Started by PantherFan007

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1 posts in this topic
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,158 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
07-13-2022, 06:04 PM -
Just watching several NFL Videos with all of the talking heads discussing and opinionating (yes, that's a real word lol) on the quarterback competition between Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold, something kind of jumped out at me that they ALL seemed to be blatantly disregarding;

What if, and yes, I'm serious... what IF, Matt Corral comes out guns a' blazing and leaves both Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold in the dust.  What then?  

Does Matt Corral win the starting job?  According to Matt Rhule and Scott Fitterer, it's an open competition.  To me, that means every quarterback on the roster has the chance to be named the starter.  

Yep, it's a hypothetical situation.  It's doubtful that it would ever happen. 

But, what IF....?

Rolleyes
This post was last modified: 07-13-2022, 06:06 PM by PantherFan007.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,769 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
07-13-2022, 07:42 PM -
Hmmm.... Since you phrased it as a hypothetical, I'll answer it the same way. Let's say something like that did happen. (Hypothetically..). What changes.?? How does it affect the contest in camp.?? 

Answer: Nothing changes. Matt Corral is a future QB. Using him some (maybe later in the year..) has NOT been ruled out. But the real issue is experience and snap counts. As you know, practice periods are severely limited....both because of the NFLPA and because of the real-time issues in camp. This includes, of course, the length of each practice period and the number of snaps available in any period as well as the overbearing heat at Wofford. There just isn't enough time in any practice period to split between 3 QBs with the #1s. One QB will have to work with the 2s and 3s. Sure, Corral will take a few 1st team snaps here and there..... But with a team to get ready and limited time available, he will have to make do with what's left over.

Another issue is the problematic course that 1st year QBs take while trying to become familiar with the NFL. Example: Remember last year when everyone (YES, here also..) was calling out the staff to "Tank for Trevor". Remember that.??  Look what happened to Trevor....one of the most NFL "ready" QBs to ever grace the field. A true "generational talent" (supposedly..). He will probably still make a good QB.... but his 1st year was a dud.!!  And he was a LOT better prepared than Matt Corral.

So....Back to the hypothetical. Nothing happens. Camp goes on just like it is planned. UNLESS....One of the guys gets hurt in camp, or gets traded. Then all bets are off.
This post was last modified: 07-15-2022, 07:47 AM by Hobbit99.