Started by Josh21

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

4 posts in this topic
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,194 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
09-08-2021, 09:29 PM -
For Darnold to be worthy of what we want I have a comparison to float out there.  Can he be a Delhome?  He has a better pedigree, yes.  He could give us stats n lots of other things.  I loved teddy, but we lost a lot of close games (almost all).  Can Sam lead a drive in the 4th quarter down?  Delholme was not the best qb ever(love that man),but by damn if we didn’t win games because of him in the 4th.  A LOT.  Always believed!  If he can be average n win some games at the end it’d b enourmous.  I’d like him to be a Delholme.  Just find a way at the end.  Cardiac Cats?

Oh if we just stomped ppl I’d be happy.
coffee

238 posts 24 threads Joined: Dec 2019
09-09-2021, 12:02 PM -
Sounds good to me. If he does become Delhomme, he needs to know that Jake has a 100% touchdown rate on drives when his pants are torn and his butt is showing.

On another note, I'm thinking Darnold might be successfully under the radar and better than preseason stats reveal. Follow this for a moment:

In one article, I just read how great Zach Wilson is because he led four scoring drives out of his six preseason drives (https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/jets-vs...gs-to-know). He had two TDs and two FGs.

I read another (https://www.nfl.com/news/qb-index-week-1...nfl-season) that rates Darnold as the worst starting QB in the league, well below Wilson at #20. The reason given was: "He [Wilson] looked so comfortable in the preseason lighting up backups. If you think that's automatic, just look at how Wilson's predecessor in New York, Sam Darnold, struggled against backups in his preseason work this year in Carolina."

So I went back to look at Darnold's drives. Matt Rhule decided to take advantage of the preseason by going for it several times when, in the regular season, he would've called for a FG. Also, Slye had a terrible preseason as we know and missed a couple FGs.

Thus, a better 'apples-for-apples' comparison is checking how many drives got us into SCORING POSITION. I was quite pleasantly surprised to find that, out of Darnold's eight drives, he got us into scoring position SEVEN times.

This might be a bit 'woulda-coulda-shoulda' but my count puts it at 3 TDs, 4 Fgs, and 1 punt. He actually scored only 2 TDs but I'm counting the drive where he took us to the 1 yard line and we turned it over on downs. I'm counting this as a TD because, after giving Sam 1 pass opportunity, we handed it to Chuba 3 straight times and he couldn't punch it in. Chuba's not even our starter, so I don't feel SD should be punished for that one. Maybe that's homer thinking, but either way, it's another drive that put us in scoring position.

A couple more notes on this: Of Wilson's scoring drives, one was a 54 yard FG (so barely in scoring position), and one TD came after they got a 73-yard kickoff return.
This post was last modified: 09-09-2021, 12:25 PM by coffee.
Josh21
Posting Freak

09-09-2021, 09:46 PM -
Coffee u hit a point I didn’t. Happy feet. It was apparent on that first drive last game. Much improved after that. 1st 1-2 snaps. I’d say he’s gun shy after 3 years. I hope we can provide more time n protection for him to b comfortable. Our o line is kinda important! Heh.

Darnolds preseason was good, hopefully as we are, n underrated.
This post was last modified: 09-09-2021, 09:48 PM by Josh21.
Josh21
Posting Freak

09-10-2021, 11:31 PM -
Darnolds gramps was the Marlboro man…. Way cool
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,158 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
09-12-2021, 07:12 AM -
(09-08-2021, 09:29 PM)Josh21 Wrote: For Darnold to be worthy of what we want I have a comparison to float out there.  Can he be a Delhome?  He has a better pedigree, yes.  He could give us stats n lots of other things.  I loved teddy, but we lost a lot of close games (almost all).  Can Sam lead a drive in the 4th quarter down?  Delholme was not the best qb ever(love that man),but by damn if we didn’t win games because of him in the 4th.  A LOT.  Always believed!  If he can be average n win some games at the end it’d b enourmous.  I’d like him to be a Delholme.  Just find a way at the end.  Cardiac Cats?

Oh if we just stomped ppl I’d be happy.

You know, I have thought a LOT about the Delhomme comparison over the past few weeks, particularly after listening to Jake and Jordan Gross' podcast last week.  Jake said, "Sam can say what he wants, because that's what he is supposed to say, but believe me, deep inside he is wanted to kick some butt (or something to that effect) against the Jets".

I guess we will find out today if the hype is real or if the bad Darnold rears its ugly head.