OFFICIAL PRESEASON GAMEDAY 2 THREAD - PANTHERS @ PATRIOTS!
Started by PantherFan007

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

10 posts in this topic
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,158 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-19-2022, 05:39 AM -
Gooooooooooooooo Panthers!    I think we might see a healthy dose of Matt Corral and PJ Walker this evening.

Kickoff is at 7 p.m. EST.

https://www.panthers.com/news/how-to-wat...son-week-2

WATCH ON TV

TELEVISION BROADCAST IN MARKET: Panthers fans can watch on their local affiliate networks if they are in the market areas listed below, including WJZY in Charlotte.

On The Call: Taylor Zarzour, Steve Smith Sr., Kristen Balboni

TELEVISION BROADCAST OUT OF MARKET: NFL Network will broadcast Friday night's game nationally. That broadcast is subject to blackout in local markets.
Table inside Article
City, State Station Network
Augusta, Ga. WJBF ABC
Charleston, S.C. WCSC CBS
Charlotte, N.C. WJZY FOX
Columbia, S.C. WACH FOX
Florence/Myrtle Beach WBTW CBS
Greensboro, N.C. WFMY CBS
Greenville, N.C. WITN NBC
Greenville/Spartanburg, S.C. WYFF NBC
Raleigh, N.C. WRAL NBC
Roanoke, Va. WDBJ CBS
Outer Banks, N.C. WVEC ABC
Savannah, Ga. WJCL ABC
Wilmington, N.C. WSFX FOX

WATCH ON MOBILE/APP

Fans can watch games for FREE online through Panthers.com and the Panthers' app if the user is within the regional broadcast area. Make sure to enable location services on your device to be verified for streaming. Click here to view on Panthers.com and enable location services to verify access.

Links for streaming will be available at the start of the game at the top of Panthers.com and the app.

LISTEN LIVE

LOCAL RADIO BROADCAST: 99.7 FM The Fox in Charlotte market, click here for a full list of affiliate stations..

On The Call: Anish Shroff, Kurt Coleman, Jim Szoke, Kevin Donnalley

The Panthers Radio Network features eight hours of game-day coverage, beginning three hours before the game and concluding with two hours of wrap-up reaction and postgame analysis.

Click here to listen to the radio broadcast live online, starting at 4 p.m. ET on Friday. The broadcast is available nationwide on desktop computers and in the Charlotte region on mobile phones. It is also available in the Panthers app by clicking the Live Radio icon on the top of the home screen.

SOCIAL MEDIA: Follow the Panthers for live updates and behind-the-scenes content during the game.
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,194 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-19-2022, 05:58 PM -
Go fellas!
Firstchance

716 posts 81 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-19-2022, 09:29 PM -
Two reasons why we don’t trade Darnold. Reason #1 we would have to pay half if not more of his salary. #2 what we saw tonight.
Firstchance

716 posts 81 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-20-2022, 08:56 AM -
Convince me that I’m incorrect

I just don’t understand the Rhule reasoning. Why not play the two guys that are in a QB competition? It clear, crystal clear, the two that played last night are no close to being NFL caliber QB’s and after you spend a very high draft choice on one of them, you know who are keeping. Yet, you have one possible starting guy who has only been with the team for a month and BOTH that are playing in a brand new offense. One will start and the other will back up. Would you not want to give them all the “live” game reps that are possible, yet reasonable… like first and second quarters. Is your “plan” going to be we will figure it out next week or the first week on the regular season? I’m just not understanding… but I have been wrong before.

My prediction, 0-3 start, Rhule finally goes away…we suffer through the rest of this season and we are right back where we were in needing a new coach, new philosophy and another two or three years just to rebuild.

Certainly open for thoughts.

Updated: bad break for Corral, hope he heals fully. I also hope he puts in the time while recovering in the QB room and improving his trade. Now maybe Walker can go to the PS, I don’t see anyone picking him up, as an insurance policy. Still doesn’t make sense to not allow your top two to get real game action in a brand new offense.
This post was last modified: 08-20-2022, 06:21 PM by Firstchance.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,769 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-21-2022, 04:28 AM -
So, First...   Are you certain that you want to be convinced..??  You're not wrong...at least not completely (IMHO..). But there are some things that need to be considered....

Everyone (YES, everyone..) has a tendency to believe that their position (opinion, idea, understanding..) is the "right" one. I am not faulting you for thinking you're right. In fact, I think you are correct a big bunch of the time. However, there are some fallacies at work here. The one I just mentioned affects all of us, and that is okay as long as we allow for the possibility that we COULD be wrong.!!  So, when I find myself thinking "boy, that was a stupid decision", I remember my self-professed tagline..."A reasoned response from a reasonable mind."  Like most of us, I have a tendency to let my "bias" overload my brain.

