Started by PantherFan007

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

5 posts in this topic
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,158 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-18-2021, 05:58 AM -
The first preseason game @ Colts felt a little weird for me, basically because it was all backups from start to finish.

But, that having been said, there were some good things to come from it. 

First, PJ Walker could be a stud quarterback, and I honestly believe we can trust him to lead the team and win games if anything were to happen to Sam Darnold.  He made some excellent (and accurate) throws on Sunday (and made a couple of errant throws as well), and his arm strength is very apparent. 

Cuts are going to be difficult decisions at a number of positions.  We have some really good players running neck and neck fighting for those roster spots.

Chuba Hubbard and Terrace Marshall, Jr appeared as advertised.  Two very skilled and athletic players, and I am excited to see what they can do their rookie year.

Just a few thoughts for now.
coffee

238 posts 24 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-18-2021, 11:03 AM -
Yeah, hard to have many opinions when it was backups vs backups. It felt like we had the better team for most of the game.

Still, redzone and 3rd down stops haven't shown a big improvement yet. But I think it's big that PJ didn't turn it over in the redzone. He's been pretty special everywhere else on the field. Hopefully he has figured out how to protect the ball better there and maybe with CMC on the field we could see those redzone trips turn into TDs instead of INTs.

I was happy to see Tommy Tremble used in the passing game. That will be fun to see more of.

Smitty was in preseason form. I hope he keeps being involved but he seemed out of place trying to talk us through the game. And he needs to quit saying "Also too . . ."

Also too, I think the term needs to be "The DarnArnold Connection."
PantherFan007
Administrator

08-18-2021, 06:27 PM -
(08-18-2021, 11:03 AM)coffee Wrote: Yeah, hard to have many opinions when it was backups vs backups.  It felt like we had the better team for most of the game. 

Still, redzone and 3rd down stops haven't shown a big improvement yet.  But I think it's big that PJ didn't turn it over in the redzone.  He's been pretty special everywhere else on the field.  Hopefully he has figured out how to protect the ball better there and maybe with CMC on the field we could see those redzone trips turn into TDs instead of INTs.

I was happy to see Tommy Tremble used in the passing game.  That will be fun to see more of. 

Smitty was in preseason form.  I hope he keeps being involved but he seemed out of place trying to talk us through the game.  And he needs to quit saying "Also too . . ."

Also too, I think the term needs to be "The DarnArnold Connection."

Yeah, I was impressed to see them using not only Tremble but Tight Ends in general in the passing game.  That's something we have lacked since Greg Olsen was at his best.
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,194 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-20-2021, 10:16 PM -
Why is Grier being downplayed. 7-10. Pj was 10-21! Good reps n less efficiency. Liked pjs showing, let’s see Will in the same situation. Devils advocate (except 10-21 v 7-10).
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,194 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-20-2021, 11:26 PM -
I also loved some b/u’s. But I’ll wait a week or two to see.
PantherFan007
Administrator

08-21-2021, 06:26 AM -
(08-20-2021, 10:16 PM)Josh21 Wrote: Why is Grier being downplayed.  7-10.  Pj was 10-21!  Good reps n less efficiency.  Liked pjs showing, let’s see Will in the same situation.  Devils advocate (except 10-21 v 7-10).

Before the game, I was seriously pulling for Grier to come out and light things up like he has in Training Camp.  But, in all honesty, he didn't look good in the game.  He didn't look comfortable and after three years I am concerned that his NFL opportunities might be rapidly coming to a close.