Random Football Thoughts
Started by coffee

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

6 posts in this topic
coffee

238 posts 24 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-10-2022, 08:40 AM -
1. If JJ Jansen plays 13 more games, he takes Kasay's record as the longest tenured Panther.  This should occur on Dec 11 against the Seahawks.  After the game, I propose that DJ Moore (#2) and CMC (#22) should give him their game jerseys to honor this record of 222 games.

2. I think I have the perfect overtime adjustment. Return to the old sudden death rules with one exception:  Instead of giving an unfair advantage, winning the overtime coin toss means you decide where the ball will be placed on the field.  Then the other team decides if they want to go on offense or defense from that spot.  Then just play ball.  No more blaming the rules or complaining if you didn't get the ball.  All blame would go to how you played and the decision you made at the coin toss.

3. All playoff tiebreakers eventually work down to simply flipping a coin.  Preseason records should be used just prior to flipping a coin.  It would not make enough of a difference to coaches and players to alter their approach but it would make it more exciting to the fans.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,769 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-10-2022, 08:31 PM -
(08-10-2022, 08:40 AM)coffee Wrote: 1. If JJ Jansen plays 13 more games, he takes Kasay's record as the longest tenured Panther.  This should occur on Dec 11 against the Seahawks.  After the game, I propose that DJ Moore (#2) and CMC (#22) should give him their game jerseys to honor this record of 222 games.

I LIKE the way you think.!!  Now if only we can get CMc & DJ behind your idea..!!  This would actually be a great idea...

2. I think I have the perfect overtime adjustment. Return to the old sudden death rules with one exception:  Instead of giving an unfair advantage, winning the overtime coin toss means you decide where the ball will be placed on the field.  Then the other team decides if they want to go on offense or defense from that spot.  Then just play ball.  No more blaming the rules or complaining if you didn't get the ball.  All blame would go to how you played and the decision you made at the coin toss.

Wow....I can see it now. You've started a "thing".  Before every game the Captains get together for a coin toss and no one gets to complain afterwards.  Hmmm.....  Wondering though... Wouldn't the winner of the toss automatically place the ball on the 50 to counter the other teams 'option'??  And who decides which team goes which direction. That would REALLY affect MY choice of ball position....If I understand your rules correctly.??  I mean If I won the toss I would first want to know the direction of travel. Then I would place the ball on the 1 yd line forcing them to go on offense with a 99 yd field. I just KNOW they wouldn't pick defense giving me a 1yd short field.... At least I don't think they would...!!

3. All playoff tiebreakers eventually work down to simply flipping a coin.  Preseason records should be used just prior to flipping a coin.  It would not make enough of a difference to coaches and players to alter their approach but it would make it more exciting to the fans.

You know... you put some thought into this stuff.  Very nicely done...!!
coffee

08-10-2022, 09:00 PM -
(08-10-2022, 08:31 PM)Hobbit99 Wrote:
(08-10-2022, 08:40 AM)coffee Wrote: 2. I think I have the perfect overtime adjustment. Return to the old sudden death rules with one exception:  Instead of giving an unfair advantage, winning the overtime coin toss means you decide where the ball will be placed on the field.  Then the other team decides if they want to go on offense or defense from that spot.  Then just play ball.  No more blaming the rules or complaining if you didn't get the ball.  All blame would go to how you played and the decision you made at the coin toss.

Wow....I can see it now. You've started a "thing".  Before every game the Captains get together for a coin toss and no one gets to complain afterwards.  Hmmm.....  Wondering though... Wouldn't the winner of the toss automatically place the ball on the 50 to counter the other teams 'option'??  And who decides which team goes which direction. That would REALLY affect MY choice of ball position....If I understand your rules correctly.??  I mean If I won the toss I would first want to know the direction of travel. Then I would place the ball on the 1 yd line forcing them to go on offense with a 99 yd field. I just KNOW they wouldn't pick defense giving me a 1yd short field.... At least I don't think they would...!!

I didn't make it clear.  If you win the OVERTIME coin toss, you say: "We want the ball placed on the ___ yard line going that way."  My guess is that most teams would pick somewhere around the 7 or 8 yard line so that whoever goes on offense would have to go 92/93 yards to reach the endzone.  Then, the other team would make the decision "Do we want to take the ball and assume we can move it that far?  Or is it backed up so far that we'd be better off trusting our defense to stop them."

