2021 vs 2020: Did We Improve the Roster?
Started by coffee

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

14 posts in this topic
coffee

238 posts 24 threads Joined: Dec 2019
07-27-2021, 02:43 PM -
I'm getting back to the mood for talking football.  The pandemic and results of it have played havoc on my schedule and stolen too much focus.  Hopefully, that'll change.

So, I've been trying to honestly look at our offseason changes to think of where our roster is in relation to last year.  I'll admit that my first thoughts after the Darnold trade were that we made a sideways move.  That may still be the case but I'm much more optimistic now that I've looked into it more.  For the purpose of this exercise, I'm still going to treat QB as a sideways move with potential.  I've also thought that the pandemic last season and starting over with another QB this season have slowed the potential success of the rebuild.

OFFENSE:

THE BAD: We lost Curtis Samuel.  We've all known he was an underutilized star for a long time.  He was especially a monster at moving the chains on third down.  We also let Mike Davis go to the Falcons.  I think we'll miss him when it's 3rd and 1 and/or when we're trying to punch it in the endzone.  The Falcons got a good one that I think will be a nice upgrade from an injured Gurley.  Are there other offensive losses that you think will amount to much?

THE GOOD: We made positive moves to cover those two losses.  We have David Moore and Terrace Marshall trying to make up for the CS loss and Chuba Hubbard trying to fill MD's shoes.  Dan Arnold seems to be a major addition and Tommy Tremble is an interesting potential as well.

THE RESULT: Even assuming Darnold isn't an upgrade, I think we made significant improvement to our offense overall.  Obviously, (hopefully) getting CMC back will be the biggest improvement.  Here's the apples-to-apples that comes to my mind: Everything we got last year from Curtis Samuel AND Mike Davis is LESS than what we got from just CMC in 2019 (yards receiving, yards rushing, and TDs).  If he returns to form, he alone replaces those two losses, meaning all of the above additions that I mentioned (Moore, Marshall, Chuba, etc) are upgrades over 2020.  The real benefit, though, is the positions that were upgraded.  We all know that our team runs through CMC and we also know that we were sorely lacking at TE, especially in the redzone.  So, filling those two holes does much more than add stats.  It completes the offensive plan.  I'm thrilled we locked up Moton, but the O-line has too many question marks to guess the outcome yet.  Even so, I think we upgraded the offense nicely from last year.

I'll look at D later (or let someone else if they want), but considering how many games we lost despite having the ball and a chance for a winning drive, I'm excited.  We lost ALL of those, eight I think, last year.  If we were able to turn half of those into successful endings this year, we'd likely steal a playoff spot.
This post was last modified: 07-28-2021, 07:29 AM by coffee.
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,194 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
07-27-2021, 09:41 PM -
Great post coffee.  I like the direction of the o if not the qb.  Moton will do ok.  I hope he spikes in the end of the season.  O line is the biggest gamble.  5 competent guys?  I Pick moton, paradise, Miller, brown, Dailey, little, deonte, christianson, Irving n Scott to compete.  hope we get a line outta that.  ?
coffee

07-28-2021, 07:14 AM -
I'm not really able to take much of a guess on the O-line. That's partly because of their unknowns and largely because of my ignorance. I haven't really kept up with how each player on the line did last year, so it's pretty hard to compare it to the unknowns of what we have now.

As best I can tell, we brought in no heroes to fix the line. But I also don't think we lost a ton of talent there. You seem to have a nice grasp of these guys (as much as possible). So, two questions for you:

Do you think we have the ability to be approximately equal to last year? Better? Worse?
And does it look to you that the regime has said "We've fixed as much as we can fix this year. O-line is next year"?
Josh21
Posting Freak

07-28-2021, 09:49 PM -
Our biggest loss was okung, who was ok in 2020. Hopefully we get better in2021. Not likely. Unles we have a guy step up (t moton, sorry) or Irving it should b an adventure. Lots of guys trying…. The interior should b ok. Paradise, Miller, christianson (depending rt), elfline, deonte, little n daily(the last 2 will have tackle looks).

I think we are better on the online IF we can settle the lt. If not tiny bit better because cmc.

I think they have very emphatically said, (it is what it is, ol is confirmed). Work with it.

