A Brian Burns saga
Started by Firstchance

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

15 posts in this topic
Firstchance

715 posts 81 threads Joined: Dec 2019
02-19-2024, 01:19 PM -
As you all might recall I wanted to trade him last year. ( well actually the year prior when we were offered the world and still rebuilding ).

So how does this play out? We only have around 28 million in cap space, his number will probably be around 22 and then we have to sign draft picks… of course there is no telling if and most importantly WHEN he signs his tagged offer, sure not until a trade is worked out to his liking… all of which ties our hands and just another reason to have u loaded last year. Plus we still need to sign Luvu…what or what to we do great ones?

Maybe I am seeing this all wrong?
Ladypanther

481 posts 77 threads Joined: Oct 2023
02-19-2024, 03:56 PM -
My guess is we tag then trade him for what we can get. He has shown us flashes of greatness but then seems to disappear.  Plus, my guess he is in Morgan's doghouse for mailing it in last year.

I am occasionally wrong though. Will be interesting to finally see this play out.
Firstchance

02-19-2024, 07:46 PM -
(02-19-2024, 03:56 PM)Ladypanther Wrote: My guess is we tag then trade him for what we can get. He has shown us flashes of greatness but then seems to disappear.  Plus, my guess he is in Morgan's doghouse for mailing it in last year.

I am occasionally wrong though. Will be interesting to finally see this play out.

I agree LP but the bigger question will be when, how long will our hands be tied and what all will we miss out on waiting for this the even take place. We can’t spend the money needed to sign him even if he is going to be traded. It’s like frozen money which works in he favor, imo. Terrible terrible terrible decision by the former regime.
Ladypanther

02-19-2024, 09:39 PM -
(02-19-2024, 07:46 PM)Firstchance Wrote:
(02-19-2024, 03:56 PM)Ladypanther Wrote: My guess is we tag then trade him for what we can get. He has shown us flashes of greatness but then seems to disappear.  Plus, my guess he is in Morgan's doghouse for mailing it in last year.

I agree LP but the bigger question will be when, how long will our hands be tied and what all will we miss out on waiting for this the even take place. We can’t spend the money needed to sign him even if he is going to be traded. It’s like frozen money which works in he favor, imo. Terrible terrible terrible decision by the former regime.

Well...we can't just let him walk.  Some kind of deal will get done.  Teams want to get things settled before free agency options are done and before the draft.
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,192 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
02-19-2024, 11:44 PM -
Only prob with trading burns, we will need 2 new pass rushers, along with a couple wr, some ol depth., some dl, n a cb or two. Oh ilb too. Unless Burns fetches 2 1sts n a player, I don’t see it happening. MHO

Admitting to playing “scared to get hurt”, sucks.
This post was last modified: 02-19-2024, 11:46 PM by Josh21.
BlackCatzFan

370 posts 43 threads Joined: Dec 2019
02-20-2024, 09:52 AM -
My guess, Luvu walks, burns is tagged.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,764 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
02-20-2024, 10:45 AM -
As I've said multiple times over the past season ..... Burns is wanting to be paid like a Top-5 End-Edge guy. That is what all the stink was about last year. The problem is --- Burns is NOT a Top-5 player.  Yes, he is GOOD. Yes, we do need him, OR someone like him. What we don't need is to way overspend on a player (any player) who has acknowledged that he played last year with very little incentive, and could have done much better.  Why, WHY would we want to reward this guy after last year.???

My thinking is "Tag him and trade him" as I've mentioned here several times. Advantages accrue to us like this: We don't have to pay an exorbitant salary to a player who admits he "slacks off". We recapture cap monies for this year (probably -- depending on terms of the trade). We gain players or draft picks.

When would it happen..???  ¿Quien sabe?  It might NOT happen.  Burns could refuse to sign the tag (remember Josh Norman..??) and  he would then have to sit out a complete season...(MAYBE - depending on which 'tag' was used..).  Not likely, but still.....
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"
Firstchance

02-20-2024, 08:37 PM -
I totally agree Hiobs. My concern is more him dragging rhis out and we can perform
Other needs because we have to have funds available for the tag and trade. Seems I read we have like 28 million, 22 for burns, a couple for the draft… doesn’t leave much for Luvu or others. I think we need to do this quickly but Burns holds the cards. This stinks.
Ladypanther

02-20-2024, 09:55 PM -
(02-20-2024, 08:37 PM)Firstchance Wrote: I totally agree Hiobs. My concern is more him dragging rhis out and we can perform
Other needs because we have to have funds available for the tag and trade. Seems I read we have like 28 million, 22 for burns, a couple for the draft… doesn’t leave much for Luvu or others. I think we need to do this  quickly but Burns holds the cards. This stinks.

