Started by Hobbit99

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

18 posts in this topic
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,769 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
05-17-2023, 06:40 PM -
Just a couple of quick comments here, then I'll jump off my "stump" and allow all of you to berate me and call me names.

Look.... I recognize that the Panthers have invested in a QB at #1 overall in the draft. I know that they claim that he was their "consensus" pick at QB. So, YES, I understand. But, honestly, I've just had enough of the bowing and scraping. I've had enough of everyone fawning over this guy. I've had enough of everyone talking great platitudes and making excuses when he hasn't taken a snap yet.!!

I just wish everyone would STOP with all the hype. Let him develop and then we'll see just how "good" or "great" he is. Let him play eight, ten, or more games and see how he looks. Then we'll have a bit of an idea.....maybe.  Let him play through his rookie contract and see how he performs in year 8, 9 and 10.  I surely hope he does well. We NEED a top performing QB.  But, hear this....... I am NOT prepared to give him the "keys to the city" just yet. Short, small, QBs can be found almost every year. However, GREAT short, small QBs are almost unheard of. So, to Bryce Young I'll say, "You're going to have to prove yourself, Bubba."

Bryce Young is NOT the 'second coming'. Bryce Young is NOT 'the greatest thing since sliced bread'. Bryce Young does NOT automatically get a "pass" on the performance treadmill.  Before we place him into the "hallowed halls" of football prominence or anoint him as a "great" QB, let's see how good he is, and for how long. Remember..... Cam looked pretty good too, for a few years. Didn't last though, did it..???

My opinion is.... We (all of us...) need to dial all of this 'crap' back by at least half. Give this guy a chance to make good. Let's not think he "walks on water" when he's just splashing around trying to keep from drowning.

Okay.... Down off my soapbox now.  Fire away.
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,194 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
05-17-2023, 09:10 PM -
He’s #2 on the depth chart hobbit. Maybe not fans, but coaches are installing a new playbook. Vet shows him how. I don’t want Daulton starting week one, but they are bringing Bryce along slowly. Install the o, get veteran to help rook when it’s finished. If he’s not ready Daulton is the middle man of qb’s. He’s got a great setup. Hope he does well. No crazy praise here, I wait to see it. Hope I do, but I liked Clausen n Edwards too. U never know.

Also remember Newton lasted longer than Jake. MHO
This post was last modified: 05-17-2023, 10:03 PM by Josh21.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

05-20-2023, 10:10 AM -
(05-17-2023, 09:10 PM)Josh21 Wrote: He’s #2 on the depth chart hobbit.  Maybe not fans, but coaches are installing a new playbook.  Vet shows him how.  I don’t want Daulton starting week one, but they are bringing Bryce along slowly.  Install the o, get veteran to help rook when it’s finished.  If he’s not ready Daulton is the middle man of qb’s.  He’s got a great setup.  Hope he does well.  No crazy praise here, I wait to see it.  Hope I do, but I liked Clausen n Edwards too.  U never know.

Also remember Newton lasted longer than Jake.  MHO    Hmm --- Well, not really. Both of them played 11 years. Jake actually played longer if you consider his 2 or 3 years in NFL Europe.

Hmmm..... Yes, he's #2. Which, in my opinion, is exactly where he belongs. No way a rookie QB, especially a tiny "smurf" of a QB, should be automatically given a starting role.... just because he was drafted high. What do you have against Dalton.?  I don't know the guy. I've never followed him enough to know how he operates.  Yet, a quick look at his career stats tells a story.

Dalton:  11 years in league (so far). Drafted in 2011 Bengals - 35th Overall.
Newton  11 years in league (so far). Drafted in 2011 Panthers - 1st Overall.

Dalton Career:     83-77-2 W/L Record;  38,150 yds;  244/144 TDs/Ints;  2.7% Int%;   62.5 Comp.%;  87.6 Rating
Newton Career:   75-68-1 W/L Record;  32,382 yds;  194/123 TDs/Ints;  2.7% Int.%;   59.9 Comp.%;  85.2 Rating

Anyway, the Panthers made their decision and their pick. We're stuck with it now.  Maybe he will buck the odds and turn out to be a good QB. I am certain that I don't know, but I surely hope so.!!  We desperately need a high quality QB.  Fingers crossed.
Praying
This post was last modified: 05-20-2023, 10:14 AM by Hobbit99.
Josh21
Posting Freak

05-20-2023, 04:44 PM -
I have nothing against Daulton.  He’s the definition of, better than 16 starting qbs, not much better career wise.  Look up the Dalton scale.  Good placeholder, not quite elite. 

Also thought Jake played less years.  I think of Jake’s years after his 6 ints in playoffs as lost.  Same w Cam after his shoulder injury.  Both ended in whimpers of former glory.
This post was last modified: 05-20-2023, 09:45 PM by Josh21.
Josh21
Posting Freak

05-20-2023, 09:50 PM -
(05-20-2023, 04:44 PM)Josh21 Wrote: I have nothing against Daulton.  He’s the definition of, better than 16 starting qbs, not much better career wise.  Look up the Dalton scale.  Good placeholder, not quite elite. 

Also thought Jake played less years.  I think of Jake’s years after his 6 ints in playoffs as lost.  Same w Cam after his shoulder injury.  Both ended in whimpers of former glory.

