Started by coffee

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

13 posts in this topic
coffee

238 posts 24 threads Joined: Dec 2019
07-06-2022, 12:48 PM -
https://www.si.com/nfl/panthers/news/pan...r-mayfield

Not really excited about this but hopefully it will be a real competition between him and Darnold for #1.  We'll see.

It'll make Week One a lot more interesting, though. How ironic to have Darnold for Game one last year and Baker for Game 1 this year.
This post was last modified: 07-06-2022, 12:52 PM by coffee.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,769 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
07-06-2022, 01:04 PM -
Well..... I was waiting for a statement from the Panthers before throwing this out there.... But I guess now is as good aa time as any.

Nothing from the Panthers on this as of 1:45 P.M.  EDT.  The rumors are all over Twitter, but everything seems to be dependent on a single source release by Ian Rapoport. All the rest of the stuff flying around is quoting him or based on what he said.  Rapoport has been mostly OK with his stuff, so this release could very easily be true.

Rapoport indicates that the Panthers will trade a conditional 5th rounder in 2024. Conditionally could be a 4th rounder depending on playing time. Browns pick up 10.5 Mil of the guarantee, Panthers pay 5 Mil. Mayfield agrees to a 3.5 Mil reduction. All this ^^  according to Twitter notes.
As I said before, nothing official coming from the Panthers yet. Also conditioned on Mayfield passing physical.

Well.... I guess it's official now..

Panthers dot com has just released the following information:

PANTHERS:  Panthers Agree To Trade For Baker Mayfield

PANTHERS:  Mayfield--"Best Plays"

PANTHERS:  Photos--Baker Mayfield

I am completely ambivalent about this. Mayfield has proven nothing so far ...really. He was injured a lot last year also, just like Darnold. It's going to be a rat race come training camp. Truthfully, I don't have high expectations, so I can't be too disappointed.
This post was last modified: 07-06-2022, 01:23 PM by Hobbit99.
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,158 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
07-06-2022, 01:29 PM -
It's official per the Panthers' website.

https://www.panthers.com/news/baker-mayf...e-to-terms

Bag
BlackCatzFan

370 posts 43 threads Joined: Dec 2019
07-06-2022, 04:55 PM -
I’ve not really cared either way this far, but I WILL say I like Baker to Carolina a lot more than I liked Darnold to Carolina last season.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

07-06-2022, 07:39 PM -
(07-06-2022, 04:55 PM)BlackCatzFan Wrote: I’ve not really cared either way this far, but I WILL say I like Baker to Carolina a lot more than I liked Darnold to Carolina last season.

It's an interesting situation. Just off the cuff, I agree with you. However, if you really think about it, Darnold had a really tough assignment. Going into NY as a rookie draftee QB. You just knew what was going to happen. There is no tougher place to play, especially as an untested rookie. NY was going to eat him alive....and they did. Combine that with a complete failure on the part of the coaching staff there, and it's easy to understand why ANY drafted QB would have nightmares about playing in NY.  OTOH, Baker Mayfield in Cleveland had a MUCH easier indoctrination.  And yet, his numbers there are NOT stellar. In fact, I would say he was just average. And that is NOT what you expect from the #1 overall pick.

So, I don't know. Mayfield should have a 'tactical' advantage because he had a much easier first four years. We'll see how it works out.
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,158 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
07-06-2022, 07:41 PM -
Welp, guess this deserves a heartfelt "WELCOME TO CAROLINA, Baker!"  Wishing you all the best while you wear the Black & Blue.  

That having been said, I know we are on the hook for a ton of money in Sam Darnold.  Can we trade him?  Is he worth anything that letting him go doesn't leave us upside down in the trade?

Huh Huh Huh
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,194 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
07-06-2022, 08:12 PM -
How do we know Sam’s not the starter?. Bakers here, n I think he’ll beat him out. We will probably need Baker n Sam, n maybe Matt before the end of the season.

My guess by qb health the past few years. If we have one go off, it’d b nice.
This post was last modified: 07-06-2022, 08:14 PM by Josh21.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

07-07-2022, 04:29 AM -
So.... This poses another interesting question....

