Do we trade?
Started by Firstchance

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

14 posts in this topic
Firstchance

715 posts 81 threads Joined: Dec 2019
10-07-2022, 06:13 PM -
Considering where we are and knowing what it will take to get this team back to being competitive… do we trade what, if any, actual assets we may have.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,764 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
10-07-2022, 07:36 PM -
The question begs asking......

"Trade for what...??"
Firstchance

10-08-2022, 11:19 AM -
(10-07-2022, 07:36 PM)Hobbit99 Wrote: The question begs asking......

"Trade for what...??"

An abundance of draft picks to help promote what is sure to be a rebuild. In my opinion…. Not to mention the opportunity to clear up cap space so that we can be aggressive when the time is right.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

10-08-2022, 01:48 PM -
(10-08-2022, 11:19 AM)Firstchance Wrote:
(10-07-2022, 07:36 PM)Hobbit99 Wrote: The question begs asking......

"Trade for what...??"

An abundance of draft picks to help promote what is sure to be a rebuild. In my opinion…. Not to mention the opportunity to clear up cap space so that we can be aggressive when the time is right.

SMH.... I don't know. We have a solid core on defense. We also have a decent O-line, and getting better. No, we are NOT a complete team, but not ready for a complete rebuild either. We had a good, solid, off-season last year. Picked up a lot of support. Made a lot of gains.  One thing I feel pretty certain about..... Trading away GOOD proven talent for unproven, mostly unplayable, college rookies is an exercise in futility.  I base that statement on the "hit rate" for drafted rookies in the NFL.  It's not GOOD.!  And, it's not an exact science.

Once you have good players you hold on to them, and build around them... You don't throw them away and 'hope' to start over with a bunch of college junk rookies (IMHO..).  YES, I know I said "junk". But the truth is..... The "hit rate" on draftees in the NFL is less than 50%....And when you get into the 4th round and later, it's WAY less than that.

Just my opinion, of course.  And I'm frequently wrong. So, there's that.....
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,157 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
10-09-2022, 12:34 PM -
You know, when Matt Rhule and company came in and in their very first draft, they selected ONLY Defense. That's what I call "putting your eggs in one basket". Some of those guys from that Draft are no longer here, or have made little to no impact.

When you start out on the wrong foot, it's hard to get back in step unless you do something drastic.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

10-09-2022, 03:49 PM -
(10-09-2022, 12:34 PM)PantherFan007 Wrote: You know, when Matt Rhule and company came in and in their very first draft, they selected ONLY Defense.  That's what I call "putting your eggs in one basket".  Some of those guys from that Draft are no longer here, or have made little to no impact. 

When you start out on the wrong foot, it's hard to get back in step unless you do something drastic.

AGREED---007

But it wouldn't have mattered in the overall scheme, who we drafted or when... There will ALWAYS be a certain percentage of 'mortality' in your draftees. Offensive---Defensive---doesn't matter. You're going to lose a big percentage of them.

So... "...do something drastic"..???  What does that mean..??  Are you saying we need to 'start over' once again...??   Huh   I sure wish someone would jump up and tell us what we need to do.!!

A problem without a solution is like breathing air without oxygen.--- It feels okay for a minute or so, but ultimately that choice is gonna get you....
Cry Fbcry
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,192 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
10-09-2022, 03:57 PM -
Great analogy hobbit
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,157 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
10-09-2022, 07:17 PM -
(10-09-2022, 03:49 PM)Hobbit99 Wrote:
(10-09-2022, 12:34 PM)PantherFan007 Wrote: You know, when Matt Rhule and company came in and in their very first draft, they selected ONLY Defense.  That's what I call "putting your eggs in one basket".  Some of those guys from that Draft are no longer here, or have made little to no impact. 

AGREED---007

But it wouldn't have mattered in the overall scheme, who we drafted or when... There will ALWAYS be a certain percentage of 'mortality' in your draftees. Offensive---Defensive---doesn't matter. You're going to lose a big percentage of them.

So... "...do something drastic"..???  What does that mean..??  Are you saying we need to 'start over' once again...??   Huh   I sure wish someone would jump up and tell us what we need to do.!!

A problem without a solution is like breathing air without oxygen.--- It feels okay for a minute or so, but ultimately that choice is gonna get you....
Cry Fbcry

We are oxygen deprived at the moment and I don't see an air line in sight.  

"Drastic" means to go all out, make some tough choices to fix what needs fixing right now, and start winning football games.  Could it mean trading a popular player?  It could.  I could see offering up DJ Moore (I am a huge fan of DJ, but apparently Baker isn't).  He's underutilized and could bring in some "right now" talent in a trade.
Firstchance

10-09-2022, 07:45 PM -
I know we are 1-4 but I’m not sure we even have the best 1-4 team in the nfl.

Was anyone able to count the empty seats today?

On the bright side, we play the lions on Christmas Eve so it’s possible we could have a Merry Christmas with a second victory.
This post was last modified: 10-09-2022, 07:54 PM by Firstchance.
BlackCatzFan

370 posts 43 threads Joined: Dec 2019
10-09-2022, 08:17 PM -
There were definitely a lot more red seats and empty seats than Carolina fans in the crowd. Looked like a SF home game.

Back to the topic, I use an answer that’s been said to what’s been asked…. Do we trade? For what/with what?

For a coach?