PATRIOTS - BILL BELICHICK & TOM BRADY - WAS IT THE "HANDCUFF" THAT MADE THEM SO GOOD
Started by Hobbit99

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

3 posts in this topic
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,698 posts 497 threads Joined: Dec 2019
12-13-2023, 10:59 AM -
Word On The Street...

Robert Kraft has reportedly had enough of the Bill Belichick experiment.  Of course, that is a VERY simplistic statement (MY statement, BTW..). Whether or not you believe it, two things are patently obvious. Belichick does not command the respect he once did. And the Patriots are not anywhere near the same team they once were, back in the Brady era. Was it Belichick's HC persona? Or was it Brady's GOAT QB play??  You will have to decide that for yourself.

Whatever you think or feel about the Patriots (and by default, Belichick..), the fact remains that the franchise, once a perennial playoff and MULTI Super Bowl winning team, has fallen on hard times. Their descent into mediocrity and a further downward spiral started when Brady 'jumped ship'. Since then they have been nothing but a shell of their previous self.

Now, it appears that Robert Kraft has decided to "end the pain" and put Belichick out to pasture. As of today, the Patriots are the only 'other team' (Panthers) that have been mathematically eliminated this year.

Quote:M Marca
End of the Bill Belichick era: Patriots reportedly decided not to continue with the legendary head coach
Story by Lw
7h

The owner of New England, Robert Kraft, would be seeking a successor for the 2024 season.

The second-winningest head coach in NFL history and the most successful in terms of Super Bowls may be close to concluding what many consider the most successful era in the history of this professional sport. It appears that head coach Bill Belichick is in the final games of his tenure with the New England Patriots.

According to information from Tom E. Curran of NBC Sports Boston, the owner of the six-time Vince Lombardi Trophy-winning franchise, Robert Kraft, has already decided to seek a new coach after the end of this regular season. The Patriots, along with the Carolina Panthers, are the only two teams mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. Thus, the famous 'Monk' would only have to complete the remaining four games of the regular season for the Foxboro team.

"When they came back from the loss in Germany, the conversations I had that week made it very clear that a decision had been made," Curran said on his network's 'Arbella Early Edition' program. "They were going to move forward with the situation, and at the end of the year, there would be a parting for various reasons."

Much has been questioned about Belichick's effectiveness after quarterback Tom Brady left the Boston suburban franchise. The legendary quarterback departed after the 2019 season, and in the four years without him, they have only had one winning season, which was also the only one in which they made it to the postseason.

In terms of all-time records, Belichick is the second-winningest head coach, including postseason victories (332), only behind Don Shula (347). He is third in regular-season victories (301), behind Shula (328) and George Halas (318).

Currently, the Patriots have a record of 3-10 at the bottom of the AFC East. To close the season, New England will play at home against the Kansas City Chiefs (December 17), away against the Denver Broncos (December 24), hit the road again to face the Buffalo Bills (December 31), and Belichick will bid farewell on January 7, 2024, when they host the New York Jets at Gillette Stadium.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/end...ea40&ei=43
This post was last modified: 12-13-2023, 01:09 PM by Hobbit99.
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,099 posts 690 threads Joined: Dec 2019
12-13-2023, 11:33 AM -
I believe a LOT of it should be credited to Tom Brady. That having been said, Brady cannot make the receivers run the right routes, catch the football, make the o-line block defenders, etc. Bellichick gets a huge portion of the credit.

I'd take him as a head coach right off the bat. I'm sure Tepper has already started making phone calls, but I don't know if BB would even consider coming to Carolina.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

12-13-2023, 01:16 PM -
(12-13-2023, 11:33 AM)PantherFan007 Wrote: I believe a LOT of it should be credited to Tom Brady.  That having been said, Brady cannot make the receivers run the right routes, catch the football, make the o-line block defenders, etc.  Bellichick gets a huge portion of the credit.

I'd take him as a head coach right off the bat.  I'm sure Tepper has already started making phone calls, but I don't know if BB would even consider coming to Carolina.

That IS an interesting question.  I too would take Belichick. He is a no-nonsense kind of guy. Just as 'hard' and 'demanding' as he has to be. One question would need to be answered though (other than the one you mentioned about his "willingness" to come here..). That other question is about his age. Would he have the 'stamina' to start and develop a team.???  I'm not certain that we could count on him for more than a year or two --- or maybe just one year at a time.??  How would that work.??  Wouldn't be an ideal situation, that's for certain.

Since we're speculating --- I would also take Jim Harbaugh. If Michigan had their fill and he wanted the challenge. Harbaugh has experience and a lot of success in the NFL.  His record as HC in the NFL is 49-22-1 including playoff totals.  He doesn't take any crap and would likely set a hard, no-nonsense tone.  His coaching record, including college, is truly exceptional. I think we could count on him to set things right...

OH -- I think you're right about Belichick and Brady.  It was a very adventitious pairing.
This post was last modified: 12-13-2023, 01:42 PM by Hobbit99.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

12-16-2023, 11:34 PM -
(12-13-2023, 01:16 PM)Hobbit99 Wrote:
(12-13-2023, 11:33 AM)PantherFan007 Wrote: I believe a LOT of it should be credited to Tom Brady.  That having been said, Brady cannot make the receivers run the right routes, catch the football, make the o-line block defenders, etc.  Bellichick gets a huge portion of the credit.

OH -- I think you're right about Belichick and Brady.  It was a very adventitious pairing.

Well, POOP..!!
I just realized, THAT word ^^^ should be in the "Word Of The Day" thread.  (adventitious).  Maybe I'll add it to that thread...   Huh

This post was last modified: 12-16-2023, 11:39 PM by Hobbit99.