Rivera fires coaches
Started by Ladypanther

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

3 posts in this topic
Ladypanther

451 posts 71 threads Joined: Oct 2023
11-24-2023, 01:54 PM -
A day after the Washington Commanders’ defense gave up 431 yards and 45 points in a loss to the Dallas Cowboys, Coach Ron Rivera fired defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio and defensive backs coach Brent Vieselmeyer. Rivera will call the defense for the remaining five games of the season, according to two people with knowledge of the change.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/20...ommanders/

Looks like a desperate long shot move to attempt to save his job. Good luck with that Ron.
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,099 posts 690 threads Joined: Dec 2019
11-24-2023, 02:02 PM -
Wow! I have had a feeling that Coach Rivera was feeling the heat of the seat, but this seems kind of a last act of desperation. If their Defense doesn't improve with RR at the helm, he will be gone as well
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,698 posts 497 threads Joined: Dec 2019
11-25-2023, 11:26 AM -
I've always liked Ron Rivera. I guess it was because he accomplished some "stuff" with the Panthers. And because he seemed to be respected in the locker room.  JIC some folks weren't aware, Rivera was the "best" HC the Panthers ever had.  Especially if you justify that statement by examining his W-L record.  While at the Panthers for 9 years, his record was ---

Quote:pro-football-history.com: Carolina Panthers Head Coach History

Ron Rivera
Rivera was the head coach for the Carolina Panthers in the 2011-2019 seasons, a total of nine years. Rivera's record as the team's head coach was 76-63-1, making him the most successful head coach in Carolina Panthers history. The team made it to the playoffs four times (2013-2015, 2017) and had a 3-4 record under Coach Rivera in playoff games. In 2015, the Carolina Panthers faced off against the Denver Broncos in Super Bowl L. The Panthers lost, 10-24.

Recently, Rivera has had some 'strange' happenings up in Washington. Not saying he didn't have a hand in it all, just that some circumstances defy description (and understanding...).

Quote:MSN.com:  Washington Football on FanNation

“Entering today, NFL teams were a combined 57-0 over the last 25 regular seasons when having a game with: 100+ rushing yards, 250+ passing yards, 35:00+ TOP (time of possession), no more than 25 penalty yards, no more than 1 turnover,” OptaSTATS says. “The Commanders did all that today and lost by 35.”

In Week 11 the Washington defense came up with nine sacks and lost by more than 10 points to quarterback Tommy DeVito and the New York Giants.

"On any given day....."  You just have to play every game. There is no way of knowing....
This post was last modified: 11-25-2023, 11:31 AM by Hobbit99.
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"
Ladypanther

451 posts 71 threads Joined: Oct 2023
11-25-2023, 04:51 PM -
(By the way...my format is messed up again. Cleared cache and now cannot get off of Lite Mode...anyone who can help please email me at ncpotter@gmail.com)

I too like Ron. He is a very good human being and his players seem to love him. I have always said he needed a good and strong GM. Instead he got Hurney. All you need to know about Tepper's football IQ is that he fired Rivera and kept Hurney.

Then Ron goes to Washington. Snyder hoped Ron could wash some of his stink off so he gave him full control. Everyone reports to Ron. Ron has the final say. Ron is not good with personnel decisions...what did he do? He hired his friend Hurney.

Washington's new owners have got to blow up the front office. Wonder of Ron will want to get a DC job? Ron is on year 4 of a five year contract with an annual salsry of $8.5 mill. He will be 62 in Jan.
This post was last modified: 11-25-2023, 04:52 PM by Ladypanther.