Started by PantherFan007

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

16 posts in this topic
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,157 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
12-31-2019, 02:08 PM -
He didn't stay out of a job very long, at least once he was able to be officially hired.  Good Luck, Riverboat Ron, we are going to miss you!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001...kins-coach

Ron Rivera called his shot in early December and sank it before the end of the month.

Rivera, who was fired in early December by the Carolina Panthers and told reporters before he left "I will coach again," landed his next head coaching job about as soon as possible, become the latest in charge of the Washington Redskins. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport and Michael Silver reported Rivera's deal is for five years.
Rivera's eight and a half-season tenure with the Carolina Panthers came to an end at the start of 2019's final month.

The decision was a result of an underperforming Panthers team that appeared rudderless without the services of Cam Newton, who was sidelined for the season due to injury, leaving Carolina to put its hopes and dreams on the arm of Kyle Allen. The Panthers saw positive results initially, but as the season took a turn for the worst, a coaching change under fairly new owner David Tepper became inevitable.

That opened a door into a vast expanse of opportunity for Rivera, whose name was mentioned as a possible candidate for most head coaching vacancies across the league. Redskins owner Dan Snyder moved quickly, though, ensuring the other clubs competing for the services of Rivera wouldn't even get an interview with him by bringing him in on the first day after the conclusion of the 2019 season and securing his signature before leaving their meeting.

The Rivera hire follows a day of change in the nation's capital that saw Redskins president and general manager Bruce Allen fired after 10 seasons spent in the team's front office. Combined with Rivera's arrival, Allen's removal creates intrigue in regards to the organizational hierarchy in this new era of Redskins football. Rivera did not own control of the team's roster while in Carolina, but could in Washington in a setup somewhat similar to that of Mike Shanahan, who came on board shortly after Allen was hired in late 2009.

One former Panther who saw his role in Washington greatly diminished in 2019 spoke highly of his former coach before he was officially hired. Josh Norman, who experienced his greatest success while playing cornerback for Rivera in Carolina, said the coach's hiring would create a "night and day" difference in culture, per ESPN. Veteran defensive tackle Gerald McCoy, who spent less than a full season playing under Rivera, provided a similarly glowing review of his former coach, telling Washington players "the greatest thing in their careers is about to happen" if Rivera was hired, per The Athletic.

That's the type of veteran support that makes a layup hiring into a slam dunk, at least initially, especially for a franchise that has lacked winning culture for some time.

Rivera's hire supplies Washington with an experienced head coach for a team dotted with young talent, starting with its quarterback, Dwayne Haskins. The Redskins will also have the No. 2 pick in the 2020 NFL Draft to spend on whatever need it deems most important. With Rivera's defensive background considered, perhaps Washington selects Ohio State havoc-wreaker Chase Young to add an injection of pass-rushing power to its bottom-10 defense.

Those decisions will come in late April. But the most important move was made quickly this week by Snyder, who has his coach in place with all of 2020 still ahead of his beleaguered franchise.
coffee

238 posts 24 threads Joined: Dec 2019
12-31-2019, 06:22 PM -
Wonder who from our team/staff follows Rivera over there.
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,157 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
12-31-2019, 07:40 PM -
(12-31-2019, 06:22 PM)coffee Wrote: Wonder who from our team/staff follows Rivera over there.

I wish he would take the whole crew with him, but don't blame him for not doing it.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,764 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
12-31-2019, 11:51 PM -
Tres interessant....

I knew Rivera would land a position QUICKLY. Head Coach for 8 1/2 years; Won NFL Coach Of The Year twice in that span. Best coach the Panthers have ever had. Lots of respect everywhere around the league. I was sorry to see him leave. .......... The rest of the crew..?? Meh...??
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,192 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
01-01-2020, 01:09 AM -
The ones he needs will land in DC. I see an overhaul, but we have peices I'm sure. Rivera has a great roster for his staff just from guys that left the last 2 years. Least at coaching. I wish him well. Kick ass Rivera!

Go panthers? ?

Hobbit, u French, or just like the language?
This post was last modified: 01-01-2020, 01:58 AM by Josh21.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

01-01-2020, 08:05 PM -
(01-01-2020, 01:09 AM)Josh21 Wrote: The ones he needs will land in DC.  I see an overhaul, but we have peices I'm sure.  Rivera has a great roster for his staff just from guys that left the last 2 years.  Least at coaching.  I wish him well.  Kick ass Rivera!

Go panthers?  ?

Hobbit, u French, or just like the language?

I'm Marikan, Murican, Meracn .... U.S.A

I speak a little of 4 languages....mostly for travel (and fun..).
Shy
Josh21
Posting Freak

01-01-2020, 11:50 PM -
Heh, just checking!

No problems with th that. I dabble in 2 myself. Fail mostly.

Don't travel though.
This post was last modified: 01-01-2020, 11:55 PM by Josh21.
Firstchance

715 posts 81 threads Joined: Dec 2019
01-02-2020, 11:27 AM -
Riveria, should get the redskins back to being a average team, slightly north and slightly south of break even. The Del Rio hire was outstanding, I had begged for that in Carolina when he promoted Washington.
Josh21
Posting Freak

01-02-2020, 11:00 PM -
He preached discipline. Even last year we were top 5 in least penalties. Go Ron.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

01-03-2020, 01:06 AM -
I am a Rivera fan. I admit it.......

Ron did a good job here. He started from nothing and made the Panthers relevant. First time back to back NFC South champions, followed by a 3-peat. Ron was the victim of high expectations.. Reminds me a lot of the Jason Garret tenure in Dallas. Power teams, good talent, wins...but, no real movement upward thru the playoffs. Looks like it will bite Garret this year as well. (Although you can never tell what Jones is going to do...).

Anyway, i like Ron. He is a straight shooter and a terrific mentor for the young players. That, and he was very popular in the community. Sorry to see him go.
This post was last modified: 01-03-2020, 08:29 PM by Hobbit99.