Started by PantherFan007

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

11 posts in this topic
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,158 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-14-2023, 11:53 AM -
First of all, I was highly pi$$ed off because I wasn't able to be at home when the game started, so I set up the DVR to record it.  The NFL Network stated the game was the Panthers vs Jets.  I got home right at the beginning of the second quarter, only to find out it WASN'T the Panthers vs Jets, it was the freaking Lions against somebody.  I was at least able to get to watch almost three quarters of the game.

That having been said, I almost wished I hadn't.  Bryce must have crapped his drawers as fast as our O-Line was letting the pass rushers thru.

It was hard to watch.  Definitely NOT what I expected to see, even from the first preseason game.

[Image: 366926438_6930140537036946_2731151483761...e=64E01D9D]
This post was last modified: 08-14-2023, 11:54 AM by PantherFan007.
BlackCatzFan

370 posts 43 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-14-2023, 01:05 PM -
People keep saying “Reich said he’s not showing our full play book”. Ya da ya da ya da…. I hope that’s not code for “we don’t know”…

To be fair, it’s a new offense, a new defense, and a lot of new pieces. But SHEESH.
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,194 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-14-2023, 09:28 PM -
Not at all impressed, at least it was the first preseason game.

(08-14-2023, 11:53 AM)PantherFan007 Wrote: First of all, I was highly pi$$ed off because I wasn't able to be at home when the game started, so I set up the DVR to record it.  The NFL Network stated the game was the Panthers vs Jets.  I got home right at the beginning of the second quarter, only to find out it WASN'T the Panthers vs Jets, it was the freaking Lions against somebody.  I was at least able to get to watch almost three quarters of the game.

That having been said, I almost wished I hadn't.  Bryce must have crapped his drawers as fast as our O-Line was letting the pass rushers thru.

It was hard to watch.  Definitely NOT what I expected to see, even from the first preseason game.

[Image: 366926438_6930140537036946_2731151483761...e=64E01D9D]

Hate that man.  U missed little but Bryce getting popped n bounce up thrice.
This post was last modified: 08-14-2023, 09:31 PM by Josh21.
PantherFan007
Administrator

08-15-2023, 05:40 AM -
(08-14-2023, 01:05 PM)BlackCatzFan Wrote: People keep saying “Reich said he’s not showing our full play book”. Ya da ya da ya da…. I hope that’s not code for “we don’t know”…

To be fair, it’s a new offense, a new defense, and a lot of new pieces. But SHEESH.

But the new Defense played like a solid defense.  The new Offense played like someone's friendly dog showing the robbers where the cash was kept.
Firstchance

716 posts 81 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-15-2023, 04:58 PM -
First half, be glad you missed most of it, was the most horrid display of football I have ever seen, at any level.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,769 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-16-2023, 11:06 AM -
(08-14-2023, 01:05 PM)BlackCatzFan Wrote: People keep saying “Reich said he’s not showing our full play book”. Ya da ya da ya da…. I hope that’s not code for “we don’t know”…

(08-14-2023, 09:28 PM)Josh21 Wrote: Not at all impressed, at least it was the first preseason game.

U missed little but Bryce getting popped n bounce up thrice.

(08-15-2023, 05:40 AM)PantherFan007 Wrote: But the new Defense played like a solid defense.  The new Offense played like someone's friendly dog showing the robbers where the cash was kept.

(08-15-2023, 04:58 PM)Firstchance Wrote: First half, be glad you missed most of it, was the most horrid display of football I have ever seen, at any level.

WELL....  I AGREE with ALL of those comments up there (^^^)...  BUT, let's be honest here..... Did anyone really expect this game to go the Panthers way.??  I know I didn't. Seriously.

**NY Jets... For years they've been a laughing-stock of the NFL...HOWEVER, last year they had a TOP 5 Defense and a terrific D-Line. AND, they've been working (seriously working...) on their Offense.

**NY Jets... Even with Aaron Rodgers sitting out, the Jets have a LOT of fire because of HIM. They're looking forward in a BIG way.

**Panthers/Jets... One of two major practices CANCELED the week of the game. Panthers taking it too easy, No fire/drive this past week.
**Panthers... ALL NEW coaching staff. Very little continuity from last year.
**Panthers... ALL NEW Defense alignment. Who is playing WHERE.?? -- Yes, EXACTLY.
**Panthers... ALL NEW Offense. Musical Chairs and WHO, WHERE, and WHEN is calling plays.??  ***shrugs*** I wish I knew.
**Panthers... ALL NEW Playbooks -- Offense & Defense.
**Panthers... LOTS of NEW pieces throughout the Offense and Defense.

The Panthers O-Line was nowhere near the same as last year.  (Ekwonu and T-Mo played a few snaps (11), but Ekwonu was ineffective as a pass defender; Christenson recovering from a broken ankle...he's "cleared" but he's def not 100%; Corbett didn't play (ACL); all the rest of the O-Line guys bounced around like a jack rabbit in a forest fire.) You can't expect anything good to happen out of that mess..... Being strictly honest here, Ikem Ekwonu is a terrific run-blocker. He was terrible early last year as a pass-blocker. He gradually improved, BUT--you can't honestly say he's a 'wunderkind' at LT. He has lazy feet. Maybe he will continue to improve..??

