Started by PantherFan007

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

21 posts in this topic
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,158 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
09-04-2023, 03:07 PM -
You know, I'm not sure how I feel about this.  But, he is STILL under contract this year and is STILL being paid.  In my world, you don't get paid if you don't work, and if you don't work, you lose your job.   

Panthers' Brian Burns not practicing amid contract stalemate (msn.com)

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Two-time Pro Bowl selection Brian Burns sat out his second straight scheduled practice Monday, and there are no guarantees the Carolina Panthers outside linebacker will be on the field for Sunday's opener against the Atlanta Falcons if he doesn't have a new contract.

Coach Frank Reich, once again, called Burns choosing not to practice a "personal matter'' just as he did Thursday before the team took a three-day break.

But when asked what changed with Burns between Wednesday, when he did practice, and now, Reich said, "I'm not involved in the contract negotiations. At all. I have zero [input].''

Reich added that owner David Tepper and general manager Scott Fitterer asked for his "certain views'' on the situation, which he expressed.

"I'm just worried about getting my team ready to play Atlanta,'' Reich said. "Do I hope he is there? Absolutely, I hope he is there. If he's not there, I'm not worried about it. Just move forward."

Burns, 25, is scheduled to make $16 million this season after the Panthers picked up his fifth-year option as the 16th pick of the 2019 draft. He is seeking a long-term deal that will make him among the top paid edge rushers in the NFL.

He was at Bank of America Stadium for team meetings Monday, just as he was Thursday, making this more of a hold-in than a holdout. Approached during the media's open locker room session, Burns said, "I ain't got nothing to tell you.''

His decision not to participate in the last two practices came after he participated in all offseason workouts and training camp.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,769 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
09-04-2023, 08:37 PM -
You know, it really doesn't make sense for these players to "sit-out" or refuse to practice or play if they are under contract.  All it does is give the player a "black eye" with the team. Then everyone wonders "what good is a contract" if the players won't abide by it.  Makes you wonder.....

Then what happens next year when that player gets "franchise tagged"??  And the following year when he gets "tagged" again..??  It's an awfully risky move.
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,194 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
09-04-2023, 10:06 PM -
I really hope he’s waiting on the a Bosa
Deal to go down. If Burns still plays he’s got a head up imho.

(09-04-2023, 10:06 PM)Josh21 Wrote: I really hope he’s waiting on the a Bosa
Deal to go down.  If Burns still plays he’s got a head up imho.

I don’t think Bosa will.

He’s on his rookie deAl. He wants more. Give him an extension. Waiting on Bosa, think spidey should play though. Show up Bosa.
This post was last modified: 09-04-2023, 10:20 PM by Josh21.
PantherFan007
Administrator

09-05-2023, 06:02 AM -
Brian Burns is good. He is not what I believe is an "Elite" player. I know a LOT of people have named him to be, and he COULD be, but I just don't think he's the best DE in the NFL. Don't get me wrong, he's up there, he's the best on our TEAM, but dare I make a bet he'll have an "off" season this year after a contract is signed?
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

09-05-2023, 12:04 PM -
(09-05-2023, 06:02 AM)PantherFan007 Wrote: Brian Burns is good.  He is not what I believe is an "Elite" player.  I know a LOT of people have named him to be, and he COULD be, but I just don't think he's the best DE in the NFL.  Don't get me wrong, he's up there, he's the best on our TEAM, but dare I make a bet he'll have an "off" season this year after a contract is signed?

Good question..... I believe that Burns will have a DECENT season. He's been "above average" to "really good" every year on his rookie contract. No real reason to believe that he will regress too far.  But wait.... If I might be so bold as to ask a question......

Is there an underlying principle here that applies to this situation.??  Without being overly dramatic, or sounding too 'preachy', or diving too deeply into a rabbit hole, I would contend that we (as fans..) are missing the point here. Let me explain.

As fans, we have the tendency to line up in an ordered rank and file posture directly and firmly behind our favored players. Our favored players play NFL football for OUR TEAM. We stand behind our players and at the same time we OPPOSE the rest of our team.!!  We (the fans..) have drawn a line in the sand. Our players are on one side, and the rest of OUR TEAM is on the other side. We support the player and oppose the team.

1) Why do we automatically assume the player is right.??
  2) Why should the player get what he wants.??
  3) Why does a player deserve support while we act like the rest of the TEAM are enemies.??

I am interested in hearing your response.
Firstchance

716 posts 81 threads Joined: Dec 2019
09-05-2023, 03:47 PM -
It’s a team sport and by not participating he is effecting the team. Rules are rules was the way I grew up. Your collective bargaining agreement recognized that fifth year option, team picked it up… turn the page. Let your agent work on a new deal behind the scene and if it doesn’t work out, move the heck on. You have what 31 options. Let’s play ball, not the time for business, at least for the player, his people can handle that. But what do I know.
This post was last modified: 09-05-2023, 03:48 PM by Firstchance.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

09-05-2023, 07:52 PM -
(09-05-2023, 03:47 PM)Firstchance Wrote: It’s a team sport and by not participating he is effecting the team. Rules are rules was the way I grew up. Your collective bargaining agreement recognized that fifth year option, team picked it up… turn the page. Let your agent work on a new deal behind the scene and if it doesn’t work out, move the heck on. You have what 31 options. Let’s play ball, not the time for business, at least for the player, his people can handle that. But what do I know.

You, my friend, know plenty. I AGREE. Every point you made is 100% correct. There is no doubt that these players are hurting the team. If the player wants to REnegotiate his contract; demand more money; make the team bow to his demands; JUST SAY NO.  If he insists, he should be forced to play under a ONE YEAR contract and renegotiate it every year. No more 3,4, or 5 year guaranteed contracts. What he gets paid next year depends greatly on how well he plays this year.  One thing for certain..... a lot of players would bring a LOT of effort to the team (you know, IF they wanted to get paid again next year..).  No more Hundred Million dollar guaranteed payouts. No more "golden parachutes" waiting for a player so he can sit around, do almost nothing, and rake in the moolah. 

Pretty simple .... You have to PERFORM or you don't get paid.
Josh21
Posting Freak

09-05-2023, 09:56 PM -
Burns has performed. Bosa is not even with his team. Love Burns, don’t like him sitting out walkthroughs n practices. The guy he’s waiting on is close to missing season snaps. Hope Bryce n them say yes to playing, even on 5th yr option. Bosa will eventually get done.

Hope burns doesn’t sit out reg season reaps
This post was last modified: 09-05-2023, 10:27 PM by Josh21.
PantherFan007
Administrator

09-06-2023, 09:12 AM -
(09-05-2023, 03:47 PM)Firstchance Wrote: It’s a team sport and by not participating he is effecting the team. Rules are rules was the way I grew up. Your collective bargaining agreement recognized that fifth year option, team picked it up… turn the page. Let your agent work on a new deal behind the scene and if it doesn’t work out, move the heck on. You have what 31 options. Let’s play ball, not the time for business, at least for the player, his people can handle that. But what do I know.

I agree a hundred percent. Now the question has arisen here and there that the Panthers could trade him they don't reach an agreement.
Josh21
Posting Freak

09-06-2023, 06:59 PM -
Bosa signed. 5 year 170 mil 34 mil a year. Whoa. Lotta chedda. Hope this situation becomes over soon.
This post was last modified: 09-06-2023, 10:12 PM by Josh21.