Who could, would or should we trade.
Started by Firstchance

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

20 posts in this topic
Firstchance

716 posts 81 threads Joined: Dec 2019
10-18-2023, 10:13 AM -
Well the only winless team in the NFL also doesn’t have a first round pick in the 2024 draft. In fact, we only have a total of six total selections. I’lol make a couple points and then do a little more research and of course come back with more opinions…I am full of opinions. Including that we should accept that we are in a COMPLETE rebuild with only one nfl caliber QB under contract for next year…. Which brings up, we don’t have Burns under contract for next year of Luvu either, who will bring some big bucks. Thoughts, ideas, suggestions!
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,769 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
10-18-2023, 12:16 PM -
Well, you mentioned my thoughts.

Off the top, I think IF we were to trade someone, I would prefer to see it be Burns. His attitude this year since the beginning has bordered on being overbearing. YES, he's good. No doubt. Still, I would contend that he is NOT a top 3 OLB or Edge guy. He wants (expects) to make a killing and get paid like a top 3 though. I don't know..... I can't see it. He's so intermittent, so hot-n-cold. I would place him realistically at the bottom of the top 10 maybe (IMHO).

Luvu would be a tremendous loss. I would HATE to see him leave. There might be a couple of others, but to what effect.?? Here's what I mean...

Why trade away a good 'known quantity' for an UNKNOWN draft pick.??  YES, I would like to have a 1st rounder next year and some more to follow. HOWEVER.... I am NOT one of those guys who believes that you should trade proven veteran talent for a college 'pretty boy'. Why get rid of a solid NFL proven veteran who is 27-28-29-30-31 years old in the prime of his career, just so you can draft a completely unknown, unproven frat-house dynamo.?? Nothing about that scenario makes sense to me.  Sorry.!!  It just doesn't make sense.

So, trade players who are underperforming. Trade anyone who is a "problem child".  Trade 'discipline' problems. Trade "ego-maniacs" who think their "sh*t doesn't stink". Trade anyone who wants/demands money that is way in excess of their value. But don't trade your 'high-value' good guys just so you can draft another "unknown". Gosh knows, we have a whole team full of "unknowns" already.!!!

Well, that's the view from here.  Tongue   I'll climb down from my 'soapbox' now. The rest of you have something to say, I'm sure.
Bag
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"
OceanPanther

108 posts 12 threads Joined: Mar 2020
10-18-2023, 12:37 PM -
Well. Johnny Hekker , Eddy Pineiro, JJ Hanson should have no trade clauses.

To get something of greater value than what you have is luck, a Turkey shoot, etc.
Giving up Burns , for example,, Say you get a first and a second and a third ( we probably won’t get that , but it’s pretend ) You then have to be able to draft a very good player, maybe even another defensive end ,, and hope the second and 3rd rounders pan out to be good players. ( I’m not saying the Panthers have done great with 2-3 round pics in the past )
J Chinn ( before the announcement of a quad injury today ) had potential trade value. But wherever we’ve put him throughout the life of his rookie contract, doesn’t have teams clamming for him.
We are snake bit with defensive backs.
I don’t see a lot on offense that other teams will want , where we get a good deal in return . Maybe trade all our tight ends ( yes, all of them ) for a Greg Olsen type player.

I’m of the belief that we need to build the offense line first. Pass protection, and the ability to open holes for a running back . If the QB doesn’t have time, and a running game,, we’ll suffer
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,769 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
10-18-2023, 01:20 PM -
(10-18-2023, 12:37 PM)OceanPanther Wrote: Well.  Johnny Hekker , Eddy Pineiro, JJ Hanson should have no trade clauses. ......

I’m of the belief that we need to build the offense line first.  Pass protection, and the ability to open holes for a running back . If the QB doesn’t have time, and a running game,, we’ll suffer

You make some good points here...

I am of the opinion that we HAD a VERY decent O-Line last year. We didn't lose it over a few weeks. Terribly unfortunate circumstances brought us to where we are today. If (when) we get Corbett back and we get Christensen back, we'll have the nucleus of a fine O-Line. T-Mo has not missed a game yet and is high quality. Boze is a quality Center and a team favorite. And Ekwonu is ........ Oh, wait a minute......... shoot never mind.

Seriously, a very decent O-Line. Ekwonu is a terrific run-blocker. Not so mush as a Pass-blocker. He has "lazy feet" and I don't know if he will ever improve to the point where he will be "above-average" as a pass-blocker.  Still, we need to give him at least one more year. He's only a 2nd year "rookie" and he's playing a tough position...  He is a perfect example of why 1st round draft picks are not necessarily "all that". He's big, powerful, and he was highly ranked at the draft ---- And yet, he struggles. Not at all unusual. Rookies are just not ready for the NFL game.
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"
Firstchance

10-18-2023, 01:49 PM -
Just to clarify. My suggestion is not to trade Burns or Luvu for something better… won’t ever happen. At least not immediately.

But I simply mentioned those two because… well, are we committed to sign them? I mean committed. Of course would they sign might be an issue as well. But if we are not committed to what it is going to take, yes, I would rather have picks verses the alternative which is nothing ( maybe, more than likely compensatory picks)..

That puzzle has to be put together by a sharp, forward thinking gm. Which has to be considering that yes we are rebuilding…what’s my best course of action.
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,158 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
10-19-2023, 09:56 AM -
I would trade Dave Tepper for a box of crackers and a pint of Gin, and I don't even like Gin.  Big Grin
This post was last modified: 10-19-2023, 09:59 AM by PantherFan007.
Firstchance

10-19-2023, 05:29 PM -
Okay then. What could we expect to get from TMJ? He wants out and is probably the 3rd highest value tradeable ( that is not really a word). I’m thinking we would be lucky to get a sixth rounder?

After reviewing the roster only Burns and Luvu could bring any significant return, imo. It’s a rebuild a complete rebuild, and I don’t think will be back. I’m thinking get decent value and not wait on a compensatory selection.

Things are not good in Pantherville and the hope on the horizon is limited in my eyes. I know it’s a crap shoot but we have to rebuild through the draft and can’t afford to waste anymore picks as we did with Young. Sorry just being a realist.
Ladypanther

481 posts 77 threads Joined: Oct 2023
10-19-2023, 06:43 PM -
(10-19-2023, 09:56 AM)PantherFan007 Wrote: I would trade Dave Tepper for a box of crackers and a pint of Gin, and I don't even like Gin.  Big Grin

AMEN!!!!!

(10-19-2023, 05:29 PM)Firstchance Wrote: Okay then. What could we expect to get from TMJ? He wants out and is probably the 3rd highest value tradeable ( that is not really a word). I’m thinking we would be lucky to get a sixth rounder?

Don't know if this has been posted but TMJ has been given permission to seek a trade. Maybe he can convince some team he is worth more.  the Observer says that the Chiefs, Jets, and Colts could be possible landing spots.
This post was last modified: 10-19-2023, 06:48 PM by Ladypanther.
Firstchance

10-21-2023, 05:01 PM -
TMJ and what for Jerry Jeudy?
BlackCatzFan

370 posts 43 threads Joined: Dec 2019
10-22-2023, 09:31 PM -
(10-21-2023, 05:01 PM)Firstchance Wrote: TMJ and what for Jerry Jeudy?

Why jeudy?  He doesn’t do anything, ever, and that’s before Smitty called him out.