Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

6 posts in this topic
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,158 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
02-16-2022, 08:05 PM -
Kenny Pickett, Quarterback, Pitt.  

You gotta keep in mind, David Tepper is a Booster for the University of Pittsburg.  ;)

This kid is mobile, he is accurate, he has one hell of an arm, and he is ready to play right out of the box.  

And he's already a "Panther" ;) Naughty

Spend the next three rounds shoring up the O-Line and we'll be set. 

This post was last modified: 02-16-2022, 08:07 PM by PantherFan007.
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,194 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
02-16-2022, 11:47 PM -
He looks good 007, but if one of the three best tackles drops we NEED it as a franchise. Rhule b danged. Good for team makes everybody better. I think with a pro (15th) ol Sam could be a .500 w/l qb. If we pass on a young lt for anything we failed this draft. FA looms I know. Don’t see us getting a lt there. Draft…. Know things will change.
This post was last modified: 02-16-2022, 11:51 PM by Josh21.
PantherFan007
Administrator

02-17-2022, 08:49 AM -
I understand, and agree O-Line is a pressing need. But those can be addressed in Free Agency as well as the 2-7th rounds of the Draft, and even in undrafted players, but it's rare to have a quarterback of his caliber land in your lap and then pass on him.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,769 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
02-17-2022, 04:42 PM -
(02-17-2022, 08:49 AM)PantherFan007 Wrote: I understand, and agree O-Line is a pressing need.  But those can be addressed in Free Agency as well as the 2-7th rounds of the Draft, and even in undrafted players, but it's rare to have a quarterback of his caliber land in your lap and then pass on him.

WELL... I'm not certain, but there is at least one thing wrong with this scenario right now. Oops.... Two things.

FIRST, this year, 2022 draft year, is one of the WORST years in recent history for Quarterbacks. As almost all big boards indicate, there is NO QB out there with a high 1st round grade. Yes, there will be QBs drafted in the 1st round. BUT... None of them, NONE, have shown a lot of potential like draft classes over the past five years or so. About the highest GRADE on a QB this year is low-mid 1st, around #18 or so.  NOTE:  This is not a draft PROJECTION.!! This is a GRADE.! Sooo...while a QB or maybe two may be drafted higher than that by a team who wants him, the consensus says NO QB is WORTH being drafted that high. That means that all of these QBs are a real REACH if drafted high in the 1st round.  IF these QBs were in the draft last year or before, they would ALL be mid-2nd or 3rd round picks. They are just NOT the quality of typical high 1st round picks. So, do we want to "reach" and waste a #6 on a potential #20 player.??  I can't see it......

The SECOND thing about this scenario that is concerning... As of right now, we DON'T HAVE a 2nd or 3rd round pick. So it's IMPOSSIBLE to "pick up" anyone starting in round two. Just can't be done.!! The ONLY way this happens is IF we trade BACK or trade a roster guy for a 2nd or 3rd. SO... we MIGHT trade back. We've all seen that happen. Scott Fitterer is NOT afraid to do this. So, NOW consider the possibility at say #12-15. Who is available.?? Or, maybe for an additional pick maybe trade back to #18-23. NOW, who is available.?? At this point we MIGHT have a 2nd and/or 3rd round available...MAYBE.??  IF we trade back to somewhere around #20, picking up a QB there at THAT draft position, might be feasible.....IF one is still available..??  What do we sacrifice to do this.??

OTOH, if you look at some of the "mocks" you DO see Pickett and Willis PROJECTED off the board higher in the 1st. It could happen, and some say it will happen. MAYBE-so. That doesn't mean they are worth it, or that it's a smart thing to do.

QUICKLY, look back a few years.... Consider the QBs since 2018 who were drafted in the top 10. Josh Rosen; Josh Allen; Baker Mayfield; Daniel Jones; Kyler Murray; Justin Herbert; Tua Tagovailoa; Joe Burrow; Trey Lance; Zach Wilson; and Trevor Lawrence.
Now compare this years class of QBs to those Top-10 Draftees.

