PANTHERS PURSUING FA LEFT TACKLE--MAYBE.????
Started by Hobbit99

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

6 posts in this topic
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,769 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-20-2022, 02:37 PM -
After an incredibly busy Free Agency period so far, the Panthers, with eight (8) FA signings, just MIGHT be pursuing a Left Tackle in Free Agency. The latest rumblings out of the all-knowing prognosticators seem to indicate the possibility exists. According to several sites that track these things, the Panthers have an interest in Seattle's FA Tackle, Duane Brown.

IF the Panthers go forward with this pursuit, it will likely be a short term contract. Duane Brown is a proven resource and the Seahawks would like to re-sign him. HOWEVER, Brown might have limited utility with no room to grow. Duane Brown is 36 y.o. --- hence the reason for a short term contract.  Just have to wait and see.

NBC Sports Edge: Panthers Pursue Duane Brown

Panthers Wire: Panthers Looking at Seattle's LT Brown
This post was last modified: 03-20-2022, 02:49 PM by Hobbit99.
BlackCatzFan

370 posts 43 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-20-2022, 05:41 PM -
We know what first pick will be if they do this…
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

03-20-2022, 05:58 PM -
(03-20-2022, 05:41 PM)BlackCatzFan Wrote: We know what first pick will be if they do this…

I'm thinking we would trade back at least once, pick up a 2nd/3rd, maybe both. Then draft a QB somewhere around 15-25... where the actual value is (IF a QB that we like is available at that spot..).

What are you thinking..??
This post was last modified: 03-20-2022, 06:02 PM by Hobbit99.
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,194 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-20-2022, 09:38 PM -
(03-20-2022, 05:41 PM)BlackCatzFan Wrote: We know what first pick will be if they do this…

A lt.  If we get this it’s a short term fix.  Either a lt falls to six (or some other player we can’t pass on), or we trade back for more picks.  A 36 y/o tackle is not a long term fix.

Who’d u have in mind black cat?
This post was last modified: 03-20-2022, 09:40 PM by Josh21.
BlackCatzFan

370 posts 43 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-21-2022, 10:42 AM -
I am just saying they’d go Willis or Pickett, who I honestly feel would be a mistake regardless of draft position. Pickett is not good. Watch his tape, he is constantly under throwing his targets, and has no zip on his passes. Scouts say his max effective range is only 25-30 yards. He will be an interception machine. Malik Willis pidgeonholes is in the “dual threat” running category. Last time we tried that, it worked, but for a limited time. Run First dual threat qbs tend to fade away because they can’t transition to a passing QB effectively.

What would I like to happen? Trade back. Get a mid 1, (6th place is worth 1600pts) and a second, or get several picks for day 2. That’s where the bulk of this draft will be. Only QB I see worth taking is Matt Corral. He’s accurate and can throw the ball deep. And he’s a reach for the first round.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

03-21-2022, 12:57 PM -
(03-21-2022, 10:42 AM)BlackCatzFan Wrote: I am just saying they’d go Willis or Pickett, who I honestly feel would be a mistake regardless of draft position.  Pickett is not good.  Watch his tape, he is constantly under throwing his targets, and has no zip on his passes.  Scouts say his max effective range is only 25-30 yards.  He will be an interception machine.  Malik Willis pidgeonholes is in the “dual threat” running category.  Last time we tried that, it worked, but for a limited time.  Run First dual threat qbs tend to fade away because they can’t transition to a passing QB effectively. 

What would I like to happen?  Trade back.  Get a mid 1, (6th place is worth 1600pts) and a second, or get several picks for day 2.  That’s where the bulk of this draft will be.  Only QB I see worth taking is Matt Corral.  He’s accurate and can throw the ball deep.  And he’s a reach for the first round.

Most Excellent my friend.!!  You and I are on the same page with respect to the QBs. There is NO QB in this years draft worth a high 1st round pick.  But I'm not certain about Corral either, in any spot. I just don't know......  I think if we get TOO wrapped up in the "MUST take a QB" hype, we lose focus on the big picture which should be "building a roster"....IMHO.

Anyway, we have gained some ground on the O-line (a Guard and a Center..), beefed up the middle of our Defense (a Tackle, 2 LBs, and a Safety..), settled our kicking positions (Punter and Kicker..), and added some BEEF to our RB room. It's really hard to complain about this FA period. I think we are a markedly better, deeper team than last year. AND there is still time yet, and decisions to be made.....
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

03-22-2022, 06:40 AM -
***MORE NEWS***

Here is some additional news about the Panthers pursuit of FA Tackles. Some of this has been briefly mentioned elsewhere, but this is the first time it's all together in one spot. In any event, it appears the Panthers are indeed pursuing a Tackle in Free Agency. There are a number of them available, but the question remains which one(s) would generate enough interest for the Panthers to pursue. It would appear there are at least four, and maybe more, who might be a sufficient upgrade for the Panthers, considering the state of the current roster of Tackles.

Cat Scratch Reader:  Panthers Possible Free Agent Tackles.???