THE CAROLINA PANTHERS 2022 STARTING QUARTERBACK OFFICIALLY IS.......
Started by PantherFan007

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

14 posts in this topic
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,158 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-22-2022, 12:16 PM -
Baker Mayfield!

[Image: umuyxibypdnfbr5t7wdn.jpg]

Just announced on the Panthers Website.

https://www.panthers.com/news/baker-mayf...uarterback
This post was last modified: 08-22-2022, 12:29 PM by PantherFan007.
coffee

238 posts 24 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-22-2022, 03:30 PM -
Last year:

#1 Darnold
#2 PJ
No CMC
Horrible O-line

This year (hopefully):

#1 Baker
#2 Darnold
Healthy CMC
Improved O-line

I was hopeful but not sure if I'd like Darnold as QB1 even with improved line and CMac back. I AM sure that I REALLY like Darnold as our #2. I'm not gonna predict Super Bowl or division or anything, but I'm excited to see how all of these changes affect our offense.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,769 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-22-2022, 09:02 PM -
(08-22-2022, 03:30 PM)coffee Wrote: Last year:

#1 Darnold
#2 PJ
No CMC
Horrible O-line

This year (hopefully):

#1 Baker
#2 Darnold
Healthy CMC
Improved O-line

I was hopeful but not sure if I'd like Darnold as QB1 even with improved line and CMac back.  I AM sure that I REALLY like Darnold as our #2.  I'm not gonna predict Super Bowl or division or anything, but I'm excited to see how all of these changes affect our offense.

Well....... with both of those guys available, we DEFINITELY are better than last year at that position.  AND the O-line is DEFINITELY improved as well.  AND, if CMc can stay healthy..... well, 'the sky is the limit'.

Fingers crossed Coffee.  You're my new favorite prognosticator this year.!!  Hmm... actually, you're my ONLY favorite prognosticator this year.   Worship
This post was last modified: 08-22-2022, 09:03 PM by Hobbit99.
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,158 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-23-2022, 05:31 AM -
I read a couple of knee-jerk articles yesterday about how Baker Mayfield had a "bad day at practice" immediately after being named starter. They were referring to Baker throwing a pick-six to Jaycee Horn, who ran it back. But the media will create "news" if it cannot find any. A different article mentioned the pick-six, but it also stated that it came back because the Defense had jumped offside. If that's all they can come up with, they are grasping at straws.

During his post-practice news conference yesterday afternoon, Baker mentioned the coach Rhule had "thrown everything" at them, upping the stakes and trying to get them better conditioned, so I'll take that in practice any day over having it shoved down your throat during a game.
coffee

08-23-2022, 07:54 AM -
I forgot to add that we have an OC with NFL experience. 

Still a lot of ifs.

Hobbit, you and I spoke a bunch about our Baker concerns.  I still have them, but he did appear to soundly win the job from Sam.  I was (am) also concerned about the high amount of INTs.  About the same as Sam.  But it finally occurred to me that Baker takes tons of down the field shots so of course he'll have more INTs.  High risk/high reward.

So, if he can keep his demeanor in check, I at least don't think we've gotten worse at QB1.  But we've gotten drastically better at QB2.  So, I think our floor is much higher.  Yet to see where the ceiling is.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

08-23-2022, 08:39 AM -
Agreed Coffee.....At least most of it. There is no doubt that we are better at the position on the whole. NO doubt.  But I have to say, I don't think just the QB is/was the problem (or the answer..). This is still very much a team sport. Without a very good supporting cast, a fantastic QB1 is just an "also-ran". We bombed out last year because of the loss of McCaffrey (mostly..). Our offense was driven by his presence even when he wasn't touching the ball. Without him and his 'potential' the OPFOR defense was "teeing off" on us. And it's liable to be the same way this year if we cannot field a decent running game from someone other than CMc. The offense needs "balance" to be effective.

As far as the difference between the QBs......I just don't know.  Not saying you're wrong. Maybe you have seen things this year that I haven't.  But frankly, I don't see Mayfield as being 'dramatically' better so far this year. So, based on what I've seen.....Did he "soundly" win the job.??  Hmm...I don't know. I watched a couple of practices....and both of the games (TV..). Seems to me they were very closely matched.  YES, I know all the "talking heads" are blowing up over Mayfield.....Gushing about how "good" he looks.  REALLY..??  They want him to do good so their CBG (Crystal Ball Gazing..) makes THEM look better.  More "clicks"...etc., etc.  What all of them are alluding to is the fact that the Panthers went out and traded for Mayfield.  THEREFORE... the Panthers MUST plan on starting him.  Why else would they do it.??  That is the current line of reasoning.  Are they right.???  Who knows what the staff are REALLY thinking.  I don't....!!

There is a lot to talk about when it comes to those two QBs.  Maybe we'll take it up again.!!
This post was last modified: 08-24-2022, 05:14 PM by Hobbit99.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

08-23-2022, 05:56 PM -
(08-23-2022, 05:31 AM)PantherFan007 Wrote: I read a couple of knee-jerk articles yesterday about how Baker Mayfield had a "bad day at practice" immediately after being named starter.  They were referring to Baker throwing a pick-six to Jaycee Horn, who ran it back.  But the media will create "news" if it cannot find any.  A different article mentioned the pick-six, but it also stated that it came back because the Defense had jumped offside.  If that's all they can come up with, they are grasping at straws.  

During his post-practice news conference yesterday afternoon, Baker mentioned the coach Rhule had "thrown everything" at them, upping the stakes and trying to get them better conditioned, so I'll take that in practice any day over having it shoved down your throat during a game.

Agreed... There is a lot of extemporaneous BS flying around.  But truthfully, it wasn't ALL about the pick-6.  There were several other factors involved as well. Doesn't really matter though. It's all just BS talking..... Until it isn't.  We'll have to wait and see how things "shake out".  

I think the 'sound bite' about having "thrown everything" at them was probably true. Coach is trying to put some pressure on them. The higher level of exposure and higher level of expectation is definitely good for them.!!
coffee

08-24-2022, 07:52 AM -
Agreed that we run through CMC. That's still a major concern. Looking good at this point, but it was also looking good at this point last year. O-line is hopefully better but still an unknown. I actually think it is the biggest key. It was pathetic watching any and all QBs try to do anything last year. I doubt we could've even gotten many of the checkdowns if CMC had been there with as fast as the pocket collapsed. I don't think CMC/QB/McAdoo matter in the slightest if the O-line isn't improved.

I'm basing the 'Baker won soundly' assumption on following the twitter posts of each play/pass/etc. I agree that the preseason showing was close. I still give the edge to Baker, but it's the practice sessions that stood out to me. Each day it seemed that Baker had done a bit more good/less bad than Darnold. But you know i'm with you on the wait-&-see attitude.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

08-24-2022, 05:38 PM -
The word on the street.....

Baker Mayfield will start the game against the Bills. We all knew that. The latest quotes are saying that Rhule is planning to play Mayfield into the 2nd quarter. He is quoted as saying that it could be less or it could be more..... YEP...that's sayin' it. Pretty declarative that...  Into the second quarter...or less.... or more.  YUP....sounds like a plan for sure.

PANTHERS WIRE:   Mayfield To Play--For Sure...
This post was last modified: 08-24-2022, 06:35 PM by Hobbit99.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

08-24-2022, 10:32 PM -
Here is what Matt Rhule had to say: Yesterday and today.....

PANTHERS.COM:  Tuesday---Rhule's Update

PANTHERS.COM:  Wednesday---Rhule Talks QBs, Receivers, Roster Cuts
This post was last modified: 08-24-2022, 10:41 PM by Hobbit99.