Both those guys were great.  Got us to the SB.
BlackCatzFan

370 posts 43 threads Joined: Dec 2019
05-21-2023, 12:13 AM -
Fblaugh Fblaugh
Firstchance

716 posts 81 threads Joined: Dec 2019
05-22-2023, 01:14 PM -
(05-20-2023, 10:10 AM)Hobbit99 Wrote:
(05-17-2023, 09:10 PM)Josh21 Wrote: He’s #2 on the depth chart hobbit.  Maybe not fans, but coaches are installing a new playbook.  Vet shows him how.  I don’t want Daulton starting week one, but they are bringing Bryce along slowly.  Install the o, get veteran to help rook when it’s finished.  If he’s not ready Daulton is the middle man of qb’s.  He’s got a great setup.  Hope he does well.  No crazy praise here, I wait to see it.  Hope I do, but I liked Clausen n Edwards too.  U never know.

Also remember Newton lasted longer than Jake.  MHO    Hmm --- Well, not really. Both of them played 11 years. Jake actually played longer if you consider his 2 or 3 years in NFL Europe.

Hmmm..... Yes, he's #2. Which, in my opinion, is exactly where he belongs. No way a rookie QB, especially a tiny "smurf" of a QB, should be automatically given a starting role.... just because he was drafted high. What do you have against Dalton.?  I don't know the guy. I've never followed him enough to know how he operates.  Yet, a quick look at his career stats tells a story.

Dalton Career:     83-77-2 W/L Record;  38,150 yds;  244/144 TDs/Ints;  2.7% Int%;   62.5 Comp.%;  87.6 Rating
Newton Career:   75-68-1 W/L Record;  32,382 yds;  194/123 TDs/Ints;  2.7% Int.%;   59.9 Comp.%;  85.2 Rating

Anyway, the Panthers made their decision and their pick. We're stuck with it now.  Maybe he will buck the odds and turn out to be a good QB. I am certain that I don't know, but I surely hope so.!!  We desperately need a high quality QB.  Fingers crossed.
Praying
“Smurf” still rolling in the floor laughing. That was a good one. (( hoping he will be a super hero Smurf, who knows, time will tell ))
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

05-24-2023, 11:07 AM -
(05-22-2023, 01:14 PM)Firstchance Wrote:
(05-20-2023, 10:10 AM)Hobbit99 Wrote: Hmmm..... Yes, he's #2. Which, in my opinion, is exactly where he belongs. No way a rookie QB, especially a tiny "smurf" of a QB, should be automatically given a starting role.... just because he was drafted high. What do you have against Dalton.?  I don't know the guy. I've never followed him enough to know how he operates.  Yet, a quick look at his career stats tells a story.

Praying

“Smurf” still rolling in the floor laughing. That was a good one. (( hoping he will be a super hero Smurf, who knows, time will tell ))

LOL... yeah, that was a little more "cutesy" than I had planned. No 'serious' disrespect intended.

I stand by what I said though. The history of small, short QBs in the NFL is easy enough to review. There aren't many. I have some numbers around here somewhere that seemed pretty enlightening. Maybe I'll pull them together....

For the record... I HOPE that Young comes here and really tears it up. We really NEED a good solid QB.
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,158 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
05-24-2023, 12:34 PM -
Personally speaking, even Bryce Young admits that he is owed nothing.  And personally speaking, I am sincerely in awe each time he speaks.  It is so awesome to hear such an intelligent young man explain himself and the game he is playing.

Now, just look at both of our #1 Overall Pick Quarterbacks and tell me which one you would bet the farm on.....

This post was last modified: 05-24-2023, 12:50 PM by PantherFan007.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

05-24-2023, 05:51 PM -
(05-24-2023, 12:34 PM)PantherFan007 Wrote: Personally speaking, even Bryce Young admits that he is owed nothing.  And personally speaking, I am sincerely in awe each time he speaks.  It is so awesome to hear such an intelligent young man explain himself and the game he is playing.

Now, just look at both of our #1 Overall Pick Quarterbacks and tell me which one you would bet the farm on.....

Haha  LOL...  Big Grin Wink  You probably won't get much argument about their interview skills.  So, let me answer your question in good faith...

"Bet the farm" on .....

Highest IQ = Bryce Young
Best GRE or GMAT score = Bryce Young
Most likely to be a Philosophy professor at Yale or Harvard = Bryce Young
Most likely to finish Law school or Medical school = Bryce Young
Most likely to entertain with witty rejoinders = Bryce Young

I'll bet all of you can see the problem with projecting Young's ability to speak and think to NFL QB play... Right.??

Most likely to run a successful RPO = Cam Newton
Most likely to run over or through a defender = Cam Newton
Most likely to throw a 60 yd completed pass = Cam Newton
Most likely to see a receiver over the middle for short yardage 1st down = Cam Newton
Most likely to score on a goal line power play = Cam Newton

What I'm saying here is... Bryce Young is a VERY smart young man. No doubt. He is capable of great command of the language and is a very personable. No doubt he can handle the press and interviews with aplomb.   BUT.... we're talking about NFL football.  We have absolutely NOTHING in the way of "numbers" to evaluate. No Combine measurables, no 40 time, no strength numbers, no vertical, no split times, no mobility measurables at all.  At Alabama Pro Day = Same thing. He threw the ball, yes.  He took snaps, yes.  But once again, NO MEASUREABLES.  Nothing to evaluate at all. 

Do we have any idea how fast he is? = NO
Do we know how strong he is? = NO
Is he "quick" and/or "agile"? = Who knows.?

SO... As I've said several times already, I sincerely HOPE that Young breaks through the "Small/Short QB" syndrome. We really NEED a very competent QB. I have my fingers crossed.!! -------- Sadly, the odds are against him.

So, ..... "Bet the farm"?? --- Uhh, NO.