Started by PantherFan007

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

4 posts in this topic
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,299 posts 742 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-24-2024, 06:52 PM -
I was glad to see the starting Offense on the field.  They looked good, confident, and like they had some cohesion.  I was impressed with the first drive.

After that, it took a minute, but I was impressed with Plummer, too. The kid can play some football, and it was like seeing it come together for him as the game went on.  I think he will make a decent backup and might even be some team's Jake Delhomme in the future.

It's going to be tough to make cuts, and that's what Dan Morgan said he wanted it to be.   

The entire Offense, both starters and backups, had a fresh look to them that we haven't really seen in a long, long time.  Watching Frank Reich's Offense last year was like trying to inhale peanut butter.  Bag

We will be cutting some guys who I thought earned a spot on the roster today, but only due to logistics at other spots on the roster.  

David Moore impressed me, and so did Matthews.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

3,001 posts 559 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-24-2024, 10:14 PM -
Well...

I thought the 1st stringers (starters..??) presented better than they should have. Not because of low expectations, but more because I was worried about rust, and lack of immediacy and intentionality. You can't build a coherent body of 'potential' without experiencing some inopportune moments. And our guys just haven't had those opportunities. You have to put the guys on the field and in the situations and then allow them to push outward to the edges and explore the boundaries. Without the time and guidance, it's bound to be a tough 'row to hoe'. To say I was pleasantly surprised would be an understatement.

Our "O" looked surprisingly solid. Young looked pretty good, at least a LOT better than last year. Chuba was solid in his few carries. Legette is a work in progress. He shouldn't be starting for awhile....maybe not this year.. Thielen looked like himself and Johnson too. I think we now have a very solid TE room. And Plummer REALLY surprised me. He grew by leaps and bounds over the last week. 

The "D" was pretty good (most of the time). They forgot how to contain a few times and there was absolutely WAY too many missed tackles. We have to tighten that up.

Smith-Marsette looked good on returns. Have to wonder about Blackshear. Hekker was his usual self... Who knew he could kick off of the ground as good as he does.??

It would be interesting to sit down and try to pick our 53 roster right now..!!
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,290 posts 66 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-24-2024, 10:58 PM -
Take a shot at the 53 hob
OceanPanther

151 posts 17 threads Joined: Mar 2020
08-25-2024, 08:48 AM -
(08-24-2024, 10:14 PM)Hobbit99 Wrote: Well...

I thought the 1st stringers (starters..??) presented better than they should have. Not because of low expectations, but more because I was worried about rust, and lack of immediacy and intentionality. You can't build a coherent body of 'potential' without experiencing some inopportune moments. And our guys just haven't had those opportunities. You have to put the guys on the field and in the situations and then allow them to push outward to the edges and explore the boundaries. Without the time and guidance, it's bound to be a tough 'row to hoe'. To say I was pleasantly surprised would be an understatement.

Our "O" looked surprisingly solid. Young looked pretty good, at least a LOT better than last year. Chuba was solid in his few carries.Legette is a work in progress. He shouldn't be starting for awhile....maybe not this year.. Thielen looked like himself and Johnson too. I think we now have a very solid TE room. And Plummer REALLY surprised me. He grew by leaps an d bounds over the last week. 
[quote pid="8547" dateline="1724555698"]

The "D" was pretty good (most of the time). They forgot how to contain a few times and there was absolutely WAY too many missed tackles. We have to tighten that up.

Smith-Marsette looked good on returns. Have to wonder about Blackshear. Hekker was his usual self... Who knew he could kick off of the ground as good as he does.??

It would be interesting to sit down and try to pick our 53 roster right now..!!
[/quote]

I'm going to be disappointed if Legette doesn't see the field a lot and contribute a lot.  700 yrds, 6-9 TD .  First round picks should be starters, or at least be on the field a lot . We've not seen a lot of practice and preseason like in the past, so he might be doing great and on schedule ..
Legette isn't our biggest concern this season.  Ikem Ekwonu getting better, Mingo and Marshall need to improve.  In all honesty I think Canales is show us a different and much improved offense this season.    Stay Healthy Panthers
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

3,001 posts 559 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-25-2024, 09:26 AM -
(08-25-2024, 08:48 AM)OceanPanther Wrote:
(08-24-2024, 10:14 PM)Hobbit99 Wrote: Well...

Our "O" looked surprisingly solid. Young looked pretty good, at least a LOT better than last year. Chuba was solid in his few carries.Legette is a work in progress. He shouldn't be starting for awhile....maybe not this year.. Thielen looked like himself and Johnson too. I think we now have a very solid TE room. And Plummer REALLY surprised me. He grew by leaps an d bounds over the last week. 

I'm going to be disappointed if Legette doesn't see the field a lot and contribute a lot.  700 yrds, 6-9 TD .  First round picks should be starters, or at least be on the field a lot . We've not seen a lot of practice and preseason like in the past, so he might be doing great and on schedule ..
Legette isn't our biggest concern this season.  Ikem Ekwonu getting better, Mingo and Marshall need to improve.  In all honesty I think Canales is show us a different and much improved offense this season.    Stay Healthy Panthers

I think you're right. I believe that Legette WILL play quite a bit ... AND I suspect that he will be a very good WR eventually. It just may take a year or so.  I base my thoughts on comments made by Canales and others who have been present since he arrived. The general train of thought being that Legette needs some "time". He needs experience and coaching to smooth out rough edges and put some polish on the route tree and instinctual movement downfield. He has all of the physical gifts, just needs to meld it all together. Legette was a mid 2nd round talent in reality. We moved up into the bottom of the 1st to get him --- because we WANTED him and because we wanted the 5th year option. 

Your thoughts about Ekwonu and Mingo are "on point". As much as I like Icky Ekwonu, I worry about him and our QB every time he has a pass-block assignment. I've said it multiple times here... Ekwonu has "lazy feet". I am NOT certain that he will ever improve enough to be considered a #! (franchise caliber) left tackle. I just keep hoping for the best.  I think Mingo is about to bust out and go. He should have a good year.
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"