Started by PantherFan007

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

3 posts in this topic
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,158 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
07-31-2023, 10:36 AM -
Another Matt Rhule home-cooking has been let walk.   Brayvion did well at times in our 4-3, but the article indicates he was quickly overshadowed by rookies and other newcomers in our new 3-4 Defense.

https://www.panthers.com/news/panthers-w...avvion-roy

SPARTANBURG — The Panthers are making a change on the defensive line.

The team waived defensive tackle Bravvion Roy Monday.

The former sixth-round pick from Baylor played in 45 games and started 15 in three seasons with the Panthers. With the change to a 3-4 defense this offseason, the Panthers brought in a number of newcomers with more familiarity in the scheme.

To replace him on the roster, they signed defensive lineman LaBryan Ray.

The Alabama product spent time with the Patriots last year and recently played in the XFL.
Firstchance

716 posts 81 threads Joined: Dec 2019
07-31-2023, 06:34 PM -
This was surprising based on how early in camp. I actually think Roy is more suited for the 3-4 than he was for the 4-3. Coming from Baylor they play almost exclusively a 3 man front, 3-2-6 mainly. So not being cut but being cut so early is surprising. With all the early transactions this staff must mean business and guys better bring it every day unless your name is Burns!
This post was last modified: 08-01-2023, 09:03 AM by Firstchance.
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,158 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
07-31-2023, 07:41 PM -
Yeah, I was a little surprised, too, that he was cut so early.  As I said, I thought he had some good games since being drafted.

Here is some more information on the cut.   If he makes waivers, they might resign him.

Panthers waive Matt Rhule era holdover to make room for Bryce Young’s Alabama teammate (msn.com)

The team announced it waived defensive tackle Bravvion Roy to make room for the signing of former Alabama defensive tackle LaBryan Ray. Roy, a 2020 sixth-round pick, was an awkward fit for the Panthers’ new 3-4 scheme under defensive coordinator Ejiro Evero. At 6-foot-1 and 330 pounds, Roy lacked the height and length to thrive at nose tackle in an odd front.

Roy played college football at Baylor under Rhule. The former Panthers head coach then drafted Roy in Carolina during his first draft at the helm. Roy played for the Panthers during all three of Rhule’s seasons in Carolina.

During his three-year tenure with the Panthers, Roy, 26, appeared in 45 games and produced 76 tackles, a sack and an interception. He will now be subject to waivers with one year remaining on his rookie contract.

Ray, listed as 6-foot-4 and 290 pounds, is likely to play defensive end for the Panthers. The 25-year-old defensive lineman played for Alabama from 2017 to 2021, and he was a teammate of rookie quarterback Bryce Young for two seasons with the Crimson Tide. He won two national championship games at Alabama, including one with Young in 2020.

Ray spent last summer with the New England Patriots. He played for the USFL’s Philadelphia Stars this past spring.
This post was last modified: 07-31-2023, 07:45 PM by PantherFan007.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,769 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-01-2023, 10:35 PM -
(07-31-2023, 06:34 PM)Firstchance Wrote: This was surprising based on how early in camp. I actually think Roy is more suited for the 3-4 than he was for the 4-3. Coming from Baylor they play almost exclusively a 3 man front, 3-2-6 mainly. So not being cut but being cut so early is surprising. With all the early transactions this staff must mean business and guys better bring it every day unless your name is Burns!

A little strange....to be sure.

Bravvion Roy was one of the guys I thought would support the D-Line. I figured him for a NT at his size and the way he played in the middle. Just indicates that no one is safe right now. Thirty seven (37) of these guys will not make the roster. Some will end up on the PS (maybe 10..??) when it all shakes out.

** 16 players allowed on the PS.  At least 10 of those must have no more than two NFL seasons. The other 6 can be veterans.**
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"