Started by BlackCatzFan

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

19 posts in this topic
BlackCatzFan

370 posts 43 threads Joined: Dec 2019
01-25-2024, 12:29 PM -
Dave Canales, OC from the Buccaneers. 

I’m not thrilled, I’m not disappointed.  I’m just holding all judgement until after year 1.  

Of
Firstchance

716 posts 81 threads Joined: Dec 2019
01-25-2024, 12:42 PM -
I’m with BCF… want to like it, think I like it, not sure I like it, no choice but to like it.

What does Nicole think? That is key here.

(01-25-2024, 12:42 PM)Firstchance Wrote: I’m with BCF… want to like it, think I like it, not sure I like it, no choice but to like it.

What does Nicole think? That is key here.

So afraid they thought just because he made somewhat of a success out of Mayfield he could do that with Bryce! That my friends is not happening, ever.
This post was last modified: 01-25-2024, 12:45 PM by Firstchance.
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,158 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
01-25-2024, 01:28 PM -
https://www.nfl.com/news/panthers-expect...uYV9h14U4w

I wish him the best. As always.
This post was last modified: 01-25-2024, 01:28 PM by PantherFan007.
PantherFan007
Administrator

01-25-2024, 01:30 PM -
I just heard there is a personal connection between Canales and Dan Morgan from their time together in Seattle.  If Dan Morgan picked him, I'm okay with it.  For now.

Ah!  He is also personal friends with Pete Carroll.  Wonder if Canales could talk Carroll into leaving Seattle from his (ahem..) "Advisory role"?  Whistling

https://www.si.com/nfl/panthers/news/mak...n-carolina
This post was last modified: 01-25-2024, 01:33 PM by PantherFan007.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,769 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
01-25-2024, 02:26 PM -
WELL......

I don't know...

There are two things that concern me here. Canales jumping from QB Coach to Panthers Head Coach in one year is the first one.  That's right, one year. In 2022, Canales was QB Coach for Seattle. In 2023, he was OC for the Bucs. Now, one year after leaving his QB Coach job, he is supposed to be HC material.???  I just don't know.  Am I the only one concerned about this.???

And the second important thing -- THIS ^^^ is not necessarily a "done deal". Several things stand out. All the information out there (that I have seen) is quoting one source... Ian Rapoport... And Rapoport did NOT say he was hired. He said...

Quote:After firing their head coach in each of the last two seasons, the Carolina Panthers are certainly hoping that their next hire will last longer.
According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, that will be Dave Canales, who is "closing in" on a deal to become the Panthers' next head coach.
Canales, 42, spent the 2023 season as the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' offensive coordinator, marking the first time he served as a coordinator beyond the high school level.

Quote:The new leader of the Carolina Panthers won't even have to leave the division to start his new job.
Carolina is expected to hire Buccaneers offensive coordinator Dave Canales as its new head coach, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported on Thursday.

Canales' move from Tampa, Fla., to Charlotte, N.C., caps a meteoric rise in just a calendar year, a 12-month span in which he jumped from Seahawks quarterbacks coach to Buccaneers OC, and now, to head coach of a Panthers team in need of direction.

An NFL "league source" said there were lots of details to be worked out. It was not a completed thing....

AND this:  With at least one more live, in-person interview already scheduled for today (Mike Vrabel), it would make sense that the Panthers had NOT completed the process -- YET.

Canales might in fact be the choice. But until I see a confirmed announcement, I'm not jumping on this 'hype train'.
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"
PantherFan007
Administrator

01-25-2024, 05:28 PM -
You know, Hobbit, sir, I was thinking the same thing about "no experience", but if you know football and can call plays and you can communicate with players, you can coach. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt for now. I'm hopeful that this "new approach" reaps benefits.

Oh yes, and has anyone else thought about the blow we are doing to the Bucs? Their fans are falling off the deep end lol
PantherFan007
Administrator

01-25-2024, 05:29 PM -
Oh and yes, although it isn't "Official" yet, it's on NFL.com:

https://www.nfl.com/news/panthers-expect...head-coach
Firstchance

716 posts 81 threads Joined: Dec 2019
01-25-2024, 06:12 PM -
BB still available! Morris seems to be the Falcons selection.

I know it is Canales and I know everyone hates BB, myself as well, he is probably the greatest coach ever and I think just what a Tepper and his wife needs as a head coach. Think Dan would enjoy it also. Now I will shut up.
Ladypanther

481 posts 77 threads Joined: Oct 2023
01-25-2024, 07:07 PM -
Like most so far my thoughts are mixed.

First of all I am hoping for the best.  If Evero stays the defense is good. If Canales is the real deal the Panthers could have a dynamic group of talented  young men running things.

My concerns...as has been mentioned numerous times, he has been a coordinator for only 1 year.  Before Tampa, he was with the same team for 13 years. Just wondering why Seattle did not give him any consideration?  That is curious to me.  Also, the Panthers were the only team that gave him an interview. ??

Positives...both Geno Smith and Baker had career years with him.  Geno won comeback player of the year.  Russell Wilson has not looked the same since he left Seattle,

Dan knows him very well. Here's hoping Dan's assessment of him is right.

In Seattle he has coached both receivers and QB's.

I have to say, in the playoffs Baker did not look like the same QB we had in Carolina.

I would think Evero and Tabor stay.  Canales can focus on his offensive staff.  Hope it is a good one.
This post was last modified: 01-25-2024, 07:36 PM by Ladypanther.
PantherFan007
Administrator

01-25-2024, 08:09 PM -
(01-25-2024, 06:12 PM)Firstchance Wrote: BB still available! Morris seems to be the Falcons selection.

I know it is Canales and I know everyone hates BB, myself as well, he is probably the greatest coach ever and I think just what a Tepper and his wife needs as a head coach. Think Dan would enjoy it also. Now I will shut up.

If by BB, you mean Bill Belichick, I just read where Arthur Blanks wanted to hire him, but Wild Bill wanted the "keys to the kingdom" and Blanks wanted his as HC and nothing more than that.  Belichick was not agreeable with that, either.