Started by Hobbit99

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

18 posts in this topic
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,769 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
09-27-2023, 11:35 PM -
OK.... HERE WE GO.  I am going to give credit to Josh for this.  HE started it. And I AGREE that it needs to be discussed, largely because it affects our current dour outlook as we move forward deeper into the season.

***I want to know what all of us think about where we are, and where we are heading. What did you (really) think when we fired Wilkes and brought in a whole NEW Coaching Staff?? Are we going downhill, just holding on, or are we slowly fighting our way out of a box?? What about personnel? Is our roster close to "right" as far as numbers for each position.  AND (of course..) what were/are your expectations at the end of "Free Agency" and "The Draft".?? What about expectations NOW??***

Josh started it out in the other thread. I'll let him repost it here and amplify his thoughts. I have a mass of stuff floating around in my head about all of this.  I will get it sorted out RSN  (Real Soon Now..).

Keep it civil --- And try to stay within the boundaries of "reason". In other words, back up what you say with thoughtful discourse.... No hate-mongering (please.???).
Sick Cry Tongue Big Grin
This post was last modified: 10-06-2023, 10:22 AM by Hobbit99.
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,158 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
09-28-2023, 12:35 PM -
I hoped they would keep Wilks. I liked him. He was a good coach. I don't think the rest of our staff was very good, though.

This new staff? Coach Reich I have been rather "bleh..." about him since his hiring. He hasn't done much to change that opinion so far.

Our Offense has looked WEAK and very simple. I'm talking kick-ball simple. And that's not even talking about the injuries, lack of talent, and false starts. I'm just talking about our plays in general, or lack thereof.

I'm disgusted with what they are trying to do with Jeremy Chinn. It's ridiculous to have a player that talented, and you don't know how to use him.

Civil as civil could be :)
This post was last modified: 09-28-2023, 12:36 PM by PantherFan007.
Firstchance

716 posts 81 threads Joined: Dec 2019
09-28-2023, 04:36 PM -
Okay I will go against my grain and remain civil… with my honest thoughts.

First and foremost I am under the impression that this team is actually being ran and ruined unfortunately by Tepper. I do believe it was Tepper that wanted Young and Tepper that makes Reich play him. In his defense Tepper is also containing Frit and while he has made some decent decisions he has clearly and certainly made more bad decisions. Outside of Young, who I said last year we’ll be before the trade and the draft, would be a bust, I stand totally by that. Worse decision that we have ever made in the organization. And for Frit to just release Mayfield, no he was not happy but he was not a disruption was just not smart (stupid would have been uncivil).

I still love my Panthers but, we had a solid chance to have been competitive in two years, I think that is at least 4 now and if they keep hoping for young it could be anywhere for 5 to 10 years.

I have no problem with Reich, there are others I would have had but Reich is okay and I certainly feel an upgrade from Wilks.

Until Tepper steps back and just focuses on making money off other people’s money we will remain in this downturn. Once he steps away, really away and we get a legit GM then and only then will be be able to start an actual rebuild.

I know you guys will disagree agree and that fair. It is my honest opinion.
Firstchance

716 posts 81 threads Joined: Dec 2019
09-28-2023, 05:44 PM -
Should have said the Baker release probably cost us a draft pick…NOT that I wanted him. Oh heck no.
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,194 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
09-28-2023, 08:15 PM -
Got ya first

Here goes

Yesterday, 11:48 PM - Report post #8
I simply expect us to compete. N hard. All I ask this year. F-Ing fight! That’s it.
Love to win some, but a lot about development. Like mostly.
(Yesterday, 11:48 PM)Josh21 Wrote:
I simply expect us to compete. N hard. All I ask this year. F-Ing fight! That’s it.

Makes next year better. I don’t see it, but we could “sneak in” to the playoffs. I’d prefer a top pick…. Gotta hit on our 2nd rounder.

Here’s my splaining what I think. We are green. Not just age, but staff n players being around each other/new. We are fighting. That said, this is a developmental year. Play hard. Work. Build that chemistry. That’s what this is. If we gell half as much as we say we are we should see progress soon. Game reps matter. Team n coaches. They been doing this for months. 4 weeks almost now on the real stuff. The game.

I also said we we we every other word in a stretch. Found that odd…

(09-28-2023, 08:15 PM)Josh21 Wrote: Got ya first

Here goes

Yesterday, 11:48 PM - Report post #8
(Yesterday, 11:48 PM)Josh21 Wrote:
I simply expect us to compete.  N hard.  All I ask this year.  F-Ing fight!  That’s it.
Love to win some, but a lot about development.  Like mostly.

Makes next year better.  I don’t see it, but we could “sneak in” to the playoffs.  I’d prefer a top pick…. Gotta hit on our 2nd rounder.

Here’s my splaining what I think.  We are green.  Not just age, but staff n players being around each other/new.  We are fighting.  That said, this is a developmental year.  Play hard.  Work.  Build that chemistry.  That’s what this is.  If we gell half as much as we say we are we should see progress soon.  Game reps matter. Team n coaches.  They been doing this for months.  4 weeks almost now on the real stuff.  The game.

