked good (Lamar Jackson and ??). Also Eku Leota was a CONSTANT presence in the Patriots backfield. Multiple stops behind the line. So, Leota CAN get some pressure.

Last thing... I don't understand the "WHY" of holding out all of these players. I know we must decide on the ones who make the roster, but playing a BUNCH of guys who have NO CHANCE to make it .... Just seems a little strange to me.

OK, so that's it. Nothing to panic about. The lack of inspired football was to be expected. I wonder though, if the starters and 1st line backups don't need a little "prep" work too...???

Good points Hobs.  For sure it was a different strategy than what we are used to.  Who knows. The coaches certainly sharpened their potential cut list last night. Plus, they may have identified a handful of guys that they want to get more reps in practice.  Christensen is supposed to be learning to play every position on the line...he sure got some experience in that game!

The "traditional" preseason strategy certainly did nothing to help last year....lol. Hope this has better success. Hell...can't be any worse!
Firstchance
Posting Freak

756 posts 84 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-10-2024, 09:07 AM -
We paid Dane Jackson 8.5 million with a 3 million signing bonus and he is the only suspected starter to play with this group of misfits. Seems Dan O really whiffed on this one.
OceanPanther

08-10-2024, 09:40 AM -
I know y'all know a lot more than me. So share some of the positives that the average football fan doesn't see.. ( Other than punting and long snapping ) .. I'm sure there were some positives ...

" 7 first downs and 3 points .... nice first drive,, not a game total "
Ladypanther

08-10-2024, 09:49 AM -
(08-10-2024, 09:40 AM)OceanPanther Wrote: I know y'all know a lot more than me.  So share some of the positives that the average football fan doesn't see..  ( Other than punting and long snapping ) ..  I'm sure there were some positives ...

" 7 first downs and 3 points ....  nice first drive,,  not a game total "

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5690715...-patriots/

Who helped themselves

RB Mike Boone
With the top three running backs sitting, someone had to carry the ball for the Panthers. That someone was Boone, the seventh-year veteran who was one of the few bright spots for the Carolina offense. Boone hit the holes hard, held on to the ball and picked up the Panthers’ initial first down with an 11-yard gain in the first half. The 29-year-old Boone also caught three of four targets for 13 yards.

TE Jordan Matthews
The Panthers tight end room has been hit hard by injuries, with Tommy Tremble and Ian Thomas sidelined and Stephen Sullivan waived with an injury settlement Thursday. Fourth-round pick Ja’Tavion Sanders had a good week of practice. But it was 32-year-old Matthews, the former Philadelphia Eagles wideout, who stood out against the Patriots with three catches for 48 yards.
Jordan Matthews last caught a pass in the regular season in 2019. He was the Panthers’ leading receiver in their first preseason game Thursday with three receptions for 48 yards. (Brian Fluharty / USA Today)

CB Lamar Jackson
The journeyman with the same name as the Baltimore Ravens quarterback and two-time MVP had a good showing in coverage to go with two tackles. Jackson, who has good length (6 feet 2 inches) and plays a physical style, might have gotten away with a pass interference on a deep ball early in the game. But by turning his head toward the ball, he likely influenced a good no-call by the official. The first three or four corner spots look set. But Jackson has a chance. “He made some great plays for us,” Canales said. “He had a couple of great tackles and nice hits out there, too. So he really showed something and showed us something about him.”

OLB Eku Leota
With injuries to D.J. Wonnum and Amaré Barno, the Panthers have been looking for someone to provide a spark at the edge spot opposite Jadeveon Clowney. Enter Leota, who played with energy and purpose against the Patriots. The former Auburn defender had a first-half hit on quarterback Bailey Zappe, who followed one-series stints by Jacoby Brissett and Drake Maye. Leota made the tackle on the second-half kickoff before dropping RB JaMycal Hasty for a 4-yard loss on the Patriots’ first possession. “I got to look at the film to see what the whole story was,” Canales said of Leota. “But the effort was there, the style of play was fantastic.”

DT T.J. Smith
Smith quietly has edged his way up the depth chart on the interior. The 6-foot-3, 300-pound Smith is competing for a backup spot with Nick Thurman, who played in all 17 games in 2023. Smith, who appeared in four games in three seasons in Minnesota, helped his cause by bulling his way into the backfield and sacking Zappe in the second quarter.
OceanPanther

08-10-2024, 01:08 PM -
Good read Lady Panther.
Firstchance
Posting Freak

756 posts 84 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-11-2024, 04:02 PM -
It was good seeing Stroud, Levis and Richardson all starting and getting in a couple series.