PANTHERS QB ROOM---NOW (2022..) AND FOR HOW LONG??
Started by Hobbit99

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

13 posts in this topic
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,769 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
07-12-2022, 04:59 PM -
Things are about to start heating up on the practice field. The Panthers have five (Oops..), no, still only four QBs on the roster for 2022. Which is one of the reasons for this thread. Another reason, and perhaps the biggest one, is because there is about to be a serious structure fire around the Panthers training facility in SC. Along with the heat generated by the weather down there at Wofford, there is going to be an untold amount of friction heat on the practice field and the locker room.  The #1 QB job is up for grabs..!!

Anyway, since there is bound to be a lot of discourse surrounding this subject, this seemed like a good time (and place..) to start it off.

Effective with the official(izing) of the Baker Mayfield deal on Monday night, the Panthers had a 91 man roster---UNLESS one player was dropped, which is exactly what happened. To make room on the roster, the otherwise #4 QB was waived to make room for the next #4 QB.  I can't say "I didn't expect it..", because I did. But for those who didn't know (OR worse, didn't care..), rookie UDFA QB, Davis Cheek, was waived to make room.

So, the axe falls here (quietly at first..). That leaves the Panthers with four QBs (still..) on the roster, Those four are: Sam Darnold; Baker Mayfield; Matt Corral; and PJ Walker.

Here is a little commentary on the action...

PANTHERS WIRE:  Baker Mayfield--IN,  Davis Cheek--OUT
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

07-13-2022, 08:47 AM -
Well, It's starting.....

The fact that Baker Mayfield has signed with Carolina brings out the prognosticators with their crystal 'pyramids', already crowning him as the 'next coming' and in fact as the #2 QB in the NFC South. Of course, you could argue that the NFC South does NOT have a plethora of QB talent at this time. And you would be right. Still, with Tom Brady still in command at TB, and Jameis Winston at NO, and Marcus Mariota at ATL....... I don't know..?? It seems like there is a lot of room for "discussion" about who in the 'South' is the better QB (currently..). Add in Andy Dalton, who has had some newsworthy moments of his own....and you can see what I mean.

Anyway, while I am "accepting" Mayfield as a QB 'partner' in Carolina, I am NOT ready to crown him "Mr Bojangles" just yet. I prefer my QBs to be proven on the field of fire. Which is something Baker Mayfield has not done (yet...).

Here is a little something from Cat Crave to illustrate the point....

CAT CRAVE:  Mayfield 'propped up' as #2  QB in the NFC South
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

07-14-2022, 03:46 PM -
As noted above, the Panthers have four QBs on the roster. Most of the talk has been about Baker Mayfield, as I guess it should be at this point. One thing that annoys me to no end is the incessant chatter among the 'mouths' out there who have nothing good to say about Darnold, and nothing bad to say about Mayfield. According to early reports from the Panthers coaches, Darnold has shown up vey well so far this year. BUT.....well, no matter.

There is one interesting tidbit that I just recently noticed. Of the four QBs on the roster, only ONE has a contract longer than one year. That would be, of course, Matt Corral. All three of the remaining QBs are set to disappear after this year. Looks to me like the GM and helpers may be looking ahead to next year for additional help from the 2023 draft..???

Of course, any of the 'expiring' QBs could be 'tendered' or 'extended' or 'renewed' or even "tagged. Tagging a QB comes with some potentially dramatic downside though. The "tag" has a significant cost involved. The current estimate for 2022 Franchise Tags for the QB position is in the very NICE neighborhood of 29.5 Million. That other amount being bandied about, you know, the 18.8 Mil one that both Darnold and Mayfield received.....shoot, that's 'chump change' compared to the "tag" numbers.!!
coffee

238 posts 24 threads Joined: Dec 2019
07-15-2022, 07:20 AM -
Could be looking at the draft. Also, could be: "Well, crap! I guess we jumped too quickly on that 5th year option thing."

I think they're just using the same BPA strategy that they use before each draft. They try to at least get a reasonably good JAG (Just a Guy) at each position so they don't have to reach in the draft. They've been "reaching" for a QB, but it looks like they are trying to set it up to go after the best QB available, whether it be someone here, draft, or another monstrous QB trade next year.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

07-15-2022, 07:41 AM -
(07-15-2022, 07:20 AM)coffee Wrote: Could be looking at the draft.  Also, could be: "Well, crap!  I guess we jumped too quickly on that 5th year option thing."

I think they're just using the same BPA strategy that they use before each draft.  They try to at least get a reasonably good JAG (Just a Guy) at each position so they don't have to reach in the draft.  They've been "reaching" for a QB, but it looks like they are trying to set it up to go after the best QB available, whether it be someone here, draft, or another monstrous QB trade next year.

I think what we're seeing here right now is the Panthers looking forward to next year and beyond. A "quick fix" is very seldom seen as a long term fix. Both Darnold and Mayfield have a lot of "proving" to do. PJ Walker is a bust and is not in the conversation. He may or may not catch on somewhere (yes, even here..) as a perennial back-up QB. That's all he will ever be. Matt Corral is a complete unknown. None of these three have enough' anything' right now to keep them here past this year.....except Corral who, because of his rookie contract, is an inexpensive option that might turn into a quality QB at some point.