I also said we we we every other word in a stretch.  Found that odd…

No credit necessary hobbit.

I’m terrible at copyin n pasting
This post was last modified: 09-28-2023, 08:41 PM by Josh21.
Josh21
Posting Freak

09-29-2023, 11:46 PM -
Your turn hobbit.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

09-30-2023, 12:00 AM -
(09-29-2023, 11:46 PM)Josh21 Wrote: Your turn hobbit.

LOL.... I figured you would say that..!!!

Fblaugh
Josh21
Posting Freak

10-03-2023, 12:50 AM -
U got an extra game hobbit, what u think…
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

10-03-2023, 05:03 AM -
So, Josh called me out because I had not contributed to this thread.  And he was right to do so.  So, what do I think..???

Well, first things first. Note that I have set up a "signature line" at the bottom of my posts. It represents my core belief when it comes to discussing any topic that might be controversial. "A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind." To me, that means I have to think about what I'm saying. Exercise good judgement, and be willing and able to back up what I say with adult-style reasoning. That 'Tag Line' has stopped me from making a fool of myself many times, so I adhere to it....especially in a public forum.  That process has slowed my responses to this topic. I readily accept the fact that I could be wrong. I also acknowledge that I CAN and WILL change my mind, especially when someone shows me why I'm wrong. Do that, and I'll admit my error and gladly support your position.

So.... Here is what I think.

I think the Panthers are 'stagnating'. We are going nowhere fast. We are currently heading into a seething mass of mediocrity. That is not to say that we can't or won't change. Just that right now, the future doesn't look good. As a general outlook, I think that describes my feelings toward the Panthers potential this year. I've heard all of the "hopeful" stuff. But as my "grandpappy' used to tell me.... "Hope in one hand and crap in the other.... then see which one fills up first."

When Steve Wilks took over the team last year, I think that all of us believed that the season was in the crapper. And it was.... However, the team turned around and played inspired football for awhile. No big long winning streak, but it relieved the pain and suffering and gave us a little hope for this year. I was a little surprised when Wilks wasn't given the job. Not a LOT surprised, but a little surprised. So I was a somewhat ambivalent when it was announced that Frank Reich was going to be the new HC. I know Reich has some bonafides and knows a lot of the coaching personnel around the league, so after thinking it over, I was happy to give him my support. When some of the names of the coaching staff were announced, I was getting happier. No reason NOT to support this staff.  Well, NOW, after a few months of moderately revealing experiences, I have to admit that I am "not sure" about the choice.

Right now, I think we are just barely "holding on." Our record shows us "sliding" and that is the truth. It's also true that there have been a lot of coaching "errors" or let's call them "coaching 'growing pains'" that have contributed to the current situation. Those kinds of errors are readily 'fixed' if the staff will just acknowledge the errors and look for solutions. Coaching 'attitudes' leave a lot to be desired. The rest of the year could be more of the same or it MIGHT improve some. But, let's face it, it can't get any worse (statistically, W-L speaking..). One of my major gripes is ..... the tendency of the Coaches to constantly, and I mean CONSTANTLY, speak to the "process" and remark that "...we're playing the personnel that gives us the "best chance to win"."  That is a bunch of crap. THIS HC is totally wrapped up in HIS players. If they weren't his choice, they're either gone, practice squad, or demoted to lesser slots. This is just another example of nepotism showing it's ugly head. I'm tired of this crap.!!

Okay, so let's talk personnel.... This could make up an entire post by itself. I'll just touch on some generalities and then expand on it later (maybe..). Other than the coaching staff which I think might be a little suspect right now, let's move on. To begin, let's all imagine what it would be like to walk down the street shaking hands with people in "small-town" USA. Every family you meet, you hand them a check for a Million dollars. (I know, it's hard to imagine..). Well, in my town, you could cover the whole town and outlying towns too. After you've met and gifted a thousand families (that's maybe 3500 people.??), you start over and seek out another thousand families and repeat the process. Then you do it AGAIN and AGAIN..... Wait.. would you really be willing to give away that much money.??  Probably not..... Still, when you consider the Panthers, and the Charlotte FC and necessary expansion and reno, that represents the money David Tepper has invested here. I don't know the exact totals of course, but it has to be over 4 Billion dollars. That's Billion, with a "B". Four thousand 'millions' ..... that's a LOT of money. Now understand, Tepper does NOT have an "ownership" group. He did this by himself. All of it. Do you really believe that he is pushing the Panthers toward failure.??  REALLY.???
I would contend that he MIGHT be a little too involved. But when you're the MAN and you have no backup, I expect him to be involved. I cannot fault him for that.  I don't want to speak ill here of Jerry Richardson, but hear this..... I COULD.!! So, let's stop putting Richardson on a pedestal and denigrating Tepper. It's a fool's errand.

Okay... I'm stopping here.  There's more to be said, but I'll pick it up tomorrow (well, "tomorrow" is today, I guess..). So, more later.
Bag
This post was last modified: 10-03-2023, 05:07 AM by Hobbit99.
Josh21
Posting Freak

10-03-2023, 07:16 PM -
“Hopefully” fact, Panthers first team in a decade to go 0-4, n lead in all 4 games.