Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

5 posts in this topic
Ladypanther

451 posts 71 threads Joined: Oct 2023
05-03-2024, 09:26 AM -
Rare thing these days......here it is:

Carolina Panthers
Key additions: WR Diontae Johnson, WR Xavier Legette, OG Robert Hunt, OG Damien Lewis, HC Dave Canales

I know, I know ... we did this last year. Rumors of the Panthers turnaround were GREATLY exaggerated in 2023 — but I don’t think anyone could have predicted that Frank Reich would have been an abject nightmare.

This feels very different. If you actually watched Bryce Young in his rookie season you’ll know that he was absolutely not the problem with the Carolina offense. He was stuck with the worst receiving room in the NFL, full of guys who either couldn’t get separation, didn’t fight for the ball, and sometimes both.

This year he gets an overhauled offensive line, particularly at the two guard spots (where Bryce struggled the most with interior pressure), and now he has a true No. 1 who can separate in Johnson. The biggest factor though is Dave Canales. The Panthers new coach worked wonders with Baker Mayfield in Tampa Bay, and there’s a lot of belief he can do the same in Tampa. Now, to be fair, he doesn’t have Mike Evans or Chris Godwin to work with, but similar to the Cardinals the Panthers should easily be able to become a 9-8 team that pushes for a playoff spot — especially in the NFC South.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2024/5/2/24...wboys-jets

FWIW....I was surprised to hear Cananales say a few weeks ago that he thought the team would compete for the NFC South title this year, especially considering recent history.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,698 posts 497 threads Joined: Dec 2019
05-03-2024, 07:21 PM -
I think the NFC South is going to be highly competitive this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see several teams with ten wins or more. The days of the NFC South being 'pushovers' are done. At least for this year.....
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,099 posts 690 threads Joined: Dec 2019
05-03-2024, 08:53 PM -
(05-03-2024, 09:26 AM)Ladypanther Wrote: Rare thing these days......here it is:

Carolina Panthers
Key additions: WR Diontae Johnson, WR Xavier Legette, OG Robert Hunt, OG Damien Lewis, HC Dave Canales

I know, I know ... we did this last year. Rumors of the Panthers turnaround were GREATLY exaggerated in 2023 — but I don’t think anyone could have predicted that Frank Reich would have been an abject nightmare.

This feels very different. If you actually watched Bryce Young in his rookie season you’ll know that he was absolutely not the problem with the Carolina offense. He was stuck with the worst receiving room in the NFL, full of guys who either couldn’t get separation, didn’t fight for the ball, and sometimes both.

This year he gets an overhauled offensive line, particularly at the two guard spots (where Bryce struggled the most with interior pressure), and now he has a true No. 1 who can separate in Johnson. The biggest factor though is Dave Canales. The Panthers new coach worked wonders with Baker Mayfield in Tampa Bay, and there’s a lot of belief he can do the same in Tampa. Now, to be fair, he doesn’t have Mike Evans or Chris Godwin to work with, but similar to the Cardinals the Panthers should easily be able to become a 9-8 team that pushes for a playoff spot — especially in the NFC South.

FWIW....I was surprised to hear Cananales say a few weeks ago that he thought the team would compete for the NFC South title this year, especially considering recent history.

It encourages me to hear him say that.  As a head coach, that should be his mentality and the mentality he instills in the team.  I am more hopeful this offseason than I was this time one year ago to be honest.  And while I think Canales means it, rather he can make it happen is another story lol Big Grin
This post was last modified: 05-03-2024, 08:54 PM by PantherFan007.
Ladypanther

05-03-2024, 09:49 PM -
(05-03-2024, 08:53 PM)PantherFan007 Wrote:
(05-03-2024, 09:26 AM)Ladypanther Wrote: Rare thing these days......here it is:

Carolina Panthers

It encourages me to hear him say that.  As a head coach, that should be his mentality and the mentality he instills in the team.  I am more hopeful this offseason than I was this time one year ago to be honest.  And while I think Canales means it, rather he can make it happen is another story lol Big Grin

It would be soooo cool to actually win the South (I know that is abit of a dream).  All the power rankings have us at 32...that is painful. I want them to be so wrong.

I really want Legette to have a great season.  He seems like such a deserving and good guy.  And that pick has been questioned. Extra motivation.

And has anyone noticed that the Panthers got the #1 rated RB and the #2 rated TE in the draft???  Does not seem like it.  Those guys should make a difference don't you think?

Oh yea...and the Oline got BIG upgrades.

Defense last year was good...weak on the run...looks like that will improve.  Edge may be questionable but so was Burns last year,  The D just needed 2 things...1) the offense to score and 2) the offense to stay on the field a little longer,  Both of those things should improve.

I think this team is underrated by the "experts."  Canales is a rookie HC but he only has to worry about the offense which he has proven to be very good at.  Evero & co got the D covered.

Best news seems to be it looks like Tepper is backing off.  Not really heard a peep from him or about him.  Even a draft room clip showed him talking to a drafted player after Morgan called the player...he basically said Hi and here's the head coach. I hope that continues.

I can hope for good things and I am.
OceanPanther

101 posts 11 threads Joined: Mar 2020
05-04-2024, 09:32 AM -
I'm ok with picking us at 32.. But after every draft.. I get ramped up mentally and think we're better than we probably are. So until we lose a game .. I have us winning the division..

Reality might sink in later,,,
Ladypanther

05-04-2024, 10:09 AM -
(05-04-2024, 09:32 AM)OceanPanther Wrote: I'm ok with picking us at 32..    But after every draft..  I get ramped up mentally and think we're better than we probably are. So until we lose a game ..  I have us winning the division..

Reality might sink in later,,,

Law of averages says that eventually we will be right....lol