Bryce Young is SO cute. He's like a new puppy. Running and yipping and chewing and peeing. Everyone anointing him as the "second coming". SMH..
He's young, and he's small. He's playing a man's game in a man's league. He's NOT in college any more. He is also smart and dedicated. Still, there's a LOT of growing up to do and quickly.

In three (3) series' he completes 4 of 6 passes for 21 yards. So...a 66% completion rate. Not terrible, not bad, sort of OK but not really good. 21 yds on 4 passes amounts to about 5 yds per.... In NO way is that good. Just barely acceptable -- IMHO. In three offensive series' he took a few 'hits' and one sack. He is holding the ball too long. Top QBs get rid of the ball in just over three seconds (average). I don't know what his 'official' times were, but according to my stopwatch it was quite a bit longer than that. HERE'S THE KICKER.... You can't blame his performance on the O-Line. YES, it was a mess. But nothing is ever exactly the way you want it. You have to play the hand you're dealt.

Now, Matt Corral.  Coming back from a season-ending Lisfranc injury. He didn't do very well either. But just being straight up here.... he did better than Young (statistically speaking..). Better completion %, and better YPC. He threw one INT, and took four sacks. Of course, he played a LOT more than Young and against a highly motivated Jets D-Line it was a tough slog. Our O-Line didn't help, but the main difference-makers didn't play enough to even count..

So, there's a lot to improve on. This whole "makeover" this year is 'suspect' at this point. So MANY changes and new aspects all happening at once. It's difficult to decide WHAT needs to be changed. Everyone knows the 'correct' way to make changes is in small bites. That way you can evaluate exactly what the changes accomplish. This "scattergun" approach leaves a lot to be desired.
This post was last modified: 08-16-2023, 11:20 AM by Hobbit99.
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,194 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-16-2023, 09:08 PM -
I hope for more, but we will see. They supposedly weren’t using shifts, or motions last week. Hinders an O! Hope they got what they wanted n open it up at least a lil. Motion at least, practice it!
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

08-17-2023, 12:32 AM -
(08-16-2023, 09:08 PM)Josh21 Wrote: I hope for more, but we will see.  They supposedly weren’t using shifts, or motions last week.  Hinders an O!  Hope they got what they wanted n open it up at least a lil.  Motion at least, practice it!

Hmmm ... I hadn't heard that. So, none of the more advanced play calling.?? That doesn't really surprise me though.  Reich mentioned that he wasn't going to "show" much of anything in the preseason. In his most recent "presser" (today.??), Reich mentioned that he wanted to get the Offense more 'involved'. Also wanted to get the "running game" going. Pretty hard to do that without "play-action".  I hope you're right, Josh. Need to put a little "reality" into this next game.

Quite a few guys 'banged up' last week too. Just noticed that one of our latest WR acquisitions (If you guessed Damiere Byrd, you'd be right..) has been sent off to IR. Supposed to be a "long-term hamstring injury" (Possible surgery..).. Season-ending IR designation because it happened before regular season began.  He COULD receive an "injury settlement" and move on from IR. That would allow him to sign with another team this year --- but NOT with the Panthers.  ( I HOPE I understand that correctly..).

PANTHERS.COM:  Panthers "Add Some" & "Lose Some".
This post was last modified: 08-17-2023, 12:58 AM by Hobbit99.
PantherFan007
Administrator

08-17-2023, 10:30 AM -
(08-17-2023, 12:32 AM)Hobbit99 Wrote:
(08-16-2023, 09:08 PM)Josh21 Wrote: I hope for more, but we will see.  They supposedly weren’t using shifts, or motions last week.  Hinders an O!  Hope they got what they wanted n open it up at least a lil.  Motion at least, practice it!

Hmmm ... I hadn't heard that. So, none of the more advanced play calling.?? That doesn't really surprise me though.  Reich mentioned that he wasn't going to "show" much of anything in the preseason. In his most recent "presser" (today.??), Reich mentioned that he wanted to get the Offense more 'involved'. Also wanted to get the "running game" going. Pretty hard to do that without "play-action".  I hope you're right, Josh. Need to put a little "reality" into this next game.

Quite a few guys 'banged up' last week too. Just noticed that one of our latest WR acquisitions (If you guessed Damiere Byrd, you'd be right..) has been sent off to IR. Supposed to be a "long-term hamstring injury" (Possible surgery..).. Season-ending IR designation because it happened before regular season began.  He COULD receive an "injury settlement" and move on from IR. That would allow him to sign with another team this year --- but NOT with the Panthers.  ( I HOPE I understand that correctly..).

They had said after the loss that most of it was "vanilla", with nothing elaborate put into the game plan.  My question was, did they forget to bring the game plan? lol
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

08-17-2023, 01:55 PM -
(08-17-2023, 10:30 AM)PantherFan007 Wrote:
(08-17-2023, 12:32 AM)Hobbit99 Wrote:

They had said after the loss that most of it was "vanilla", with nothing elaborate put into the game plan.  My question was, did they forget to bring the game plan? lol

Good Question....

Even a "good" vanilla can benefit from a decent topping.....   Wink