Hmmm.... See what I mean.?? THIS years Qbs are really---- well, I don't know...  There is NO QB is this year's draft that is worth a #6 pick. If we do that, we'll regret it forever (probably..). Although I could be wrong. Once in a blue moon Tom Brady comes along...
**shrugs** Confused Depressed WTH..What do I know..???
PantherFan007
Administrator

02-17-2022, 08:36 PM -
(02-17-2022, 04:42 PM)Hobbit99 Wrote:
(02-17-2022, 08:49 AM)PantherFan007 Wrote: I understand, and agree O-Line is a pressing need.  But those can be addressed in Free Agency as well as the 2-7th rounds of the Draft, and even in undrafted players, but it's rare to have a quarterback of his caliber land in your lap and then pass on him.

WELL... I'm not certain, but there is at least one thing wrong with this scenario right now. Oops.... Two things.

FIRST, this year, 2022 draft year, is one of the WORST years in recent history for Quarterbacks. As almost all big boards indicate, there is NO QB out there with a high 1st round grade. 

2000 - Tom Brady, QB Michigan
Projected late 5th to early 6th round.
--Poor build
--Skinny
--Lacks great physical stature and strength
--Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush
--Lacks a really strong arm
--Can’t drive the ball downfield
--Does not throw a really tight spiral
--System-type player who can get exposed if forced to ad lib
--Gets knocked down easily

Below are a few more recollections of how Brady was viewed as the 2000 NFL Draft approached:

— “I don’t like him. Smart guy. That’s it.” — Anonymous NFC scout (via The Athletic)

— "I always thought you should look at any senior who is starting; maybe they have something. You watch four, five, six plays, and if they don't show anything you leave them off the list. I watched Brady, and he was actually pretty good. He was very careful with his passes, very accurate, no interceptions. I wondered if his arm would be strong enough. If you saw him — and he was listed that day at 6-5, 195 pounds — he didn't look good. He looked kind of emaciated, with no muscle definition. ... "I put him on the list and figured, it can't hurt. Let's give him a grade and at least we can talk about him. Turns out nobody else (with the Giants) had his name down. I gave Brady a middle-to-late-round grade, and when I was in the draft room I guess I got drowned out. Whoever heard of Tom Brady?" — Giants scout Whitey Walsh (via ESPN)

— "He had that great bowl game but I think he’s just very common. He’s a bony, very thin kind of guy. God, you can see his ribs on his build. His arm is just adequate. That bowl game against Alabama, he was just unconscious. Other than that, I didn’t like him. One thing he doesn’t do is force a lot of balls. He competed and hung in there." — Anonymous NFC scout (via The Athletic)

— “Very accurate, good toughness, good leadership. Has a chance to be a good player in the league in time. I think he’d be a real solid backup initially and end up growing into a starter.” — Bears director of college scouting Bill Rees (via The Athletic)

— "Brady needs to work on reading blitzes and elaborate defenses. Like Brian Griese and Scott Dreisbach, his Michigan quarterback predecessors, he could use long-term training with a team that already features a prominent running game and a talented, veteran receiving corps — similar to Brady's situation at Michigan with Anthony Thomas and Marcus Knight. Projected as a third-round pick, Brady is likely to wear the headset of a backup at first. He knows it will require a lot of patience before he will fit into an NFL team's scheme." — Sporting News

— “Interesting, interesting guy. He looks like one of them poles you hang coats on. He’s got big knobs on his shoulders. But this guy is a very good deep passer. He’s highly competitive. He can’t run worth a lick but he has enough where he can step out of the way of people.” — Lions vice president of player personnel Ron Hughes (via The Athletic)

— "I understand the players wanted (Brady) to play (over Drew Henson in 1998 and '99). Brady handled it excellently. He was one of the captains, and had to display that. He’s got a lot of character about him. ... I’ve seen him escape people. He’s not going to scramble around and light you up that way but he’s got a little feel to him … he has had some excellent games. He got sacked six times against Penn State and they won the game." — Anonymous AFC scout (via The Athletic)

But what do I know, either.  We can only hope for the best for the team and that's about it.   Joker
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,769 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
02-17-2022, 09:16 PM -
(02-17-2022, 08:36 PM)PantherFan007 Wrote:
(02-17-2022, 04:42 PM)Hobbit99 Wrote:

FIRST, this year, 2022 draft year, is one of the WORST years in recent history for Quarterbacks. As almost all big boards indicate, there is NO QB out there with a high 1st round grade. 