They would try to find the magic spot that would make it very difficult for the other team to know whether to take the ball or to go on defense because it's backed up too far.  After all, it's an advantage to have the ball first in sudden death overtime.  But if you are backed up too close to your own endzone, it actually becomes a disadvantage because you're just trying to get it far enough out to punt.  The trick would be finding that magic yard line that was far enough back to make the decision hard.  

The reason the decision would be hard is because it would no longer be an advantage whichever way you go, offense or defense.  In other words, it would be fair because both teams got to make a decision instead of just one team winning the coin toss and making a decision that gives them the advantage.

(It's basically the same thing parents do when they have two kids that always claim the other kid got the bigger dish of ice cream.  Savvy parents get one kid to make two equal bowls of ice cream and then let the second kid decide which of those bowls he wants.  It takes away their ability to claim they weren't given a fair shot.)
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

08-11-2022, 01:20 PM -
(08-10-2022, 09:00 PM)coffee Wrote: I didn't make it clear.  If you win the OVERTIME coin toss, you say: "We want the ball placed on the ___ yard line going that way."  My guess is that most teams would pick somewhere around the 7 or 8 yard line so that whoever goes on offense would have to go 92/93 yards to reach the endzone.  Then, the other team would make the decision "Do we want to take the ball and assume we can move it that far?  Or is it backed up so far that we'd be better off trusting our defense to stop them."

They would try to find the magic spot that would make it very difficult for the other team to know whether to take the ball or to go on defense because it's backed up too far.  After all, it's an advantage to have the ball first in sudden death overtime.  But if you are backed up too close to your own endzone, it actually becomes a disadvantage because you're just trying to get it far enough out to punt.  The trick would be finding that magic yard line that was far enough back to make the decision hard.  

The reason the decision would be hard is because it would no longer be an advantage whichever way you go, offense or defense.  In other words, it would be fair because both teams got to make a decision instead of just one team winning the coin toss and making a decision that gives them the advantage.

(It's basically the same thing parents do when they have two kids that always claim the other kid got the bigger dish of ice cream.  Savvy parents get one kid to make two equal bowls of ice cream and then let the second kid decide which of those bowls he wants.  It takes away their ability to claim they weren't given a fair shot.)

Oh....You made it clear enough.... I just didn't read it thoroughly.!!  Bag

YEP....

As long as they know which way they're going, it would probably work.!!  Lots of potential for "psyching" a team. Have to be careful giving the ball to a team who has Aaron Rogers or Tom Brady though.  Might backfire on you..!!
coffee

08-11-2022, 04:29 PM -
Yeah, I thought it would normally be around the 7 yard line but, in a game like last season's Bills/Chiefs shootout, they'd probably pick the 2 or 3 yard line.
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,158 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-11-2022, 05:29 PM -
You know, speaking of JJ Jansen, I found it notable that they cut last year's 6th round pick, Long Snapper Thomas Fletcher. I kinda thought he was going to be JJ's replacement, but I guess not.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

08-11-2022, 06:34 PM -
(08-11-2022, 05:29 PM)PantherFan007 Wrote: You know, speaking of JJ Jansen, I found it notable that they cut last year's 6th round pick, Long Snapper Thomas Fletcher.  I kinda thought he was going to be JJ's replacement, but I guess not.

Interesting situation.  Long Snappers don't get a lot of wear and tear on their bodies. I would expect Jansen to go about as long as he wants to. He'll probably retire before too long. But seriously, I don't think there is another LS in the league who is better day after day, snap after snap. If I remember correctly Jansen has had ONE (1..) bad snap in the last twelve years. Fletcher was a good snapper. Just bad timing I think.  We may bring him back (or not..??) if/when Jansen announces his retirement. Add to that, Fletcher being on IR for half the season last year.... something about a "hip" injury..???

I seriously think (guess..??) that one of our existing centers must have some LS experience in their past. We have three known quantities at Center since Elflein moved over from Guard and we picked up Bozeman. Those two along with Tecklenburg give us a lot of options at Center and Guard.
This post was last modified: 08-11-2022, 06:39 PM by Hobbit99.