Having seen what Rhule and Fitterer have done so far this year should be an omen for things to come. I think they (both of them..) are sitting back watching and waiting to pull the trigger again next year if it's warranted. Don't be surprised to see the Panthers "move up" next year to select one of the top QBs..... Unless one of these three breaks loose this year.
Headbang
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

07-15-2022, 09:24 AM -
Sort of in line with the last post, Scott Fitterer is now quoted from his last press conference as saying the Panthers will continue to look at QBs from all sources until they find the answer. Exactly what that means is open to interpretation, at least somewhat. Obviously they are looking for a long(er) term answer. Certainly Matt Corral has an opportunity at some point in the future. And Darnold and Mayfield both have to perform THIS YEAR. But, as Fitterer seemed to indicate, the Panthers have not, and WILL NOT stop looking until they are happy with the position.

Here is a little something from Panthers Wire...

PANTHERS WIRE: Scott Fitterer Indicates The Panthers Are NOT Finished WithThe QB Position.
coffee

07-15-2022, 10:21 AM -
Sounds right to me.  In all of my infinite lack of wisdom, here's what I see as the options:

a. Sam/Baker shows that he is now so good that we must keep him at all costs. (Chances: 1%)
b. Sam/Baker is good enough to keep us somewhat competitive while we wait to see if Corral pans out. (33%)
c. Sam & Baker are both so bad that we get a high draft pick that we use for a QB. (33%)
d. Sam & Baker are below average, but we get a handful of W's because of the rest of the team.  Next year's Wilson/Watson/Brady agrees to come here. (33%)
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

07-15-2022, 01:29 PM -
(07-15-2022, 10:21 AM)coffee Wrote: Sounds right to me.  In all of my infinite lack of wisdom, here's what I see as the options:

a. Sam/Baker shows that he is now so good that we must keep him at all costs. (Chances: 1%)
b. Sam/Baker is good enough to keep us somewhat competitive while we wait to see if Corral pans out. (33%)
c. Sam & Baker are both so bad that we get a high draft pick that we use for a QB. (33%)
d. Sam & Baker are below average, but we get a handful of W's because of the rest of the team.  Next year's Wilson/Watson/Brady agrees to come here. (33%)
Hmmm..... I don't know... You may have a better grasp on these guys than I do..
Do you think that either Watson or Brady is possible.??  I would say NO because... Brady agreed to come back from retirement for "one more shot". Those were his words (contextually..). Of course, Brady already reneged on his retirement once. No real reason for him not to do it again, I guess. Still. I think he (Brady..) has had enough. His skills are dropping off quickly. I think he'll want to leave on his terms...while he's still near the top. 

Watson will have little or nothing to say about his future years for quite some time. He is on a five year, Fully Guaranteed contract. He can't get out of it. But why would he want to...?? His contract is in the hands of the Browns. He could refuse to play or refuse to appear even, but he wouldn't get paid either. He is locked down for five years...or longer, depending on the suspension.

Now Wilson....The Broncos inherited his contract from Seattle. Two more years...thru 2024...before a deal HAS to be made. Of course, the Broncos are expected to negotiate a new deal for Wilson before then. Word has it that Wilson is asking for $50 Mil per year. I seriously don't believe the Panthers are in the $50 Mil market annually (especially not "guaranteed"..) which is the 'asking' price.  Of course stranger things have happened. Wilson COULD jump at any time if he refused to work/play in Denver. It would likely cost him a year's hold out and lost salary. Also, the Denver Broncos are being sold (presumptively..), so the new owners would probably want Wilson to sign a significant contract.

Of those three, Brady would be the easiest, but he lacks the interest. The other two are pretty much locked down for a while... unless Wilson wanted to take the hit and just refuse to play. I don't see it happening because he just agreed to go to Denver. Why would he change his mind.??
This post was last modified: 07-15-2022, 01:31 PM by Hobbit99.
coffee

07-15-2022, 02:41 PM -
Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant whatever QB surprisingly becomes available next year like Brady, Wilson and Watson did recently. (Next year's VERSION OF Wilson/Watson/Brady)

No, I don't think any of those will be available but I do think another disgruntled QB will look to cash in by requesting a trade and Fitterer will be in the mix if it's an upgrade over what we have.
This post was last modified: 07-15-2022, 02:44 PM by coffee.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

07-15-2022, 04:31 PM -
(07-15-2022, 02:41 PM)coffee Wrote: Sorry I wasn't clear.  I meant whatever QB surprisingly becomes available next year like Brady, Wilson and Watson did recently. (Next year's VERSION OF Wilson/Watson/Brady)

No, I don't think any of those will be available but I do think another disgruntled QB will look to cash in by requesting a trade and Fitterer will be in the mix if it's an upgrade over what we have.

Ahhh..... I see what you meant. I misunderstood.!!

And YES, I agree. I think Fitterer is 'all in' for the Panthers team. If he sees any possible upgrade, he'll take it as long as it makes sense for the team ....and makes sense fiscally. Incidentally, for any position. QB, right now, is what is hot. I think it stays hot too for a while. We drafted Corral in the 3rd. I wouldn't be surprised to see us move up next year to draft another QB. Next year's group is going to be a LOT stronger than this year.  Of course,  Corral will probably not like it, but if he proves himself, it'll work out.