2000 - Tom Brady, QB Michigan
Projected late 5th to early 6th round.
--Poor build
--Skinny
--Lacks great physical stature and strength
--Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush
--Lacks a really strong arm
--Can’t drive the ball downfield
--Does not throw a really tight spiral
--System-type player who can get exposed if forced to ad lib
--Gets knocked down easily

Below are a few more recollections of how Brady was viewed as the 2000 NFL Draft approached:

— “I don’t like him. Smart guy. That’s it.” — Anonymous NFC scout (via The Athletic)

— "I always thought you should look at any senior who is starting; maybe they have something. You watch four, five, six plays, and if they don't show anything you leave them off the list. I watched Brady, and he was actually pretty good. He was very careful with his passes, very accurate, no interceptions. I wondered if his arm would be strong enough. If you saw him — and he was listed that day at 6-5, 195 pounds — he didn't look good. He looked kind of emaciated, with no muscle definition. ... "I put him on the list and figured, it can't hurt. Let's give him a grade and at least we can talk about him. Turns out nobody else (with the Giants) had his name down. I gave Brady a middle-to-late-round grade, and when I was in the draft room I guess I got drowned out. Whoever heard of Tom Brady?" — Giants scout Whitey Walsh (via ESPN)

— "He had that great bowl game but I think he’s just very common. He’s a bony, very thin kind of guy. God, you can see his ribs on his build. His arm is just adequate. That bowl game against Alabama, he was just unconscious. Other than that, I didn’t like him. One thing he doesn’t do is force a lot of balls. He competed and hung in there." — Anonymous NFC scout (via The Athletic)

— “Very accurate, good toughness, good leadership. Has a chance to be a good player in the league in time. I think he’d be a real solid backup initially and end up growing into a starter.” — Bears director of college scouting Bill Rees (via The Athletic)

— "Brady needs to work on reading blitzes and elaborate defenses. Like Brian Griese and Scott Dreisbach, his Michigan quarterback predecessors, he could use long-term training with a team that already features a prominent running game and a talented, veteran receiving corps — similar to Brady's situation at Michigan with Anthony Thomas and Marcus Knight. Projected as a third-round pick, Brady is likely to wear the headset of a backup at first. He knows it will require a lot of patience before he will fit into an NFL team's scheme." — Sporting News

— “Interesting, interesting guy. He looks like one of them poles you hang coats on. He’s got big knobs on his shoulders. But this guy is a very good deep passer. He’s highly competitive. He can’t run worth a lick but he has enough where he can step out of the way of people.” — Lions vice president of player personnel Ron Hughes (via The Athletic)

— "I understand the players wanted (Brady) to play (over Drew Henson in 1998 and '99). Brady handled it excellently. He was one of the captains, and had to display that. He’s got a lot of character about him. ... I’ve seen him escape people. He’s not going to scramble around and light you up that way but he’s got a little feel to him … he has had some excellent games. He got sacked six times against Penn State and they won the game." — Anonymous AFC scout (via The Athletic)

But what do I know, either.  We can only hope for the best for the team and that's about it.   Joker

YEP... agreed.
Not too many Tom Bradys around. That's for certain.
Whatever the team does, let's hope it turns out to be the RIGHT thing.!!
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,194 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
02-18-2022, 01:31 AM -
Predicting the next Tom as a 1st rounder…nope. No shoulder chip. Mac j could be closest. 5th qb chosen. Brady was 7th. 1st rd v 6th though.

That sound familiar to anybody?
This post was last modified: 02-18-2022, 01:38 AM by Josh21.