In this case, I would ask that you consider the case of Ikem Ekwonu. 'Icky' will most likely turn into a first quality OT. I know we all hope so. BUT... How many of us were constantly and blatantly demeaning the coaches because he wasn't playing with the 1's.? It was a constant bother. Still, Rhule said on multiple occasions that Eksonu "was young" and that he "had a lot to learn" and a "long way to go".  Well....guess what.?  Coach was (is..) right. Ekwonu has a LOT of upside. But, truthfully, he has had his butt handed to him multiple times in the last 10 days against Washington and NE.  He NEEDS time and WORK. He has allowed three or four sacks in those two games and multiple pressures. In other words, he's NOT ready.  He's going to get eaten alive by the good pass rushers in this league.  Right now, Brady Christensen is a MUCH better pass defender than Ekwonu.  But...we'll play him out there .... hopefully no one gets hurt.  The same folks who were 'counseling' the coaches about how to do their job with Ekwonu were doing the same with Matt Corral. Everyone has seen how that worked out the last couple of games.....  There is always a lot of 'excitement' at draft time. "We're gonna get 'em now".!!   Sadly, it's a 'rare bird' that makes any kind of a splash their first year.

NOW...I know all of that ^^^, is not what you commented about. Still, can you see the parallels.?? We've had those two guys 'knocking heads' since the start of camp. We have to get a TEAM ready to play. AND, we need to avoid as many injuries as possible. So, we rest our #1's (almost exclusively..) and let the 2's and 3's play. WHY..???   Because we have to, it's a MUST situation. WE MUST evaluate all those guys. And the next 'cut' is only two days away. Besides that, both of those guys got LOTS of reps during the week against the Patriots #1's. Why put them out there when there is so little to gain.??  Think about it like this..... If we play Mayfield and Darnold we would HAVE to play our #1 O-line guys. Otherwise, what would you learn.?? So we play our #1 offense against their #1 defense. And Ekwonu gets beat several times, and maybe others as well. QBs hit the ground...  AND, to add insult to injury, we would lose all of the 2nd and 3rd team reps and would be faced with cutting players who didn't get a chance...

So, for me, I'm happy they played it the way they did. I learned that Brandon Smith and Arron Mosby are tough guys and can play LB...where we will most likely need them. Amare Barno is a 'fast twitch' guy and plays like a 2nd rounder instead of a 6th. Boy, we got some value there.!! I learned that Tecklenburg is a decent C...like last year, and Cade Mays can play C as well.  So yeah, we still have a QB competition (well...maybe ??), but we definitely learned a lot this week about the TEAM.!! Besides, those guys are back at it this week and will play next against Buffalo. It may not be the best situation, but I'm okay with it. The 2's and 3's need a chance .... we're probably going to need them .... and we have about a week (9 days..) before final cut-down.

Last thing..... I know some folks don't particularly care for Rhule. But, I'm convinced that he wants the best for the team. He WANTS to win. You can bet on that.!!
PantherFan007
Administrator

08-22-2022, 08:41 AM -
I prefer seeing Mayfield starting with Darnold as backup. Corral is probably lost for the season, and PJ Walker is not a great backup option unless your team is seriously without a wildcat plan. Just my opinion.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

08-22-2022, 08:35 PM -
(08-22-2022, 08:41 AM)PantherFan007 Wrote: I prefer seeing Mayfield starting with Darnold as backup.  Corral is probably lost for the season, and PJ Walker is not a great backup option unless your team is seriously without a wildcat plan.  Just my opinion.

Neither of the two (Walker or Corral..) are serious QB options in the NFL right now. Corral has potential, but I still think there is a question about his ability to lead a NFL team. As I've mentioned several times, none of the QBs in this year's draft are great prospects. Hope remains for Corral, but now we'll have to wait it out. As for the other TWO.... ¿Quien Sabe?  Those two are so close in talent level there is very little room to choose between them.  The 'Big Cheese' has made his decision though.......   We will now see how good Mayfield is...?????
PantherFan007
Administrator

08-23-2022, 05:37 AM -
One thing I do like about Corral, and I noticed it right away after Baker came here; Matt Corral follows Baker Mayfield around like a puppy, learning all he can from him. That will bode well for Corral should he become a starter in the NFL one day.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

08-23-2022, 08:58 AM -
(08-23-2022, 05:37 AM)PantherFan007 Wrote: One thing I do like about Corral, and I noticed it right away after Baker came here; Matt Corral follows Baker Mayfield around like a puppy, learning all he can from him.  That will bode well for Corral should he become a starter in the NFL one day.

Yeah... Biggrin  Just what we need..... A QB with a man-crush.  SMH...
PantherFan007
Administrator

08-23-2022, 03:20 PM -
(08-23-2022, 08:58 AM)Hobbit99 Wrote:
(08-23-2022, 05:37 AM)PantherFan007 Wrote: One thing I do like about Corral, and I noticed it right away after Baker came here; Matt Corral follows Baker Mayfield around like a puppy, learning all he can from him.  That will bode well for Corral should he become a starter in the NFL one day.

Yeah... Biggrin  Just what we need..... A QB with a man-crush.  SMH...

Well.... as long as he doesn't injure a neck muscle if Baker Mayfield turns a corner too quickly lolv Joker