There will be some cuts and restructures to create some more cap.  

There is also this:

The Carolina Panthers and star edge-rusher Brian Burns "never got close" in previous contract negotiations, according to ESPN's David Newton.

Newton reported Burns was angling to get nearly $30 million annually during those discussions. That would put him near the top of the list of highest-paid edge defenders. The San Francisco 49ers' Nick Bosa leads the way at $34 million, and the Pittsburgh Steelers' T.J. Watt is next at $28 million.

"I feel like I earned that before this season,'' Burns said entering that group, per Newton. "Given our circumstances, it is what it is. But my feeling never changed from that point to now, because I put the work in for years prior to this."

The case with the two-time Pro Bowler is a little less straightforward, though.

Bosa was the reigning Defensive Player of the Year and led the NFL in sacks before signing his extension. Watt had 49.5 sacks and two All-Pro nods through his first four seasons before he penned his new deal. The Los Angeles Chargers' Joey Bosa and Cleveland Browns' Myles Garrett both reset the market in 2020 after having multiple seasons double-digit sacks.

Burns hasn't compiled the same kind of résumé so far.

Still, Spotrac valued him at $21.7 million per year, pointing to how his production hasn't matched that of the Bosas, Garrett and Watt before they signed.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1011...ed-30m-aav

I am still hoping some team will be willing to trade something for him. They can easily blame bad Panther coaching for his lack of production.  Maybe a change of scenery will be good for him. Dan is going to do what is best for this team.
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,192 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
02-21-2024, 12:15 AM -
(02-20-2024, 09:55 PM)Ladypanther Wrote:
(02-20-2024, 08:37 PM)Firstchance Wrote: I totally agree Hiobs. My concern is more him dragging rhis out and we can perform
Other needs because we have to have funds available for the tag and trade. Seems I read we have like 28 million, 22 for burns, a couple for the draft… doesn’t leave much for Luvu or others. I think we need to do this  quickly but Burns holds the cards. This stinks.

There will be some cuts and restructures to create some more cap.  

There is also this:

The Carolina Panthers and star edge-rusher Brian Burns "never got close" in previous contract negotiations, according to ESPN's David Newton.

Newton reported Burns was angling to get nearly $30 million annually during those discussions. That would put him near the top of the list of highest-paid edge defenders. The San Francisco 49ers' Nick Bosa leads the way at $34 million, and the Pittsburgh Steelers' T.J. Watt is next at $28 million.

"I feel like I earned that before this season,'' Burns said entering that group, per Newton. "Given our circumstances, it is what it is. But my feeling never changed from that point to now, because I put the work in for years prior to this."

The case with the two-time Pro Bowler is a little less straightforward, though.

Bosa was the reigning Defensive Player of the Year and led the NFL in sacks before signing his extension. Watt had 49.5 sacks and two All-Pro nods through his first four seasons before he penned his new deal. The Los Angeles Chargers' Joey Bosa and Cleveland Browns' Myles Garrett both reset the market in 2020 after having multiple seasons double-digit sacks.

Burns hasn't compiled the same kind of résumé so far.

Still, Spotrac valued him at $21.7 million per year, pointing to how his production hasn't matched that of the Bosas, Garrett and Watt before they signed.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1011...ed-30m-aav

I am still hoping some team will be willing to trade something for him. They can easily blame bad Panther coaching for his lack of production.  Maybe a change of scenery will be good for him. Dan is going to do what is best for this team.

After much thought that quote gets it.  Burns wants $.  After “slacking” last year “not wanting to get hurt”, he wants top $.  Not a 30 mil a year deal please.  Burns is good, not 30 mil a year good.  Sign back Luvu.  7.5 sacks, not the same $.  More energy.