Started by Josh21

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

6 posts in this topic
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,194 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
02-23-2022, 12:30 AM -
We are looking for an 8 win qb. I think with an actual ol, he might can.  Has never had it in 4 years.  We get him 3 seconds n I think more plays happen.  Obviously.  He was hot to start last year n his line got hurt.  Continuity sucked.  Better players + more health could lead an offense.  My long shot prediction.  Sam more productive than bad.  More on the o line.  Disagreements are understood.  He’s stuck here this year for $19m.  Put him out there.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,769 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
02-23-2022, 08:09 PM -
(02-23-2022, 12:30 AM)Josh21 Wrote: We are looking for an 8 win qb. I think with an actual ol, he might can.  Has never had it in 4 years.  We get him 3 seconds n I think more plays happen.  Obviously.  He was hot to start last year n his line got hurt.  Continuity sucked.  Better players + more health could lead an offense.  My long shot prediction.  Sam more productive than bad.  More on the o line.  Disagreements are understood.  He’s stuck here this year for $19m.  Put him out there.

THIS shows some useful thinking. For the record, I have ALWAYS maintained that fans have little sense when it comes to reality decision making. They are too wrapped up in hate-mongering and trying to promote their favorite COLLEGE players, usually from a hometown basis.
I have a little column written that I will add to this thread as soon as I can find it...

GOOD start, Josh..
Josh21
Posting Freak

02-24-2022, 11:52 PM -
I’m awaiting the column.

N thank you hobbit.
This post was last modified: 02-25-2022, 12:06 AM by Josh21.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

03-01-2022, 06:05 PM -
This is a response to Josh's comments up there although it's 'aimed' at anyone and everyone who cares about the Panthers and the direction they are moving. I am speaking here about QBs and their responsibility, and their resulting play over their career. Take a minute, or an hour if you need to think about it, before you slam out an angry reply. Then use your brain and offer a thoughtful response. I will happily offer agreement IF you can back up what you say.

So lets look at QBs. We currently have three of them on the roster. All of the talk I hear is about how terrible our QB play is and how Darnold is "NOT the answer". Well..... maybe not.!! But I will contend that we just don't know for certain. AND in case you missed it, the same stuff is being said about Rhule. Hmmm.... I wonder if Panther fans are maybe just a little miffed or...??? We will talk about Rhule another time...

Here's the thing about QBs, and Darnold certainly illustrates this situation. The QB is ARGUABLY (I say "arguably" because it is debatable..there is room for disagreement..) the most important player on the team on the OFFENSE. There is only one reason for this. The QB handles the ball on EVERY play (except on the occasional weirdness play or wildcat..). So it stands to reason the QB would shoulder the blame. Unfortunately, that's not realistic. Let's examine Darnold... Sam was drafted in 2018 by the Jets. He was drafted #3 overall. That's right, #3.  Now, let's think about that........... Done.???
Well, I will contend that ANY QB who is drafted #3 overall can play football. It's that simple. Darnold had three rather "blah" years with the Jets. I think everyone will agree. And last year with the Panthers wasn't any better. Do you realize.... Sam Darnold has been sacked 133 times in four years.?? Four SHORT years I might add. Darnold has averaged only twelve (12..) games per year. Why such short years.?? Injuries....that says it all. Darnold missed four or more games every year due to injury. THAT is what 35 sacks per year will do to you.....35 sacks in 12 games remember.!!!

Anyway, the Panthers decided to take a shot on Darnold. For good or for bad...It is what it is. Now understand what I'm saying here.
I don't know whether Darnold is a long-term QB or not. But THIS I do know. Darnold is still on his rookie contract. He has only been with the Panthers ONE year and played in only 12 games. How can you (anyone..) evaluate how good he can be after only a few games and another significant injury.?? We bring him here...New team; New coaches; New scheme; New playbook. New everything....let him play a few games, broken collarbone, then condemn him for lack of success.!!!  Really.?? Does that make sense to you.??

He's only 24 y.o. for gosh sake.!! Give the young man a break. Build a team. Build an offense. Build a staff. Protect him and let him play with a few playmakers around him. Let's see what we have before we throw it all away. We OWE Darnold that opportunity. We owe it to him, and we owe it to the fans.!!
This post was last modified: 03-02-2022, 01:34 AM by Hobbit99.
Josh21
Posting Freak

03-01-2022, 11:40 PM -
Nice post hobbit!

Build o-line n what else we can. Lb, s, dt, anything. Qb is flashy, don’t see that as the first round pick unless we trade back. Hope we love Cross or Penning!
This post was last modified: 03-01-2022, 11:45 PM by Josh21.
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,158 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-02-2022, 07:02 PM -
It's not like we have a choice anyway. We're on the hook for his paycheck for another year at least.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

03-03-2022, 05:07 PM -
(03-02-2022, 07:02 PM)PantherFan007 Wrote: It's not like we have a choice anyway.  We're on the hook for his paycheck for another year at least.

Yeah... That's a fact.
Like I said several times... I don't know if Darnold is a true #1 QB or not. But this I DO know... If he doesn't get a chance to play without getting killed, we will NEVER know the answer. Historically, since he was drafted, he has never had an opportunity to play without running for his life. If that's as good as we can do----we will NEVER have a QB here worth a damn.

If Darnold is NOT our future QB, then we don't have one.!!  Because Walker is an abomination (Rhule's pet...), and Cam is done. If we pin our hopes on those two, we are in deep dookie.