Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

3 posts in this topic
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,763 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
04-30-2020, 11:12 AM -
As reported by CSR.....

Quote:New CBA gives Panthers unique opportunity to bolster roster with veterans sooner rather than later

The end of the NFL Draft usually means the end of some veteran players’ tenures with their current teams. The Panthers could use that opportunity to improve their roster.
Quote:The signing of the new NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement will have major effects on the game, many of which we all know too much about already. One of the smaller details that might have flown under the radar is the timeline for when signings count against compensatory picks. In previous years, the deadline for these signings to stop counting against the compensatory picks would be weeks after the Draft concluded. This year, that deadline passed mid-afternoon yesterday (4 p.m. ET the Monday after the draft). 

Because of this new wrinkle in free agency, many teams will look to sign some still unemployed free agents this week with no repurcussions to their possible compensatory picks for the 2021 draft (perhaps including one former league MVP looking for a starting job somewhere). This change has already caused some veteran cuts to happen earlier than expected, and the Pantherscan use this opportunity to improve the overall talent on the roster. 

One such example has already happened in Seattle. The Seahawks have cut veteran offensive linemen DJ Fluker and Justin Britt, probably in an effort to free up cap space to bring back defensive end Jadeveon Clowney. Waiting until now to sign Clowney means his contract will not factor into Seattle’s compensatory picks next year, so they may be willing to fork over a bit more cash. The Panthers still have some holes to fill, including depth on the offensive line. Those spots could go to players like Fluker and Britt, or any number of other possible cuts coming soon. 

Coach Matt Rhule has already lamented that the Panthers will “have to depend on rookies” on defense this year. This new rule in the CBA allows the Panthers rookie head coach to bring in some veteran competition.
Firstchance

715 posts 81 threads Joined: Dec 2019
04-30-2020, 11:25 AM -
Try I might be wrong... would not be the first time! But, I am pretty sure that we don’t have cap room to sign anyone of any real value. I don’t think Luke rolls off until June 1, as a retiring player???? And we still have to have the funds to sign this year draftees.
This post was last modified: 04-30-2020, 11:27 AM by Firstchance.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

05-01-2020, 03:20 AM -
(04-30-2020, 11:25 AM)Firstchance Wrote: Try I might be wrong... would not be the first time! But, I am pretty sure that we don’t have cap room to sign anyone of any real value. I don’t think Luke rolls off until June 1, as a retiring player???? And we still have to have the funds to sign this year draftees.

Yeah... I'm not at all certain about cap space.... Still, the potential is there if we wanted to dump a player or two to sign someone else and NOT affect next draft's compensatories....Probably won't affect us this year.
Bag
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

05-01-2020, 10:14 AM -
Interestingly..... Shortly after I started this thread...

Notice that the Panthers have just recently signed three additional FAs. These guys will NOT count against any compensatory picks (according to the reading of the NEW CBA...see above..).

Who knew..???