KEITH KIRKWOOD: Back with Panthers---Again??
Started by Hobbit99

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

2 posts in this topic
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,769 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
06-06-2022, 01:22 PM -
This is an interesting story, although in the overall scheme of things it will probably have very little bearing on the success or failure of the team this year.

Keith Kirkwood has been brought back to the roster (again..). Kirkwood has spent the past two seasons with the Panthers, mostly on the Practice Squad. Kirkwood was one of the guys that was a Rhule "favored son". Rhule knew/coached Kirkwood at Temple and he was part of the nepotism that has followed Rhule since he landed with the Panthers. Having 'familiarity' with players is NOT necessarily bad. However it can be bad for appearances when the roster is "packed" with former friends who have little to recommend. 

In any event, Kirkwood was brought here two years ago and suffered through several injuries early on. He has had multiple collarbone injuries as well as the horrific hit in training camp last year that sent him to the hospital by ambulance and caused the release/firing of Safety J.T. Ibe. Ibe was sent packing from the field and was waived immediately following the incident. It WAS a violent and unnecessary hit (especially in training camp..), which was made clear by Rhule after the practice. Kirkwood ended up sidelined for awhile with a concussion, but eventually worked his way back to the roster. He remained on the practice squad for most of the season but was designated as one of the "Covid" roster elevations and ended up playing in three games I think.

Here are the links to "the rest of the story" as Paul Harvey would say. These are 'in order', so if you start at the top and go down, you will have a better understanding.

PANTHERS:  Kirkwood Injured--Training Camp

PANTHERS: Kirkwood Returns To Practice Field

PANTHERS: Kirkwood Back With Panthers 2022
This post was last modified: 06-09-2022, 10:50 AM by Hobbit99.
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,158 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
06-11-2022, 05:52 PM -
I really liked Kirkwood when he was healthy. Actually thought he was going to catch on and be a solid player before he got injured.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,769 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
06-11-2022, 10:57 PM -
(06-11-2022, 05:52 PM)PantherFan007 Wrote: I really liked Kirkwood when he was healthy.  Actually thought he was going to catch on and be a solid player before he got injured.

Yeah... I'm still withholding my opinion. I like the guy, but he has some 'proving' to do. Would like to see him make it..