The Panthers now have five (5..) QBs on the roster. No-one ever talks about Davis Cheek, a rookie out of Elon, but along with PJ Walker, Matt Corral, Darnold, and Mayfield..... that makes FIVE. I see three (for certain..) on the roster and most likely on the 53. Do we 'store' another one on the Practice Squad, or does one or two get cut.??

Right now..... I see Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold on the 53 along with Matt Corral. Both Mayfield and Darnold are in the last year of their contracts. Corral is a rookie, year 1 of a 4 year contract. No 5th year option for Corral. That leaves PJ Walker and Davis Cheek. I know NOTHING about Cheek. Walker is a retread from the XFL who was never good enough to play in the NFL.  All 32 teams passed on him 7 times (through 7 rounds of the draft..). Signed as a UDFA by the Colts in May 2017. Messed around until 2020 when the Panthers reunited him with Rhule from Temple... (GO OWLS..). Never played a single snap until the end of October, 2020.

So..... Who sticks on the 53.??  Who goes to the Practice Squad.??  Cuts.??  Trades.??

Wait.... I have an idea. Let's sign some MORE QBs.!!!  We still have some money left. Quick, someone call the 49ers. Maybe we could sign Jimmy G too. 
I love playing musical QBs.
Depressed Bag
This post was last modified: 07-07-2022, 04:37 AM by Hobbit99.
coffee

238 posts 24 threads Joined: Dec 2019
07-07-2022, 06:24 AM -
Yeah, it's got to be the 3 you said, Hobbit. I really like PJ but he's not NFL calibre, and Cheek's name opens the door for great jokes about Delhomme's torn pants but neither will be on the 53.

I'm very interested to see if the competition is real between Sam and Baker. We've yet to see what Darnold could do with a healthy CMC and a decent O-line. But I don't see any point in trying to trade Sam now anyway. Buy low, sell high. He's at his lowest value now but I think it'll go up. I'd think, at the very least, we should keep him through preseason. I believe he'll look much better than last year.

It is spooky to think that we've got a QB that misses a few games every year and a QB coming off surgery. I really like the idea of Corral sitting a year and don't want him thrown in before he's ready, so I'd prefer to keep all 3.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

07-07-2022, 09:21 AM -
(07-07-2022, 06:24 AM)coffee Wrote: Yeah, it's got to be the 3 you said, Hobbit.  I really like PJ but he's not NFL calibre, and Cheek's name opens the door for great jokes about Delhomme's torn pants but neither will be on the 53.

I'm very interested to see if the competition is real between Sam and Baker.  We've yet to see what Darnold could do with a healthy CMC and a decent O-line.  But I don't see any point in trying to trade Sam now anyway.  Buy low, sell high.  He's at his lowest value now but I think it'll go up.  I'd think, at the very least, we should keep him through preseason.  I believe he'll look much better than last year.

It is spooky to think that we've got a QB that misses a few games every year and a QB coming off surgery.  I really like the idea of Corral sitting a year and don't want him thrown in before he's ready, so I'd prefer to keep all 3.

Good synopsis, Coffee.  I think you're right about the value as well. Darnold's value WILL go up (i'm almost sure..??). I think it's ludicrous that we sell Darnold short when he's been injured every year he's been in the league. Averages 12 games per year. Lots of injuries behind O-lines that leak like sieves. We bring in a #3 overall pick then dump him after he's played in 12 games and missed 5 due to injury. He's been hurt EVERY YEAR. How is it possible to evaluate a player like that.??

I'm not sold on Corral either. He could very easily be another Teddy Bridgewater, Carson Wentz, or Ryan Tannehill. Maybe better than that....or maybe worse.!! I'm not ready to sprinkle holy water on Corral and declare him to be the next Tom Brady, Aaron Rogers, or even Cam Newton. There is a lot of football to be played before he is declared to be the Panthers newest toy.

I think we would be foolish to 'dispose' of any of those three at this point. Of course, if some team comes calling and has big money in their tight little fists, anything could happen.