DESHAUN WATSON SUSPENDED SIX GAMES - BAKER MAYFIELD SAYS......
Started by PantherFan007

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

9 posts in this topic
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,158 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-01-2022, 04:25 PM -
Browns QB Deshaun Watson has been suspended by the NFL for violating the personal conduct policy of the NFL.

Today after practice, the press asked Baker Mayfield what he had to say about it, to which he replied,

"I would say it's none of my business.  I don't play against their quarterback, I gameplan for their defense, so it's no concern of mine. I'm here to help my team win rather I'm the starter or not, so that's all that matters to me".

Worship Worship Worship

Well done, young man, well done.
This post was last modified: 08-01-2022, 04:26 PM by PantherFan007.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,769 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-01-2022, 07:26 PM -
A decent answer.
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,194 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-01-2022, 10:59 PM -
Perfect answer. That came from pr.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

08-04-2022, 02:22 PM -
Well, the suspension is NOT final. The NFL has announced that they are appealing the ruling as per the CBA. It hasn't been announced who will be the arbitrator, who will lead the appeal hearing. Under the CBA, Goodell himself could act and assess the suspension and/or fine.  OR... The league could appoint someone to make the decision.  In any event, it would appear that the NFLPA would then file a suit in Federal court to "stay" the ruling and argue the case. 

In the intervening time, Watson COULD be allowed to play..!!!

THIS is NOT over folks.!!
coffee

238 posts 24 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-04-2022, 05:34 PM -
From a legal standpoint, I have no opinion other than I hope justice is done. With so many accusations, it's easy to assume guilt. With his fame and fortune, it's easy to imagine a group of plotting gold-diggers. But I realize that I'm not privy to the 'behind-closed-doors' info and that our news is from reporters who also are not privy to it but are paid to sound like they are.

From a purely football standpoint, I don't mind the idea of us not facing him, but then the Bucs and Saints do.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

08-05-2022, 12:40 AM -
(08-04-2022, 05:34 PM)coffee Wrote: From a legal standpoint, I have no opinion other than I hope justice is done.  With so many accusations, it's easy to assume guilt.  With his fame and fortune, it's easy to imagine a group of plotting gold-diggers.  But I realize that I'm not privy to the 'behind-closed-doors' info and that our news is from reporters who also are not privy to it but are paid to sound like they are. 

From a purely football standpoint, I don't mind the idea of us not facing him, but then the Bucs and Saints do.

Agreed...
However, we should keep in mind that this issue is NOT about his guilt or innocence. Its about the game of football, the team, and the league. And of course, it's about those folks who benefit from the game, the team, and the league. This includes all of the fans as well as those who benefit economically. Succinctly then, it's about his "personal conduct."  It doesn't matter if what he did was 'illegal' or 'against the law'.  If it reflects badly on the game, the team, or the league, then he has violated the 'personal conduct' policy, and is liable for his actions. He can (should and will..) be held responsible by fines and suspension leveled by the league..(and in some cases by his own team..).  His conduct was SO FAR over the line as to be incomprehensible.  

If we lived in a nation-state where women were habitually demeaned, downtrodden, and politically scorned, then we wouldn't be having this conversation. Fortunately for all of us, women in this country are valued (typically..). So when something like this happens there is a tremendous amount of angst among players, fans, and the public. This definitely casts the game, the team, and the league in a very bad light.

More to your point about a "group of plotting gold-diggers." I fail to see ANY group of women of that number capable of sustaining a confab and/or a formal focused declaration of this kind for this long. The initial arbiter is a well respected judge. She wrote a painful decision (15 pages...I THINK..) naming the undoubted actions as "egregious". She came out publicly and said that his actions were without a doubt. She seemed to indicate that the reason for a six game suspension instead of far more, was because there was no historical cases of this type to use as 'guidance' for punishment. There was no precedent. ---- Well, of course there wasn't. Nothing of this scope has EVER happened before.

Too often, the league, the NFL, has sort of 'squinted', held their breath, frowned and looked the other way when something of a calamitous nature involving league personnel has happened. All too often the offender gets away with these "egregious" actions and goes unpunished, or receives a slap across the fingers. It's time.... NO, it's past time for this to change. In todays NFL, women make up a VERY large percentage, 47%, of the fanbase. THEY won't stand for this type of thing continuing across the league.... And neither should the rest of us.!!
coffee

08-05-2022, 07:56 AM -
I think you and I are actually on the same page, with one small exception. I have experience being in a position where I was responsible for helping or trying to help some through terrible situations somewhat similar to this. Obviously not as famous and very different circumstances, but close enough that I feel I can learn one lesson:

I've spoken in depth to some who went through years of abuse and couldn't muster the courage to speak up. That could easily sway me to take the side of the women in this case if not for the one lesson I've learned.

