• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

38 posts in this topic
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,698 posts 497 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-18-2024, 10:05 PM -
(03-16-2024, 08:18 AM)Ladypanther Wrote: From the word of the day email:

Epigraph

1. An inscription on a building, statue, or coin.
2. A short quotation or saying at the beginning of a book or chapter, intended to suggest its theme.

EXAMPLE SENTENCES

"The epigraph of my first book is a clever quote from Dorothy Parker."

"I didn't recognize the man in the statue, but the epigraph said he was the city's first mayor."

"The brief epigraph at the beginning of the book of poetry described the author's love of the wilderness."

"Epigraph" is an interesting word.  In modern day usage it is frequently substituted for with words like "inscription" or "quotation" in books and "dedication" on buildings. I really dislike this trend to over-simplify everything. I much prefer the correct usage as you outlined. Epigraph is a word that should be treasured and used, not thrown on the trash-heap of American English in an ill-advised attempt at universal usage.

Good word,  LP
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

03-20-2024, 08:22 PM -
WORD OF THE DAY...

dipsomaniac = Noun:  One who suffers from an irresistible and insatiable craving for intoxicants;  One with a morbid craving for alcohol; An alcoholic; A persistently drunken person; A drunkard.
Etymology: Unknown

oriflamme = Noun: An inspiring standard or symbol; The red or orange-red flag of the Abbey of Saint Denis in France, used as a standard by the early kings of France. Noun: A banderole of two or three points attached to a lance.  Noun: (heraldry). A blue flag or banner charged with three golden fleur-de-lis. Noun: (figurative). Any banner, idea, or principle that serves as a rallying point for those involved in a struggle.
Etymology:  Middle English oriflamble. From Old French, variant of oriflambe. Possible from Medieval Latin auriflamma (golden flame).
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

03-25-2024, 08:56 PM -
WORD OF THE DAY...

Another word from a recent book. This one had me completely stumped.  i had to look it up to even have the smallest inkling of what it was or how to use it.  

ululate = Verb (intransitive):  To howl, wail, or lament loudly;  rapid, alternating high-pitched sounds. verb: To howl as a dog or a wolf; to wail. verb: To produce a rapid and prolonged series of sharp noises with one's voice.
Etymology:  Latin fr. ululäre, ululät; of imitative origin

From How Not To Live Your Life by Rich Nash

tintinnabulation = Noun: The ringing sound of a bell or bells; A tinkling sound, as of a bell or breaking glass.
Etymology:  Latin. Fr. tintinnabulum, fr. tintinō, a reduplicated form of tinniō.

From The Bad Weather Friend  by Dean Koontz
This post was last modified: 03-25-2024, 08:56 PM by Hobbit99.
Ladypanther

452 posts 71 threads Joined: Oct 2023
04-13-2024, 09:43 AM -
Not exactly new but an interesting word.  And fun one to say:
[Image: Kerfuffle_main.png]
1. A commotion or fuss, especially one caused by conflicting views.

EXAMPLE SENTENCES

"When the fight broke out, I lost my watch in the ensuing kerfuffle."
"The boys' disagreement over prom dates caused a kerfuffle in the high school cafeteria."
 "An argument over the outcome of the baseball game led to a small kerfuffle in the parking lot."
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

04-13-2024, 03:07 PM -
YES..!!

And it's such a pretty word too.  And  B I G.   It's like a party waiting for a place to happen.   CoolDance

Tongue Joker Big Grin
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

04-14-2024, 08:22 AM -
WORD OF THE DAY...

This first word is a little strange.... NOT the same as "dealing with adversity" or  "cutting materials in a shape similar to a talon or beak".  Instead this one speaks to a period of time when things were much less modern.

cope = Noun: (Ecclesiastical)  A vestment or cloak worn by priests or bishops; A large mantle of (usually) silk, reaching from the shoulders to the feet, open in front, held with a band or clasp at the top.  Noun: (Architectural)  A bend over the top, as an arch or a vault. Anything spread or extended overhead, an arch or concavity in the roof or over a door.
Etymology: Latin capa (cape); Medieval Latin cåpa (cloak); Late Latin cappa

From The Bad Weather Friend by Dean Koontz

pule = Noun: A soft or melancholy whine or crying sound of dissatisfaction. A peep or cheep made by a chick. A soft querulous sound by a complaining child.  Verb: The act of making a soft, querulous sound. To whimper or to whine.
Etymology: Imitative origin.  Poss. fr. French piauler.

From The Bad Weather Friend by Dean Koontz
This post was last modified: 04-14-2024, 08:23 AM by Hobbit99.
Ladypanther

452 posts 71 threads Joined: Oct 2023
04-17-2024, 07:54 AM -
Diaphanous

(Especially of fabric) Light, delicate, and translucent.

EXAMPLE SENTENCES
“She looked like a goddess on a cliff as the sunset shone through her diaphanous wedding gown.”

“The diaphanous threads of the delicate fabric seemed to be made of actual stardust.”

“I want to get rid of these light-blocking curtains and replace them with something more diaphanous and airy.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

04-24-2024, 06:32 AM -
WORD OF THE DAY...

rebarbative = Adjective: tending to be unpleasant, unattractive, repellent - particularly with respect to people you don't like.; Tending to irritate; Used with intent to repel; Frequently describes language or attitude.
Etymology: From French rébarbatif, rébarbative ("repellent”, “disagreeable"), from Middle French rebarber ("to oppose”, “to stand up to") (from Old French re- + barbe ("barb”, “beard") (from Latin barba ("beard")) ≅ literally, “to stand beard to beard against”) + -atif ("-ative").

Here's another interesting word. Fairly common usage, but still odd enough to add to your vocabulary.

proselytize = Verb (Intransitive): To attempt to persuade someone to join one's own political party or to espouse one's doctrine; To convert (a person) from one belief, doctrine, cause, or faith to another; To convert to some religion, system, opinion, or the like; to bring, or cause to come, over; to proselyte; To preach, implore, conflate; Soapbox; Bully pulpit.
Etymology: Unsure.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

04-30-2024, 05:01 PM -
WORD OF THE DAY...

fugacious = Adjective: fleeting; lasting but a short time; volatile; fading quickly; transient.  Applied particularly to organs or parts which are short-lived as compared with the life of the individual.
Etymology: From Latin fugācius, comparative of fugāciter ("evasively, fleetingly"), from fugāx ("transitory, fleeting"), from fugiō ("I flee"). [From Latin fugāx, fugāc-, from fugere, to flee.]

tenebrous = Adjective: dark and gloomy; dark; gloomy; dusky; tenebrious.  
Etymology: [Middle English, from Old French tenebreus, from Latin tenebrōsus, from tenebrae, darkness.];  Anglo-Norman tenebrous (earlier tenebrus) from Latin tenebrōsus, itself from tenebrae ("darkness, shadows").