(07-28-2021, 09:49 PM)Josh21 Wrote: Our biggest loss was okung, who was ok in 2020.  Hopefully we get better in2021.  Not likely.  Unles we have a guy step up (t moton, sorry) or Irving it should b an adventure.  Lots of guys trying…. The interior should b ok.  Paradise, Miller, christianson (depending rt), elfline, deonte,  little n daily(the last 2 will have tackle looks).

I think we are better on the online IF we can settle the lt.  If not tiny bit better because cmc.

I think they have very emphatically said, (it is what it is, ol is confirmed).  Work with it.

(07-28-2021, 09:49 PM)HJosh21 Wrote: Our biggest loss was okung, who was ok in 2020.  Hopefully we get better in2021.  Not likely.  Unles we have a guy step up (t moton, sorry) or Irving it should b an adventure.  Lots of guys trying…. The interior should b ok.  Paradise, Miller, christianson (depending rt), elfline, deonte,  little n daily(the last 2 will have tackle looks).

I think we are better on the online IF we can settle the lt.  If not tiny bit better because cmc.

I think they have very emphatically said, (it is what it is, ol is confirmed).  Work with it.

(07-28-2021, 09:49 PM)Josh21 Wrote: Our biggest loss was okung, who was ok in 2020.  Hopefully we get better in2021.  Not likely.  Unles we have a guy step up (t moton, sorry) or Irving it should b an adventure.  Lots of guys trying…. The interior should b ok.  Paradise, Miller, christianson (depending rt), elfline, deonte,  little n daily(the last 2 will have tackle looks).

My bad triple posting.
This post was last modified: 07-28-2021, 10:12 PM by Josh21.
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,158 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
07-29-2021, 05:28 AM -
Me, too, brother. I have a new and excited outlook for this season and just hope they don't spoil it with a bunch of nonsense this time around. I believe we have the parts to field a solid football team on both sides of the ball, and believe we will be light years better than last season, but that's just me homering again lol
Josh21
Posting Freak

07-30-2021, 10:30 PM -
If our o-line can b ok, we will finish just south of .500. Good? Playoffs. It’s a start for ruhle though. Plenty of his guys. I think the secondary is the same way. Improved. Minus fs. He likes Franklin n Hartsfield though. I think we’re middle of the road, playoff maybes. I’d love to be proven wrong!

Who’s on defense?
This post was last modified: 07-30-2021, 10:32 PM by Josh21.
coffee

07-31-2021, 08:35 AM -
Yesterday, NFL Radio visited our camp. Nice interviews with Rhule, Fitterer, and several players. They seem to me to give good accurate assessments of the rosters and they concluded with comments that are pretty much what we'd expect:

They said, like with every team, there are some question marks. Of course QB is one. They said the O-line looks very solid from the center to the right. Just the other two spots to figure out, which will involve a ton of experimentation. Then TE still has to be a question mark until we see what we've got.

Interestingly, they said our D looks sharp and thought it might move into the top 10 this year.
PantherFan007
Administrator

07-31-2021, 02:37 PM -
Yeah, from everything I hear the Defense is looking awesome this training camp.

There are, however, a few moving parts on Offense, which we generally expected until they are able to get that Left Tackle position solidified.
PantherFan007
Administrator

07-31-2021, 02:38 PM -
Oh, and by the way (and for what it's worth), news is that Will Grier has been lighting it up at the QB position
coffee

08-01-2021, 08:11 AM -
NFL Radio spoke again about TC and had some good and bad as expected. Very high praise for the D. I knew Horn had gotten his first INT. I was hoping it was some magnificent play on his part but I think it was Darnold's growing pains. They said the practice looked "disjointed." They could see really good plays from Sam mixed with some that showed he still hasn't gotten all the nuances of our team/plays/etc. I think that's pretty much expected at this point, but it put more in perspective some of the comments I've been hearing from Rhule.

Coach says SD makes huge strides forward each time he's out there. That's great, but also means he had (has?) huge strides to make. Rhule also keeps stressing to SD that he doesn't have to take the team on his back like NY expected. So, check down to CMC, throw it away, be willing to punt and live another day. At least for now, apparently they want a game manager. Sounds to me like tearing him down and rebuilding. I'm sure he's still got the panicky "we're gonna lose" feeling left over from NY that makes him try to force it. Seems smart. If he becomes a game manager QB for one season, he'll start seeing the bigger opportunities more clearly.