Started by PantherFan007

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

5 posts in this topic
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,157 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-26-2023, 04:16 PM -
The Panthers have cut eleven players following the third preseason loss vs the Lions.

Panthers waive 11 players Saturday

CHARLOTTE — The Panthers released 11 players Saturday, in advance of the moves due Tuesday to get to a 53-man roster.

The Panthers waived the following players: Quarterback Jake Luton, running back Camerun Peoples, wide receivers Gary Jennings and CJ Saunders, tackle Larnel Coleman, defensive lineman Antwuan Jackson, linebacker Bumper Pool, safeties Collin Duncan and Josh Thomas, cornerback Rejzohn Wright, and kicker Matthew Wright.

Those moves get the roster down to 79, meaning they have another 26 moves to make between now and Tuesday's 4 p.m. deadline to reach an initial 53-man roster.

During his press conference Saturday morning before the moves, Panthers head coach Frank Reich referred to the "difficult decisions" ahead.

"Literally every position has battles in place, not just for the roster, but you know, play time, who's starting, how we're looking at things," Reich said. "But the good news is they're hard decisions, right? Because we feel good about the guys we have on our roster."
This post was last modified: 08-26-2023, 04:18 PM by PantherFan007.
Firstchance

715 posts 81 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-27-2023, 09:13 PM -
On a side note, not worth a thread, PJ Walker cut by the Bears who eat 2 million.
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,157 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-28-2023, 05:30 AM -
(08-27-2023, 09:13 PM)Firstchance Wrote: On a side note, not worth a thread, PJ Walker cut by the Bears who eat 2 million.

Yeah, I saw that last night.  They said he didn't have a very good preseason.  I guess "styles build championships" rings somewhat true.  If you are not in the "right" scheme, you are not going to play your best football.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,764 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-29-2023, 01:46 PM -
Hmmm....

Of these 11 players to go under the knife, were there any surprises??  Any disappointments?? --- I'll go first..

No REAL surprises, but maybe just a little surprised about S Josh Thomas and K Matthew Wright. I sort of thought Wright might have stayed around because Pineiro is still recovering (sort of..). Last word was he (Pineiro) was still "limited". He's never had a terribly strong leg, but he has been amazingly accurate. Sure hope he's ready for the season.  And Josh Thomas seemed to be doing pretty good.... but apparently not.??"

Other than those two, I'll say that LB Bumper Pool was a "disappointment". Still have to laugh about this guy. His parents must have thought themselves to be really funny. Sure hope he catches on somewhere.

So, nothing REALLY surprising. Still, there were others who deserved early releases just as much or more.
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"
Firstchance

715 posts 81 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-29-2023, 01:58 PM -
Only sort of a surprise, something can still happen, is us having five TE’s. I don’t see that happening but it’s also not 4 yet.

And a disappointment was Spencer Brown, I thought he “earned” a spot more aim than Hubbard and Blackshear.

Oh yea. Deion Jones. Lol lol lol
This post was last modified: 08-29-2023, 02:42 PM by Firstchance.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,764 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-29-2023, 03:11 PM -
(08-29-2023, 01:58 PM)Firstchance Wrote: Only sort of a surprise, something can still happen, is us having five TE’s. I don’t see that happening but it’s also not 4 yet.

And a disappointment was Spencer Brown, I thought he “earned” a spot more aim than Hubbard and Blackshear.

Oh yea. Deion Jones. Lol lol lol

LOL...Yeah. I understand. The TE room is a bit of a quandary right now. As I mentioned in the other thread, I would like to trade Gio Ricci for Spencer Brown. But Ricci has value as a proven "Power" Back and as a ST player. When they Panthers put the "Jumbo" package on the field, short yardage, Red Zone, Goal Line, etc., Ricci will be in there as a ball carrier or as a blocker. He probably won't get any snaps as a TE. So the fact that he is "listed" as a TE.....means nothing. Brown is a better RB, but a blocker..???   ¿Quien sabe?  I would rather have Spencer Brown.

I am, however, a real fan of Blackshear. His gutsy KO returns say a lot about his athleticism and drive. I don't forget easily. Last year proved his utility as a returner and he has a LOT of speed and quickness. It's hard to fault that....and hard to downplay it as well. Chuba Hubbard has also had some good playing time.
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"