UDFA Rookie Safety JT Ibe tossed out of Practice; Keith Kirkwood taken to hospital
Started by PantherFan007

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

9 posts in this topic
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,158 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-03-2021, 08:48 AM -
Undrafted Rookie Free Agent Safety out of South Carolina., J.T. Ibe  was thrown out of practice this morning after hitting WR Keith Kirkwood in the head, causing Kirkwood to be carried off the field on a cart and taken to the hospital by ambulance.

https://www.panthers.com/news/training-c...s-august-3

https://twitter.com/daringantt/status/14...s-august-3

Quote:Darin Gantt

@daringantt

·
Kirkwood is going straight into the ambulance by the side of the field. No one seems to know what’s next. They’ve called the team up.

I hope Kirkland is okay and isn't seriously injured.  It doesn't bode well for the rookie safety.   He might as well pack his bags and get on with his business.
This post was last modified: 08-03-2021, 08:54 AM by PantherFan007.
coffee

238 posts 24 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-03-2021, 09:59 AM -
"The Panthers have waived JT Ibe. That didn’t take long."
PantherFan007
Administrator

08-03-2021, 03:29 PM -
(08-03-2021, 09:59 AM)coffee Wrote: "The Panthers have waived JT Ibe. That didn’t take long."

It's official and yes it didn't take long.  

Carolina Panthers waive J.T. Ibe after vicious hit on Keith Kirkwood (usatoday.com)

After defensive back J.T. Ibe hit wide receiver Keith Kirkwood in practice on Tuesday, leading to him being carted off, the team has acted swiftly.

The Carolina Panthers announced that Ibe has been waived. Ibe was kicked out of Tuesday’s workout after the hit, which left Kirkwood down on the field for near 10 minutes. Practice stalled until the situation was resolved.

Eventually, Kirkwood was taken to an ambulance, but early signs on his health have been positive.

Carolina coach Matt Rhule said via press conference that Kirkwood has movement in his legs and he did not have any pain in his neck.

Ibe signed with the Panthers in April. Tuesday’s practice was the team’s first fully padded practice of training camp.
coffee

08-03-2021, 05:10 PM -
I don't have a link right now but JT put out a very professional, appropriate tweet apologizing and explaining that he was going after the ball and didn't think it was going to be a bad hit in the split second he had to consider it. It didn't sound like he was making excuses and he took complete responsibility for it.
PantherFan007
Administrator

08-03-2021, 08:18 PM -
(08-03-2021, 05:10 PM)coffee Wrote: I don't have a link right now but JT put out a very professional, appropriate tweet apologizing and explaining that he was going after the ball and didn't think it was going to be a bad hit in the split second he had to consider it.  It didn't sound like he was making excuses and he took complete responsibility for it.

I read an interview with him right after it happened and he was shaken and very apologetic.  He said then that it was completely by accident and that he would never intentionally try to hurt another player.

But it didn't help him that Keith Kirkwood played for Matt Rhule at Temple  Dodgy
This post was last modified: 08-03-2021, 08:19 PM by PantherFan007.
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,194 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-03-2021, 09:31 PM -
Second time it’s happened with him if the tweets are accurate. First play caused a tussle, fight, quick dust up, it was a non padded practice play. Seems he’s been talked to about it before. Tee’d off on a teammate. Fighting for roster spots, but dang! Simple coaching.

Don’t do this. “Ok”.. does it again. What can u do? Allow him free reign? U cut him. Don’t lay ure teammates out. Simple rule. It seems.

Here’s his apology

There aren’t a lot of sports where your career and entire life can change in an instant. Tackle football is one of them, and the Panthers got a jarring reminder of that at training camp today.

ADVERTISEMENT

Safety J.T. Ibe has been released for his hit on wide receiver Keith Kirkwood at practice. Ibe hit Kirkwood high while he was attempting to make a catch in mid-air. Kirkwood went down hard and stayed there for a while. Eventually, he was taken off the field in an ambulance. It’s too late to save his job, but Ibe has apologized, per the Charlotte Observer.

“I just saw the ball and him and I wanted to interrupt it. It wasn’t me aiming for his head. It was just me trying to jar the ball out. . . I just felt bad, I looked at him when I landed, and I just felt bad. I asked the trainers to tell him I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to hit him like that. It wasn’t intentional at all and I’m praying he’s OK.”
Ibe’s actions and subsequent release have been the story of the day. Sam Darnold appeared taken off-guard by the news in his post-practice press conference. Meanwhile, while Panthers legend Charles Johnson seems to think cutting him was sudden and harsh.
This post was last modified: 08-03-2021, 10:04 PM by Josh21.
coffee

08-04-2021, 07:57 AM -
Yeah, sounds like the right way to handle it all around.

He goofed up, but understandably considering how desperate these guys are to make a team. Then he handled it correctly with a humble apology.

He probably wasn't sticking here anyway, so it makes sense to send a powerful message to him and everyone else by just moving on a few days early, especially if it's a repeated offense. The coaches know the situation best and, if this was a quick, harsh decision, they may bring him back feeling "lesson learned."
PantherFan007
Administrator

08-05-2021, 05:28 AM -
Things seem to have been a bit chippy this week. Robby Anderson got into a scuffle yesterday with Troy Pride, Jr, after Robby thought Troy was a little too rough pushing him out of bounds.

Coach Rhule told them, "Fight if you want to, as long as you understand you will be running laps afterwards" (Per Panthers.com)
coffee

08-05-2021, 02:35 PM -
LOL! I like how he handles that!
PantherFan007
Administrator

08-05-2021, 03:55 PM -
(08-05-2021, 02:35 PM)coffee Wrote: LOL!  I like how he handles that!

LOL, me too.  It took me back to my highschool days lol  Fblaugh Joker