Rate this topic
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average

5 posts in this topic
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

3,001 posts 559 threads Joined: Dec 2019
09-03-2024, 09:55 PM -
NEWS on the street....

The latest news to hit the sports wires indicates that the Panthers are concerned about the TE room, with Tommy Tremble still not completely "active" and Ian Thomas in the same boat, not having practiced for several weeks. It now appears that the Panthers have signed (will sign), (are going to sign..), (are interested in signing (probably) -- maybe..??) another TE, at least for the short term.

Quote:"The Carolina Panthers may very well be without their top two tight ends when they kick off their regular season on Sunday. So, they’re looking to grab a little bit of insurance.

As first reported by Aaron Wilson of KPRC 2 Houston on Tuesday, the team is signing tight end Messiah Swinson off the Green Bay Packers’ practice squad. The 6-foot-7, 259-pound rookie will now be added to Carolina’s active 53-man roster ahead of their Week 1 matchup against the New Orleans Saints."

If in fact this happens, the Panthers will have ... uhh, another TE..??  NOTICE -- The size of this guy..??  Maybe we could transition him into an OLB - Edge guy..???   One thing is certain. If the Panthers sign him, he will be on the 53 Roster. Rules, man. It's the rules...

PANTHERS WIRE: Panthers Raiding GB Packers Practice Squad
This post was last modified: 09-03-2024, 09:59 PM by Hobbit99.
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

09-04-2024, 01:35 PM -
Well, It's Official.

Today (Wednesday) the Panthers have officially announced the acquisition of TE Messiah Swinson from the GB Packers Practice Squad.  Because "Rules must..", Swinson has been signed to the 53 Roster where he will remain for four weeks (minimum). He could be removed, cut, traded, waived, etc. before that time period is complete, but he would still "count" for the requisite four weeks. IOW... The Panthers could remove him, but he would still count as part of the roster and could NOT be replaced until the required time period has been satisfied. 

It will be interesting to see what he brings to the roster (if anything..). Would love to see a BIG guy like this make a splash of any sort, but especially as a TE.!!
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,299 posts 742 threads Joined: Dec 2019
09-04-2024, 04:15 PM -
I know exactly zero about Messiah.    What I did find interesting, and surprising, was the TE Ian Thomas "has not scored a touchdown since the 2020 season".  I mean, who doesn't get cut from a Team for less than that??

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/pan...a4a7&ei=77

The Carolina Panthers have signed tight end Messiah Swinson off the Green Bay Packers' practice squad, according to a report by Aaron Wilson. Swinson (6-foot-7, 249 pounds) split his college career between three years at Missouri, followed by two years at Arizona State. All together, he put up 28 catches, 317 yards and two touchdowns. After going undrafted he was signed by Green Bay.

Swinson adds depth to one of Carolina's weakest position groups going into the 2024 NFL season.

At the top of the unit there's Ian Thomas, who hasn't scored a touchdown since the 2020 season. Thomas is currently dealing with a calf injury and may be questionable to play Week 1 against the New Orleans Saints.

After Thomas it's Tommy Tremble, rookie Ja'Tavion Sanders out of Texas, veteran Jordan Matthews and then Swinson bringing up the bottom of the depth chart. ESPN has this group ranked as the worst tight end unit in the league this year, as is appropriate.

That means there's a lot of room for somebody to step up and make a name for themselves, even Swinson. Whoever can establish a rhythm with second-year quarterback Bryce Young the fastest will have a huge advantage over the rest of the group.
This post was last modified: 09-04-2024, 04:17 PM by PantherFan007.
Ladypanther

611 posts 115 threads Joined: Oct 2023
09-04-2024, 04:47 PM -
Swinson must be attractive as a blocker...supposedly the thing that kept Thomas hanging on here.

I think Sanders is the future...the near future.  He will be catching a bunch of balls from Bryce this year.. I bet Tremble will benefit from a Canales offense.. Hell...Matthews looks good.  I feel better about the TE room than I have since the Greg days.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

09-04-2024, 07:16 PM -
I think Ian Thomas is going to be "Odd Man Out..". And I wouldn't be surprised if it happened pretty quickly. With this acquisition, the Panthers have essentially filled the "blocking" hole and made Ian Thomas the current year equivalent of "Mr. Irrelevant". Obviously, I don't KNOW anything, but I can't see the Panthers keeping five TEs on the roster. It just doesn't compute.

Of course, if this guy, Messiah Swinson, fails miserably as a blocker and contributor (maybe Special Teams..?), then maybe he disappears after the four weeks are concluded. In that case Ian Thomas could continue to 'exist' as the fourth TE. 

I agree with LP here, that Ja’Tavion Sanders (and Tommy Tremble..) will be #1 & #2 in the TE room (there's room for discussion about WHEN Sanders will assume that role, and whether he will be #1 or #2..). Right now, TT is #1. I've lobbied for Jordan Matthews continuously since he arrived on the Panthers scene. He deserves the opportunity, and he has performed well.

That leaves one spot (#4..). Ian Thomas and Messiah Swinson will fight over it. One of these guys will soon be gone. The Panthers would not have signed Swinson to a 4-week stint on the 53 Roster without having 'plans' for an almost immediate solution. The Panthers will NOT carry five TEs on the 53 for long....
BlackCatzFan

391 posts 44 threads Joined: Dec 2019
09-04-2024, 09:26 PM -
Ian Thomas is a blocking TE who can’t block. He’s not a possession TE, he is literally a wasted opportunity. He’s been hurt for as long as I remember