I've also helped some deal with conspiracies or apparent conspiracies. There is one of those where I know for a fact the person is innocent and yet you would be amazed at the elaborate web that was woven making them appear guilty of something unimaginable. It is horribly frustrating to hear people telling me that they think they know enough of the facts that they are absolutely sure this person is guilty. That experience could easily sway me in the other direction.

But the lesson I have learned is that there is always, always so much more to these stories than we know. So, I try to force myself to avoid opinions of guilt/innocence if I have not spoken with those involved and gotten both sides.

The reason I explain all of this is simply so you will know that I am not being aloof or heartless in the matter when I focus my comments only on the football aspect.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

08-05-2022, 01:14 PM -
(08-05-2022, 07:56 AM)coffee Wrote: I think you and I are actually on the same page, with one small exception.  I have experience being in a position where I was responsible for helping or trying to help some through terrible situations somewhat similar to this.  Obviously not as famous and very different circumstances, but close enough that I feel I can learn one lesson:

I've spoken in depth to some who went through years of abuse and couldn't muster the courage to speak up.  That could easily sway me to take the side of the women in this case if not for the one lesson I've learned.

I've also helped some deal with conspiracies or apparent conspiracies.  There is one of those where I know for a fact the person is innocent and yet you would be amazed at the elaborate web that was woven making them appear guilty of something unimaginable.  It is horribly frustrating to hear people telling me that they think they know enough of the facts that they are absolutely sure this person is guilty.  That experience could easily sway me in the other direction.

But the lesson I have learned is that there is always, always so much more to these stories than we know.  So, I try to force myself to avoid opinions of guilt/innocence if I have not spoken with those involved and gotten both sides.

The reason I explain all of this is simply so you will know that I am not being aloof or heartless in the matter when I focus my comments only on the football aspect.

I respect you, brother. !!
I also have been there and understand your reticence to 'condemn' an act without proof. I would just say (to ANYONE interested..) that the judge's ruling should be mandatory reading. I've read it. She makes a strong case based on legal principals. The fact (and it IS a fact..) that Watson was not prosecuted does NOT indicate his innocence.

I have severe doubts about Watson's 'ideas' on this matter. And THAT alone is enough to make me hold up my hands and say "Stop"---"Hold On"---"Wait A Minute".  I can express myself on this issue without concern. I am not embarrassed. I am an 'older' fan who has seen and experienced much over the years. There is almost nothing that would surprise me.

My 'Tagline' across the digital web is "A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind." I hold to those principals. Old  My 'Tagline', that stance, requires me to consider the possibility that I could be wrong. My position is not 'set in stone'. So I offer the chance to make me see the light. I will happily admit to my errors in thinking when it happens. So, lets have a discussion on the 'merits'. Here's a chance to smack an 'old guy' in the chops.!!  Go ahead...... "Change My Mind"Smile
coffee

08-05-2022, 02:43 PM -
I think your tagline fits you quite well!
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

08-05-2022, 06:06 PM -
So.... The six game suspension as articulated by the judge against Deshaun Watson has been appealed by the NFL. This appeal process throws the responsibility back to the league as written in the CBA between the NFL and the NFLPA. The commissioner (Goodell..) can either handle it himself or hand it over once again to a 3rd party. As part of the process, the NFLPA has two days to respond to the appeal notification, which time-frame ends today. Word on the street indicates that the Player's Association (NFLPA..) has submitted it's formal response this afternoon. This action will cause the appeal process to move forward without delay.

The appeal process requires the NFL to decide how to handle the appeal. Goodell has apparently done so. To keep all indications open and "above-board", he has turned the appeal process over to a 3rd party once again. So, once again, like with Judge Sue L. Robinson, Commissioner Goodell will not be personally involved. Former New Jersey Attorney General, Peter C. Harvey, will hear the appeal and rule on it.

ESPN:  N.J. Attorney General Peter C. Harvey To Hear Watson Appeal

As I mentioned previously, The NFLPA had until today to respond to the appeal process. They have apparently done so this afternoon.

PRO FOOTBALL TALK:  NFLPA Files Reply Brief To Watson Suspension Appeal

When THIS process is over, the idea of a lawsuit in Federal court still remains a possibility. The NFLPA is known to utilize the threat of a Federal lawsuit to further their cause. If filed, the lawsuit may have as a consequence the temporary 'hold' of any punishment against Watson. This COULD allow Watson to play starting in game #1.

And the worm turns....